Hotel plaza de Armas

wecruztheworld

We are staying here in November. From the reviews on TripAdvisor, this hotel appears to be a hidden gem in the Old town of San Juan, at a great price.

We booked 3 suites, spoke to the manager at the hotel and he was wonderful, we asked for rooms side-by-side and he said he will make sure of it, even if he has to give one room an upgrade at no charge. Spanish balconies overlooking the plaza, around the block from the Cathedral, across the street from all the shops in San Juan -- can't beat it! Bonus to us is an elevator, no lugging heavy luggage up a few flights of stairs like most of the other older Old San Juan hotels! Another bonus is NO RESORT FEES! Every other hotel in San Juan charges upwards of $30 a day for a "resort fee". Even better is that there is a taxi stand AND the FREE Trolley stop right outside the front door.

We really wanted a room in Old San Juan, would have loved to be at El Convento but it would have easily cost me well over $1500 for 2 nights for the 6 of us, also looked into the Sheraton Old San Juan and The Cervantes and the prices were higher with mixed reviews.

Now that we are staying in Old San Juan, we plan to use the Saturday before our cruise to shop, visit the forts, and walk to Barrachina for dinner and the Flamenco show that night. No need to take a taxi in and out of the city from the hotel resorts on the beach!

Edited by ibcnusoon

Since the management has changed (used to be Howard Johnson's) it gets great reviews. The management is probably requesting reviews from guests (since many on Tripadvisor are first time reviewers), but they seem to be enjoying their stays. Guests should be aware that there are interior rooms without windows and the rooms facing the square would be subject to the same street noise as any other older hotel in the city. The prices certainly are among the most reasonable when compared to some of the other boutique hotels in the old city.

I am eager to hear of your stays.

I stayed there when it was part of Howard Johnson's and it was definitely a hidden gem. I loved it; the location, the ambience, and the historic building it occupies. I've always stayed in the front rooms which have balconies overlooking the town square. I've read the other rooms don't have windows. You can hear the street noise, but it never bothered me, I loved being in the middle of all the action.

Hopefully, it is equally nice now.

I stayed there twice when it was Howard Johnson. Glad to hear new management although my stays really were not bad. The first time it was wonderful nice though small room, friendly staff and clean.

The next year I ended up in a room that definitely wasn't as nice mold on the walls and bathroom not as clean; but still for $100 I paid was worth it. I think then it was just dependent on which room you were given.

Hoping they cleaned everything up because the location is amazingly and I reallly didn't mind no window since it was just to sleep. Also staff was great. May have to try it again under new management.

Paying double (196 with tax) for a fun B&B at Villa Herencia and looking forward to trying something new since I am travelling with someone this time and not solo so can split the costs.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

You couldn't have picked a more central location in OSJ. We stayed there in 2010 and it was a good choice. We chose an inside room, because we wanted to avoid the street noise. There is often a lively party that goes on in the plaza in front at night (and it was that night), so if you plan an early bedtime, the interior rooms are great.

I wish I could have gotten some of the history on the building. I was intrigued by the high wooden doors and wondered just how old they were. You had to remind yourself that it was an incredibly old building when you were in your room because frankly, there wasn't much that indicated that -- other than the very high ceilings.

Be prepared for the SLOW elevator. I timed the descent when we left ... it was about 30 seconds per floor. And it was tiny. We barely fit the two of us and our luggage onto it. We only used the elevator when we hauled the luggage up and brought it back down the next day. Otherwise, we used the stairs that wind around the back of the elevator. I think a step is supposed to be about a 7-inch rise ... If I recall correctly, many of them were more like 12.

I got the impression that the central space between the rows of interior rooms was open to the sky at one point in time, but it is now enclosed. However, it's so narrow, it really can't be called an atrium. It is, however, an architectural oddity.

The rooms were very tastefully decorated and the bathroom was small, but in great condition. The air conditioner did it's best, so the room wasn't stuffy, but I would have welcomed a couple of degrees cooler.

And it was all part of the adventure. If I return to San Juan for an overnight some day, I will likely stay there again.

