Help - joining in the middle?

InGearX

I will be going on a 10-Night Mediterranean (Civitavecchia (Rome) Round-Trip) on MS Noordam from Holland America Line

cruise: http://travel.travelocity.com/ecruise/CruiseDetailsItinerary.do;jsessionid=450851CFDD22A02C3536DFCC66384399.pwbap095a?selectedMetaCategory=&gtCty=&toYearMonth=&unionRt=&srRt=&pagerIndex=&cruiseVendor=15&milRt=&action_code=MoreInfo&deckId=&fromYearMonth=2012-10&promolink=false&pPc=&currency=USD&toDay=&cruiseId=61807&cprpage=&resultsIndex=1&selMetaCatName=&resSt=&fromDay=

BUT I am planing to join in Dubrovnik, Croatia

#1 I have never done that before - is it 100% OK and possible? anything I should be aware of? or taking into consideration?

#2 if I am joining from Croatia - when joining the cruise - will I get stamped out of Croatia and would I get a UE visa stamp? because I have a limited # of days left from the 90 day limit in 180 day period in Schengen Zone and wanted to plan accordingly... (would it be equivalent of entering the Schengen Zone visa (being that the ship is registered in (property/territory of) Netherlands ?)

Please ANY other information, tips are very much appreciated by all...

thank you... looking forward...

Your cruise begins October 5 and you are just asking now if this is "100% OK and possible"???

You need to procure permission from HAL to do so. They will have to arrange for Croatian immigration authorities to be expecting you. As Dubrovnik is not a normal turnaround port for HAL it could require several MONTHS time to process said request. Croatia is NOT a Schengen agreement country (and the fact that the ship is registered in one is irrelevant) so HAL must also arrange for an inspection of you and your passport when you enter Greece the next day. There is a practical reason that the one non-Schengen port on the cruise was made the first one after embarkation--and you are contravening it by boarding there and (presuming you are flying direct from the US to Croatia) not having a stamp from a Schengen country when boarding.

Bottom line is that you have seven days to procure IN WRITING permission from HAL to do this or else I suspect it won't be happening.

Your cruise begins October 5 and you are just asking now if this is "100% OK and possible"???

You need to procure permission from HAL to do so. They will have to arrange for Croatian immigration authorities to be expecting you. As Dubrovnik is not a normal turnaround port for HAL it could require several MONTHS time to process said request. Croatia is NOT a Schengen agreement country (and the fact that the ship is registered in one is irrelevant) so HAL must also arrange for an inspection of you and your passport when you enter Greece the next day. There is a practical reason that the one non-Schengen port on the cruise was made the first one after embarkation--and you are contravening it by boarding there and (presuming you are flying direct from the US to Croatia) not having a stamp from a Schengen country when boarding.

Bottom line is that you have seven days to procure IN WRITING permission from HAL to do this or else I suspect it won't be happening.

Ohhh WOW thank you

I called them at 1-877-932-4259 and WOW sounds like paperwork

can take a week

darn

I'll just go to Rome

thank you again...

Archived