Need Mendanhall Glacier Info/ Blue Bus

jjfla

Anyone ever took the Blue Bus at the docks to Mendanhall Glacier?? Need to know if this goes to the Visitor's Center? Some places I am reading they drop you off a mile and a half from the Center and you have to walk. If you have taken this tour please share with me your experience.

Thanks

Ditto CruiseIsGood's response, in the times that we were there the blue bus either dropped us right at the visitor center or at the parking lot where it picks up for returns, not more than 200-300 feet (I think) away.

The blue bus (there is also a white bus) "glacier express" costs $10 RT, picks up right at the dock area, runs every 30 minutes. Booths at the dock sell tickets and those people will direct you.

Hello,

I just took this bus last week to Mendenhall. You can buy a ticket from the booth on the pier. There is more than one booth selling tickets for this bus.

The bus was loading just as we bought our ticket and they told us to wait for the next bus. There are only two buses and they drive back and forth, one is blue and the other is white.

These are not full size buses, they are about 3 quarters of a regular bus. When the bus pulled up, it was kind of a free for all and all these people ran out and got in line. There were quite a few people who had to stand.

We were dropped off in the parking lot and it's a short walk to get to the visitor's center. We were able to see enough of the Glacier without even going into the visitor's center.

On the way back, there was a long line and my group was the last to get on and there were a few of us who had to stand. A lot of people in line did not want to stand and so they waited for the next bus, which would be there in 30 minutes.

The ride takes about 20 minutes.

This was a nice alternative to taking a tour and much more affordable.

Archived