Hermitage without seeing the paintings?

poss

Curious query, I know. But we visit museums in the States so often-- have access to many many great ones-- and truly aren't interested in standing around with lots of people listening to lectures, etc. We definitely ARE, though, interested in seeing the building, both on the outside and inside. Would be very sorry to miss that. Has anyone else taken such a tour? Is it possible?

By the way, I still wish I could find another couple or two to share private ship excursions in St Pete: Voyager sailing from Copenhagen July 13.

Thanks!

Actually, I find your question rather amusing, because in a way I can relate. We'll be there again this summer so maybe this time I'll appreciate the artwork more, but I remember when we were there as teenagers, thinking "oh no, not another museum" (we used to get "dragged" to many as kids), and then being totally amazed at the building itself. My reaction was who cares about the paintings - it's just a gorgeous place to be. And at that age, one is not easily impressed...In any case, I would think that if you are on a private tour and willing to pay the cost of admission to the Hermitage, then you can go as fast or as slow as you want and not have to take the time to look at the artwork if you don't want to.

Curious query, I know. But we visit museums in the States so often-- have access to many many great ones-- and truly aren't interested in standing around with lots of people listening to lectures, etc. We definitely ARE, though, interested in seeing the building, both on the outside and inside. Would be very sorry to miss that. Has anyone else taken such a tour? Is it possible?

By the way, I still wish I could find another couple or two to share private ship excursions in St Pete: Voyager sailing from Copenhagen July 13.

Thanks!

Just book an independent tour and you tell your guide where you want to go and see, that is what you paid for, they should be fully qualified to give a talk about anything you see that catches your fancy.

Just curious, what US museum causes you to be bored with the Hermitage collection? I obviously didn't find that one. The Louve and Hermitage pretty much set to mark other museums aspire to.

Archived