packing for Athens to Istanbul 10/6 - 10/13

firststeps

New to Windstar and am trying to figure out what to pack for evenings. We are very informal and want to dress for the weather. Is it cool in the evening at dinner and on deck? Temperatures vary so much from stop to stop not sure what to pack.. any help would be appreciated. I did see that Athens is running much warmer than normal temps.

We will be on this cruise 2 weeks after you, so please post when you get home!!

We have been on a Caribbean cruise with Windstar once before (Windsurf), last March, 2012. I suspect the weather was warmer than we will experience in October. However, general guidelines are 'smart casual'. Think of what you would wear for a casual resort night: Slacks and a nice top for women, or casual sun dress. I did bring one long casual dress (Chico's). It was funny because 2 other women had the exact same dress! I often had a 'shrug' or light sweater or shawl with a nice top for evening just in case the air conditioning was too cool. Of course a glass of wine or two will warm you right up! The dress is the same every night - no dress up or costume nights. For men, no shorts, jeans, t-shirts in the dining room at night. My DH wore Tommy Bahama shirts and polos with slacks each night. Khakis are fine. He has bought several travel pants made out of some kind of quick dry material. They look like regular slacks. Personally I am not thrilled about the fit on him, but he loves them. Some men wore a blazer (no tie), but most did not.

I am thinking of layers this time, bringing a few sweater sets, khaki & black pants. May also bring a long casual dress, or skirt, just because they are so comfortable - I hope everyone else won't show up in the same one this time!! Ha Ha!! I will also bring a few inexpensive, necklaces, that I think really make an outfit unique without being an expensive or bulky item to pack. I plan to get the laundry package, so will wear my outfits multiple times. Which means I'm also bringing mostly washable items!

During the day is super casual. I mostly wore capris or shorts and t-shirts with sandals. I expect to be cooler this time, so add a sweater or sweatshirt with long pants to that on cooler days.

We will return home on Oct. 18 since we are extending 5 days in Istanbul. I will definitely get back to you upon our return. I am trying to pack very light but keep finding myself saying.. well maybe I will need this or maybe that. So far I am planning on 4 pairs of pants - two black, one jeans and one capri. I may add one pair of warmer slacks just incase it does get cold. Taking a variety of tops for different weather and dinner vs. touring. One light fleece, one pashmina, one rain cover, one umbrella.

I too take a few pieces of "interesting" necklaces. This time I am going to take a photo with my phone and a newspaper with the date since many of my pieces look like they could come from Greece or Turkey and I want to have "evidence" if I am questioned. An unusual thing to have to think about but better safe than sorry.

Last trip we did was 17 days and I had one small duffel - African safari teaches you to pack light!! :-)

Talk to you when we return. Terri

Archived