Luggage ?? - San Diego Cruise Pier

HamburgAvonLady

Hmm? In my experience in San Diego you need to show your ID and walk onto the pier before there are porters to help. I'd ask whoever brings you to the pier(taxi driver etc.?) to help bring your bags to the entrance. I am sure that with a tip they'd do that and then the guards at the entrance can call a porter over to help you.

Of course the other possible thought is do you really need ALL that luggage??

I just read your other post about staying at the BW Yacht Harbor. I am sure that the driver from their shuttle will help you!

We did a HAL cruise this last Christmas eve out of San Diego with DW in wheelchair and had absolutely no problem finding a porter either on embarkation or disembarkation. Now they did manage to put 3 pieces of luggage belong to two couples in the drink.....2 pieces sank and the 3rd floated and was retrieved.

PLEASE don't put that fear in my head !!!! I always hold my breath when waiting for our luggage at the airport ---

Well, still packing and as we are flying Southwest where I can take 4 bags FREE --- why not !! Each bag will be less heavy than 2 overstuffed ones, IMO. Plus, we are taking items to donate to Fanning Island -- so will have free space for shopping !!

A GAL just can't pack for 30 days with a backpack, you know !! LOL ( AND, I'm only taking 3 pairs of shoes !!)

PLEASE don't put that fear in my head !!!! I always hold my breath when waiting for our luggage at the airport ---

Well, still packing and as we are flying Southwest where I can take 4 bags FREE --- why not !! Each bag will be less heavy than 2 overstuffed ones, IMO. Plus, we are taking items to donate to Fanning Island -- so will have free space for shopping !!

A GAL just can't pack for 30 days with a backpack, you know !! LOL ( AND, I'm only taking 3 pairs of shoes !!)

Sorry about that....it was the first time I have ever seen that happen.

But to the point, I really don't think that you will have any problem finding a porter at the San Diego pier.

It's possible to come close. I was taking a shuttle van from a remote lot and hotel to the terminals at LAX. There were 4 women who looked in their 60's. They each had either one small rollaboard or a midsize duffel and a backpack. I was amazed to hear they were a group of travel friends headed to China...a land trip, then coming back to LA on a cruise via Korea, Japan, Alaska, Canada, etc. 5 weeks total. That was their *entire* luggage...they had traveled extensively and learned the virtues of traveling light.

Your hotel shuttle or taxi driver will be able to drive right up to the porters. It is quite quick and easy, so make sure you have your luggage tags on that morning before you leave the hotel for the short ride.

(Of course, no tags during your flight portion of the trip.)

Don't let the driver drop you off on the street, because they will be able to drive right in to the unloading area, which is what you want.

The San Diego cruise port is excellent... too bad they don't have more ships departing from there.

Archived