NCL secrets they don't tell you about

dfilacch

just returned from cruising on the STAR* and would like to add NOT TO HESITATE TO ASK FOR ANYTHING...specially dining...all my requests and substitutions at dinner were met with OF COURSE MADAM instead of "rolling eyes or shrugs":rolleyes: as in the past especially on RCI--if you dont see it ASK and they just go out of their way to accomondate you.;) ..usually my dining is not always a pleasant experience:( but on the STAR* it was wonderful...in the Versalles and Aqua dining rooms!!!:)

i was very impressed with the crew and staff aboard the STAR*

my best advice i can offer is DONT HESITATE TO ASK for ANYTHING!!!!

[quote name=cantwaitt)

The popcorn excuse is the most rediculous thing I heard. People who have been on the Dawn a number of times over the past three years know better--that very quietly and subtly, they are removing "extras" from the ship.

Three years ago--hay one year ago--they had those nice dessert tables and fruit carving stations at dinner in the buffet rooom. No longer.

The first year, they had shrimp cocktail at dinner in the buffet room--no longer.

I can go on and on.

The Dawn is still a great ship, but they are clearly cutting back at the fringe. Wonder when people will start noticing.[/quote]

Well..I have been on the Dawn a few times!

Have you ever been there when 500-600 kids are lined up for popcorn and no parents to be seen?? Yes, they do run all over the ship (w/the popcorn spilling) looking for their parents;)

Nice desserts and shrimp cocktail are available at all times in the restaurants...speciality restaurants or not.

They can cut back the fringe or raise the prices.

If they raise the prices...these boards will explode! So, they cut back on the fringe...the lesser of the evils:)

Look at your packaging in the supermarkets...less in the package - the other choice would be to raise the price:eek:

Starfish I am glad to hear that! WE are doing the Star in January!! In the past when I have cruised we have had great service! When we went to Alaska back in 93 I was 19 the waiters acted like they had not seen any yougn people in Alaska before. WE walked in for dinner the first night and the waiter in the next section over was our wiater for our past MExican Riveira cruise he came over all shcoked! So they were always joking around with us, and doing special things. All our table mates woudl just laugh. I have a question about the Star for you, do they do daily drink specials or sell drink cards at all?

• 1 month later...

Here is something that I remember from my previous NCL cruises....

There was always an employee that walked the sun decks with a spray bottle that would spritz you while you were sun tanning to cool you off....

Now..it has been several years since I have sailed with NCL ( I was too busy having my babies!;) ) so I dont know if they still do this...

Can anyone confirm? It was a wonderful luxury that no other cruise line has done.

No POPCORN??? No RIBS??

I have seen this posted a number of times in the threads referring to things that NCL s cutting back on

I sailed the DAWN 12/11 western caribean and we had popcorn dail at Pearly's pub and the movies.....and ribs at the poolside BBq's

and yes..they still have people spritzing you with a spray bottle if you want :-)

In March, we will be sailing NCL for the first time. We are on the Spirit.

The more I read this information board, the more I learn about "insider" tips, such as:

NCL doesn't promote the 50% discount at specialty restaurants on the fisrt night, or the "Live at 5" spa specials your hear on the television in the stateroom, and other special perks. I heard about the great pretzels at the Bier Garten ! These all all tips that readers like you have brought to my attention and I thank you for it !

What other little tidbits are out there to make an NCL cruise more memorable ?

Christina

No POPCORN??? No RIBS??

I have seen this posted a number of times in the threads referring to things that NCL s cutting back on

I sailed the DAWN 12/11 western caribean and we had popcorn dail at Pearly's pub and the movies.....and ribs at the poolside BBq's

and yes..they still have people spritzing you with a spray bottle if you want :-)

NJ Bear.. did you drive the staen island ferry or take the ferry for all those years?

marc

First, I must confess that I ripped off this thread title from another forum ( substituted NCL for another line). So, tell us all you insider NCL cruise secrets. Information that is not normally given out by NCL.

I'll start: You can get anything you want for breakfast from room service. If it's not on the breakfast door card, then just write in what you want.

We have only been on three cruises but the one that surprised me was the seven day texaribbean cruise. It looked like that everyone over the age of 50 was going to Belize and Mexico to buy their medications and jewelery. I enjoyed the lectures on purchasing jewelery but the medicines caught me unprepared.

