Ice?

goLC

I have just been diagnosed with 2 herniated discs in my neck. Hurts like heck, but it will hurt just as much if I stay home. I am going to try the steroid epidural injections before diving into surgery. One thing that helps the pain is using gel-type ice pack (no real "ice" - just freeze/use/refreeze.) Do any of you know if Carnival would let me have access to a freezer to keep it in? It is too big to put down in the ice bucket, and I'm not sure that would work anyway. If I can just lay around and read for 7 days, I will fine, right???:confused:

I have never heard of them giving access to a freezer, I would think there would be too much risk in letting you do that (inless it is in your room, but our room did not have a fridge). What I would do if I were you is go to the pharmacy and buy several of the instant disposable ice packs. They aren't expensive and are very convenient. You "squeeze" them when you need them and they are instantly ice cold and last hours. Then you toss it when you or it is done. Enjoy your cruise!

I have just been diagnosed with 2 herniated discs in my neck. Hurts like heck, but it will hurt just as much if I stay home. I am going to try the steroid epidural injections before diving into surgery. One thing that helps the pain is using gel-type ice pack (no real "ice" - just freeze/use/refreeze.) Do any of you know if Carnival would let me have access to a freezer to keep it in? It is too big to put down in the ice bucket, and I'm not sure that would work anyway. If I can just lay around and read for 7 days, I will fine, right???:confused:

I would get something like this, if you can.

http://www.roshgo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=rc01/CTGY/00322

I doubt they will let you keep an ice pack in their freezers. About the closest thing I could think of is keeping the ice pack in the ice bucket, but even then, I do not know if it will be cold enough.

Check Walgreens. Sometimes at work I overwork my back and then cold becomes my best friend, no freezers on the trucks so I live for the break and shake cold packs. Everytime I've needed to pick some up, I've found them BOGO at Walgreens. Not as good as gel, but you don't need cold to make them work.

I used zip lock bags of ice. Multiple zip lock bags, then put them in a larger bag, then squished them around to make the right shape. It worked ok for onboard.

Plus for my herniated neck discks I used traction as per my physical therapist, so I brought my 15 pounds of weights and my neck harness and set up the traction unit from the door jamb while i laid on the floor for 15 minutes each morning and evening. I healed:)

It took a lot of effort on many "levels" (physical, mechanical, chemical, psycological) but I healed. I had to change my thinking in some ways but that was the most empowering because I had some ownership in the solutions and not just at the mercy of what the spinal surgeon wanted to do. Blessings to you, m--

Oh thank you all so much! I just went to Amazon and ordered hot and cold stick-on pads. I don't know why my brain didn't think of that! I'd already given up on taking the heating pad, I figured it would get confiscated. We leave on Friday; first injection is Wednesday. I thought about having to cancel - but I will feel the same no matter where I am, and the most relaxing place to me in the world is on a cruise! I do have the traction device, and a TENS machine - looks like I'll need an extra bag for all of my back aides! Never realized how important your back is - mine is pressing on the nerve root to my right arm, so I'm having trouble making it work right. Dr. did immediately say surgery - he said the injections only work for 30%. I told him maybe I would be in the 30%! You folks are marvelous - eases my mind knowing I can get cold/hot treatments. And I will also take plenty of ziplocks for ice, too!

Same here. I've made it over a year now without surgery or even an epidural. Most important thing for me when traveling now is to remember not to lift or tug the luggage as I'm supposed to lift, push or pull over 10 lbs. I have luggage I can twirl around with two fingers so that helps but I have to remember not to lift it or what is even worse is getting my shoulder bag too heavy. We just got home a week ago from a 10 day trip and I did a little damage but not too much this time.

Good luck and I hope you can heal to a reasonable amount of comfort. Take it easy to let your body heal and watch out for the luggage!

YEARS AGO......

After my hubby had rotator cuff surgery, the surgeon sent him home wrapped in one of these.

http://www.polarproducts.com/polarshop/pc/-Active-Ice-Therapy-System-26p20.htm

Insurance didn't cover it and back then it cost $300. The upside though was that we used that system for YEARS. After ten plus years the motor finally died in it and we threw it out.

I swear by this product, and if you think you will be using cold packs for a while to come. This product is a great investment.

It works by filling the cooler with ice and water. You attach the velcro part to the area that needs chilling and attach the velcro part to the cooler via these blue insulated water lines. Then you plug it in. It circulates the water from the cooler through the blue lines and it dispurses through the whole velcro section via ducts and back into the cooler to rechill the water. It will be cold for hours.

When he first got it, we would set him up with it for bed and it would help keep him comfortable for the night.

AWESOME product!!!

Archived