What do you love about St. Martin?

karen_g

I have read numerous posts from people who say that St. Martin is their favorite Caribbean island. Never having been, I'd like to hear why that is so. What is it about St. Martin that makes it special?

The friendly people of the island and of course, Orient Beach!!!!!

Yes, I would definitely agree with that, and also that you can walk back to the ship from town along the beach and stop at the Canadian bar for a beer that only cost $1 each!

I just thought it was a prettier Island all-in-all.

:) There is so much to do there. I hate that we will only be there until 3 pm.Great French food and breads, groceries, cognacs, duty free in the north and low duty free prices on Dutch side. Lovely variety of beaches from Nude to barely topless, snorkle almost at every beach, generally good main roads, old french fort in Marigot, I can't think that anything is missing on the double island.

You MUST visit the "Guavaberry Emporium"!

Right on Front Street across from Jimmy Buffet's!

Have a 'guavaberry colada' in the souvenir cup. Then take some liquor home to make your own later. :) :)

In addition, buy some steak sauce and bar-b-q sauce, uniquie flavors and the best souvenirs for the cook on your list (or yourself) YUM YUM!!!

Best drink in the Caribbean!

Ted

• 2 weeks later...

and interestingly enough, St. Maarten WAS my favorite port. I don't know if it's one specific thing. It's the friendliness of the people (to me, in Nassau NONE of the people were friendly, St. Thomas MOST of the people were friendly, St. Maarten almost ALL of the people went out of their WAY to be friendly). The variety of things to do (and we didn't even MAKE it to the beach...though we will NEXT time). THe good food (we ate at "The Greenhouse" near the water taxi stand in Philipsburg...YUM, and great bloody mary's. ask for "Raymond" if you go, he ROCKS). the cheap liquor prices (ridiculous! $5.95 a LITER for Absolut?). and hey, what's not to love about a place where you can shop and take 20 steps and be in the ocean/on the beach? :D Grand Case was a very pretty little sleepy seaside village. and we did stop at the Guavaberry Emporium. the coladas are GREAT, though I wouldn't recommend trying the straight stuff...we were calling it "tropical moonshine". they sell really nice hand-painted bottles for $19.95 and will personalize them for you for free. They each come with a little recipe booklet tied around the neck of the bottle.

St. Maarten is the only port we stopped in that I would be interested in spending a few days on.

if interested, my pictures are here: http://community.webshots.com/album/357920249TwGrKS

Archived