Barcelona information

jennand

We're on the Med Adventure on 9/10 and it will be our first visit to Barcelona ( apart from flying in and out) so we want to wander around. We have been warned about pickpockets etc but dont want this to put us off. We want to see the Basilica, how easy is it to get from the dock to there? Is it walkable? How safe is the city? Any other must see things to do?

The only organised excursion that we intend to book is Monaco as normally, excursions irritate me when they stop at " wineries, craft shops, markets etc" so we mainly do our own sightseeing. To this end, can anyone give us a little information on the days we dock in Ajaccio, La Spezia and Toulon. Is it worth getting off the boat for a wander around. The one I'm a bit unsure about is Ajaccio as it is a bit unstable there, although I'm sure we would be advised if it was unsafe to wander around.

Hi Jennand....Barcelona is a lovely place we have been several times and never had any problems.....I actually had my purse stolen in Palma, Majorca so its not just Barcelona where the pickpockets hang out !!! best thing to do is zip any cash/cards in the little pocket of your handbag/bumbag so you don't need to take a purse....I always used to do this but got complacent I think and paid the price....we only take one card and up to 50 euros each with us when we go ashore.....(that is what I had taken 50 euros and 1 card which was sorted by insurance but its a hassle)

We consider it to be very safe there and have walked to the Columbus statue at the foot of Las Ramblas it takes up to half an hour depending where the ship berths....but there is a shuttle bus for around 5 euros or share a taxi for around the same price if there are four of you. We then walked up Las Ramblas which can take all morning if you enjoy the stalls/market and the living statues...there is a big roundabout/square at the top (the name escapes me at the moment) with the large department store El Corte Ingles on the right hand side of it...this is where the HOHO tourist buses leave from, I think there are two routes north and south...we have done the northerly one which takes in the Sagrada Familia (not sure if this is the Basilica you mention!) Gaudis famous church...and also Camp Nou the famous football stadium...if you choose to do this make sure you go on the top deck as you will see the lovely quirky rooftops!! (you can also see some of this from the coffee shop of El Corte Ingles). The excursion desk have good maps of each port the evening before you arrive so make sure you get copies ...they just leave them on the reception desk.

I can't help with the other ports as we haven't been to any of them apart from Monte Carlo !! Oh that's a good reason for us to book again !!!:D

Thanks Jenny Wren. Yes, I do mean the Sagrada Familia. I was wondering where the HoHo buses depart from. The Northern one sounds good. Does the shuttle bus run from the port to Las Ramblas? I daresay lots of info is avaiable on the ship, but I like to plan ahead. Its also great looking forward to all the exciting places.

Yes the shuttle runs from the cruise terminal to the Columbus statue which is at the bottom of Las ramblas...if you stand with your back to the sea it is directly in front of you so just cross the road (busy) and you are there..I think the southerly route of the HOHO bus starts there but not sure...perhaps if you put 'tourist bus Barcelona' into Google the routes will come up...it was about 20 euros each when we did it a couple of years ago and we thought good value. :)

Archived