Transportation to Civitavecchia from Rome

goncruzn

I am on the Navigator out of Rome/Civitavecchia next year October and I've seen references on the boards about taking a train to the port. Is that possible? How reliable and/or easy is it to take the train? I am planning on arriving in Rome two days before the start of the cruise and based upon information I've gathered here, was considering using RomeInLimo for tours and then using them for transportation to the port on embarkation morning. There will be a total of four of us (girl's cruise) and I'm sure each of us will have at least 1 large and 1 small suitcase. I've cruised the Caribbean many times, but this will be my first Med cruise. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

If it was just two of you, taking the train would save a lot of money, but with four of you splitting the cost using a service like Rome in Limo would probably be worth it - it still will be more expensive than the train but will be a lot easier and less stressful. The train is doable, but with luggage can be a pain, especially if you are not familiar with the route and language. I used Rome in Limo for transportation from the ship to the airport (FCO) and had a great experience with them. Cruising out of Europe requires a lot more research and planning than the Caribbean, but generally is a lot more rewarding of an experience.

The train is very easy. Check out toms port guides (google) and ron in rome. You can also go to youtube and find videos.

The 4.5 Euro price (at least when I last checked can't be beat. However you have to get to the station (we walked) and at Civitavecchia you most likely will have to cross under the tracks taking stairs down and up. Then you walk rolling your luggage on level ground to the shuttle busses at the port entrance.

Archived