We stayed there a few years ago when it was Howard Johnson. We also picked an inside room and it was perfect. Didn't hear any noise. The room when clean and comfortable. The location was incredible- We will be staying there again on our upcoming cruise in December.

You couldn't have picked a more central location in OSJ. We stayed there in 2010 and it was a good choice. We chose an inside room, because we wanted to avoid the street noise. There is often a lively party that goes on in the plaza in front at night (and it was that night), so if you plan an early bedtime, the interior rooms are great.

I wish I could have gotten some of the history on the building. I was intrigued by the high wooden doors and wondered just how old they were. You had to remind yourself that it was an incredibly old building when you were in your room because frankly, there wasn't much that indicated that -- other than the very high ceilings.

Be prepared for the SLOW elevator. I timed the descent when we left ... it was about 30 seconds per floor. And it was tiny. We barely fit the two of us and our luggage onto it. We only used the elevator when we hauled the luggage up and brought it back down the next day. Otherwise, we used the stairs that wind around the back of the elevator. I think a step is supposed to be about a 7-inch rise ... If I recall correctly, many of them were more like 12.

I got the impression that the central space between the rows of interior rooms was open to the sky at one point in time, but it is now enclosed. However, it's so narrow, it really can't be called an atrium. It is, however, an architectural oddity.

The rooms were very tastefully decorated and the bathroom was small, but in great condition. The air conditioner did it's best, so the room wasn't stuffy, but I would have welcomed a couple of degrees cooler.

And it was all part of the adventure. If I return to San Juan for an overnight some day, I will likely stay there again.

We stayed there a few years ago when it was Howard Johnson. We also picked an inside room and it was perfect. Didn't hear any noise. The room when clean and comfortable. The location was incredible- We will be staying there again on our upcoming cruise in December.

Thank you for the positive notes. I found a great deal for an interior queen room without a window. This does not bother me as we are in an inside room on our cruise. It looks like I will be using the stairs to carry our luggage. I don't think I could wait 30 seconds per floor in a small elevator.

• 7 months later...

I'm looking at this hotel for my precruise in November. I was hoping to get some recent reviews. Everything I read is mixed. I was hoping to stay at the Sheraton Old San Juan but I need 3 rooms and for one night it would cost my group $750. Thats just too much for one night.

I have stayed there many times both as a Howard Johnson's and with the current management.

In my opinion it is literally the best location to stay at in OSJ and the trolley stops right outside (OSJ is hilly so taking the trolley helps)

I only stay in the suites. All of the other rooms have no windows so they tend to be very dark, although they are better appointed as far as furnishings.

As stated it is located on the Plaza de Armas and there is a 3 story Marshalls store also located on the Plaza, a great place to pick up last minutes items for your cruise.

I have stayed there many times both as a Howard Johnson's and with the current management.

In my opinion it is literally the best location to stay at in OSJ and the trolley stops right outside (OSJ is hilly so taking the trolley helps)

I only stay in the suites. All of the other rooms have no windows so they tend to be very dark, although they are better appointed as far as furnishings.

As stated it is located on the Plaza de Armas and there is a 3 story Marshalls store also located on the Plaza, a great place to pick up last minutes items for your cruise.

Playa, perfect. Just what I was looking for. I prefer a window but most of the reviews state those rooms are noisy. Do you find that? I guess for one night, I can stay on an inside if I have to.

To be honest that area of OSJ is not noisy at night. It is attached to the State Dept (literally on the right) so security is always great.

Any late night partying and loud noise is down on Fortaleza Street which is blocks away.

There is no nightlife (bars/restaurants) fronting the Plaza other than the small one at your hotel, which is very small and quiet.

I guess it depends on when you happen to be there, but the plaza out front was hosting a serious party the night we were there (Good Friday). They had a band and plenty of folding chairs set out for people to sit and enjoy ... some people dancing as well.

I guess it depends on when you happen to be there, but the plaza out front was hosting a serious party the night we were there (Good Friday). They had a band and plenty of folding chairs set out for people to sit and enjoy ... some people dancing as well.

I'll be there on Halloween Night so I'm thinking being a Friday and Halloween, there may be lots of things going on around San Juan