NCL secrets they don't tell you about

dfilacch

First, I must confess that I ripped off this thread title from another forum ( substituted NCL for another line). So, tell us all you insider NCL cruise secrets. Information that is not normally given out by NCL.

I'll start: You can get anything you want for breakfast from room service. If it's not on the breakfast door card, then just write in what you want.

I never knew that! On the days we had excursions, my husband and I would go to the Garden Cafe and bring breakfast back for the kids, as they would normally still be sleeping!

That is great info to know! Thanks. :)

First, I must confess that I ripped off this thread title from another forum ( substituted NCL for another line). So, tell us all you insider NCL cruise secrets. Information that is not normally given out by NCL.

I'll start: You can get anything you want for breakfast from room service. If it's not on the breakfast door card, then just write in what you want.

If you're in a suite and have the extended rm svc menu, that's true. But in the regular cabins, you cannot just write in anything....we've tried with "bacon" and rcvd a phone call saying that they could not include that. Similarly, you cannot order hot items. Anything "continental" or cold in nature should be OK. We have written in "pineapple jc" (which isn't on the form) and gotten that, but for a full breakfast or hot items, the DR or buffet is the way to go.

Do write in "large pot" for coffee so as not to receive a small thermos, if you've got to have your morning fix.:D

Also, if you don't plan to buy either of the 2 bottles of water generally left in the room for purchase, you can ask the steward to take them away. Extra space.

One tip we picked up (which we use every time) is to ask for "feather pillows" (don't ask for "down" as that just draws perplexing looks). Presto, if you're not fond of foam pillows, you will sleep heavenly. Gotta love those duvets they use on NCL and not the "vellum" blankets on other lines.:)

Here's another small menu thing...it's written on the menu but might not be seen. You can always get Caesar salad, grilled chicken breast, baked potato and fresh steamed vegetables every meal any time.

Here's another small menu thing...it's written on the menu but might not be seen. You can always get Caesar salad, grilled chicken breast, baked potato and fresh steamed vegetables every meal any time.

This portion of the menu has been used many, many times by our kids. It suits them well over the fru, fru menu items that don't necessarily appeal to kids.

We went to breakfast in the Windows dining room on the Spirit. We wanted eggs benedict, but it was not on the menu that day. We politely asked if they would make it for us anyway. The chef agreed to, if we were willing to wait the 10-15 minutes to make the hallandaise sauce. We were blown away by that. I was so impressed and appreciative.

How much $ would be appropriate Shoreguy????

Who Knows :confused:

I asked for them and an extra ice bucket when we first meet. I gave $20 as a pre tip that I would have anyway. They might even find a couple if you just ask nice. :)

I LOVE eggs benedict -- I'll have to ask for it :D Is it ever on the menu or does that remain the same throughout the cruise?

I have one -- Before heading out for a shore excursion, order a large pitcher of ice water and use it to fill your water bottles. they will stay cold for a long time!

Samantha

Even with freestyle you can request a certain waiter if you prefer- you may have to wait a little if all tables are full but that generally is not the case. A small tip to the waiter of $5.00 a night goes a long way for getting special attention once you find one that you want to stick with.

If you don't have kids...you can still ask for a children's menu...there might be something there that you'd like to try or even order instead of the main entrees. My 80 year old mother-in-law did this on our last year's cruise because non of the main menu entrees intrigued her. She ended up ordering off the children's menu and the waiters made such a "fuss" over her (in a kidding sort of way) that they even came and cut up her meat for her (like they would do with a child). The whole family had tears running down their faces from laughter and my mother-in-law soaked up every second of it!

Debjo

This is so true. Recently went with my BIL and family. Many nights they couldn't find anything on the menu to eat. They are unbelievable but that's a whole other story.

Also, there is steak just about every night with a fancy name and sauce. You can order it with no sauce or sauce on the side. I've gotten my kids to learn that they do like things by ordering the sauce on the side, then trying it.

Archived