There's a mini fridge in the rooms. I'd recommend buying some juice and snacks and carry them with you on the boat, that is fine. Yes, you can keep your own snacks. I learned to kind of keep things out of the way so stewards don't think they are trash (in a drawer, in the fridge itself, etc.). Don't know about your first question, read they have soap but not shampoo. I personally am bringing all of those things - even a beach towel as I will use it on my beach excursions off the shore.

are there mini fridges in all room on Sun?

thanks

phyllis

Beware! "Cagney's Steak House" on the Dawn serves steak that is neither prime, nor aged...the quality is something along the line of Costco meat (on a good day).

Dunno where your Costco gets their meat from, but our Costco meat is superb fresh, Grade A and cut properly. They all have to pass Gov inspection be it in the US or Canada, so what's the issue?

Cagney's on the SPIRIT had some of the best steaks I have ever had in my life, I dont care what the "grading" was. Perfectly cooked, perfectly presented, perfectly wonderful. Well worth the $20!!!

We are going on the 1 nighter on the SPIRIT and considering going to Cagney's instead of the main restaurants just to get another of those perfect steaks.

~Intrepid

Cagney's on the SPIRIT had some of the best steaks I have ever had in my life, I dont care what the "grading" was. Perfectly cooked, perfectly presented, perfectly wonderful. Well worth the $20!!!

We are going on the 1 nighter on the SPIRIT and considering going to Cagney's instead of the main restaurants just to get another of those perfect steaks.

~Intrepid

I agree...Ruth's Chris has NOTHING on Cagneys;)

Enjoy your steak:)

We love the meat quality from our local Costco. We bought $100 worth of Prime Rib to serve at two family dinners over the holidays. Different people were at each dinner, and everyone thought thought the Prime Rib was EXCELLENT!!

We are recently back from the Sun and ate at Le Bistro twice. The Filet's they serve absolutely melted in your mouth, and the service was outstanding! Sorry to hear that Cagneys was a disappointment for you.

Beware! "Cagney's Steak House" on the Dawn serves steak that is neither prime, nor aged...the quality is something along the line of Costco meat (on a good day).

You must be mistaken. Costco meats are at least "choice" quality, if not "premium". We enjoy meats from Costco.

Just a quick thank you to everybody for all the helpful hints. We did a 4 day cruise on NCL four years ago otherwise we have been on other lines but just booked a spur of the moment Panama Canal -/South American cruise on Crown in April so scrambling for help with questions and this board has been a Godsend.

Thanks again

Mary:)

I must admit that after page 8 I began to fast forward a bit, but here are a few things that I have learned through my 14 cruises.

1) I take my own hotel sized coffee maker with prepackaged coffee for in-room use. This means I wake up at my own pace and enjoy my coffee right away without waiting. BTW - my coffee maker has an auto shut-off just like the ones in a hotel AND I always unplug it after every use to alleviate any fire concerns.

2) While it is true that I have found NCL waiters to be more accommodating in special requests (most cruise lines insists that if you want to sample a second entree that you have to take the entire plate - but NCL let us get a "side dish" of something we thought we might like to try) I do feel that if a waiter indicates that something would a "problem or not possible" then don't waste the time or aggravation in pursuing it. That is just my opinion, but I get embarrased by anyone who feels they are "entitled" to more than what is offered on the menu and makes a scene of trying to get it.

3) Cruising is not what it was ten years ago - food is not the same standard yes, but otherwise since the inception of Freestyle IMHO- it is MUCH better! I have only been on older NCL ships (as compared to newer and bigger other lines) and NCL has me hooked. I have never had a more relaxing vacation than with Freestyle.

Any cruise is as good as YOU make it. I have never had a bad one. ;)

We just returned from the 2/2 sailing on the Dawn and were disappointed with Cagney's. The meat was dry and tough (and we eat ours rare). The beef in the dining room was actually much better (to our surprise). It was cooked properly each and every time and was juicy.

But, cruise ship food is just that - cruise ship food. You can't compare it to butcher shop meats and, in our opinion, you shouldn't (well, maybe on a truly "upscale" line you can - but then you pay the price for that). We go on the cruise for the whole experience and try not to sweat the small stuff.

No offense, but how about some useful tips? I'm not saying there havent been any (there have!) but this thread is turning into an "opinion" thread instead of the "information" thread that the OP started. JMHO :o

:confused: I, for one, would like to know of any "special" cabins? - bigger than the rest in that category? Obstructed but NOT really obstructed? (Please state the ship)

~Connie

Archived