Garden Villas and Superior Accomodations

luv2cruise53

Hi all; My question may seem naive and certainly class structured, but I often wonder how NCL can charge so much for these obviously DELUXE and superior accomodations. I am not villifying anyone who chooses these categories...God love you...I only wonder as to the logic and the luxury value. I have sailed many times and since I recently have been forced to solo status, I certainly could never afford this option....but like others I view, check-out and dream of the possibility. I have recently seen some GV's and DOS's going for anywhere between 10 and 15 thousand dollars per person. Although the accomodations look first rate, I sometimes have to ask, not why (If you can splurge, then splurge) but what draws you to this luxury?

I am not being negative...just curious to cruisers choices.

In fact I often find myself rationalizing stepping up a level or 2 by saying its worth it for the extra cost. But for me stepping up is a matter of 2 or 3 hundred dollars. I just saw a Garden villa on the Star advertised at 15,998.00 per person for a 14 day repositioning from NYC to New Orleans.

OMG 6 people could cost almost as much as $100,000 thousand dollars...

I know these luxury vehicles regularly sell out and I know that NCL is one of the few lines that offer such high perks.

I guess my question at the end of the day is....WAS it GREAT?

Tell us about your experiences so we can enjoy the Suite life to.

No disrespect, I or we might be jealous, but we are also cruisers and curious.:cool:

Haven't been in a Garden Villa yet but only the first and second persons are $16K each - the additional passengers are added at the regular additional per passenger rate - somewhere in the hundreds per person, not thousands. So depending on how many you have in the 3 bedroom suite, the overall per person price might become more reasonable to some.

I understand your perspective. A few years ago I could not have justified spending the kind of money we do on our cruise vacation. We have not yet splurged for the GV, but dream of the day we can. I am looking for the day when we find a good deal on a GV, and we travel with another couple or two who would choose to split the cost. And yes, HMK8273 is correct about the cost of passengers 3-8.

Our first cruise in 1989 was in a cabin with a porthole. Over the years, we kept working our way up, sailing in balcony cabins for a few years then suites, then larger suites and then we discovered the GV and have enjoyed that luxury more than once. It is the closest thing to living like royalty that we have ever experienced. We are usually 3 couples. A couple of times we had a LOT of family members on board and while 7 of us stayed in the GV, everyone else visited - often! With a good concierge and butler, you will have an amazing experience. With three couples, it is usually cheaper than three suites. We have been in the Haven suites on the Epic 3 times (they don't have a GV) and that is also a luxurious cruise with very attentive service. The memories and experience = priceless!

I don't see it as much different from those who choose/can sail lines like SilverSeas except with more space and not all included alcohol. Or even the top-notch 6* AIs.

My SIL leased a castle in Germany for a vacation - A FREAKIN' CASTLE - for 2 of them! So just about anything is possible.

Our first cruise in 1989 was in a cabin with a porthole. Over the years, we kept working our way up, sailing in balcony cabins for a few years then suites, then larger suites and then we discovered the GV and have enjoyed that luxury more than once. It is the closest thing to living like royalty that we have ever experienced. We are usually 3 couples. A couple of times we had a LOT of family members on board and while 7 of us stayed in the GV, everyone else visited - often! With a good concierge and butler, you will have an amazing experience. With three couples, it is usually cheaper than three suites. We have been in the Haven suites on the Epic 3 times (they don't have a GV) and that is also a luxurious cruise with very attentive service. The memories and experience = priceless!

Thank you;

Priceless is the suprerlative I was hoping for. I am glad you have experienced the Suite Life on the Epic.

I sailed on that Epic beauty as well. I also sailed on the Allure after that and I thought they are two different ships completely. I actually preferred the Epic. I paid $900.00 in a solo and then I booked the Allure. $2865.00 for an inside cabin solo.

The Epic solo cabin was so much better than the Allure single inside. Also I found the Allure impressive in every way but I thought the Epic was equal in experience.

I loved the Allure open spaces and the Parks and Boardwalks, as well as the first rate entertainment. However; I found the Epic to be just ...well ...kinda grand and classy and the entertainment was in a class by itself. O'Sheehans and the Bliss lounge were great, but the H2o and the pool deck were far better organized and usable than the Allure. Don't get me wrong, I am a mega ship cheerleader and am going on the Oasis soon, I just think that cruisers should never ever ever discount the Epic as an experience worth your while. I am also booked on the Breakaway in June, hoping for more pluses from NCL.

Kev:cool:

The 2-story Penthouses on the Allure and Oasis are far superior (IMHO) than the Garden Villa on the Star... The GV is more private, but overall the suite is much more functional on the Allure. Now, on the other hand, the upper deck on the Star GV is decadent as it is soooo large. If you are just a couple, then I would also to say that HAL has a great Penthouse on their ships too.

I like this question- probably because I have thought a lot about it over the last 6 months or so, as we will be sailing in a GV on Gem in January. Ten years ago, when husband and I were in our early 20s, we ALWAYS sailed in an inside cabin on a high deck- we literally used the cabin only for sleeping, and the only factor of importance was being close to the sun deck. Over the years, and especially once we had children, we started to "splurge" for balcony cabins. Actually, a balcony almost becomes a necessity when you have very small children, unless you want your bedtime to be 8pm along with them. With a balcony, we would put the kids to bed, then enjoy wine and snacks or dessert on the balcony for a few hours. Another note worthy of mention is that we now almost always travel with my parents, as they love to be around our three young children, and we love the extra help (and their company, of course!)

Fast foward to today. We are now in the financial position to be able to afford greater luxuries than a decade ago, for sure, which is certainly the most important consideration. We now have an immediate traveling group of seven, which includes three children 5 years and under, and my parents. What appealed to me absolutely most about the GV was not only the completely separate bedrooms for the kids, but also the fact that there was room for my parents to stay in the same "cabin" so that we all share the living space. Now, the kids can go to bed and we can all socialize, either in the large living area, or even outside to enjoy the evening ocean air. On our last cruise in two mini-suites, my parents would literally sneak through our room of sleeping children to get out to our balcony, where we would all squeeze to try and get another drink in together before bed! Other than that, we would take turns being "out and about" around the ship in the evening after dinner. We are also looking forward to breakfasts (and an occassional dinner) in our room, time at the Haven pool, especially while leaving and returning to NYC in January, and having lots of room for our kids to play without the constant worry that they are disturbing other vacationers.

Last, but certainly not least, is the fact that we are also really able to "treat" my parents now. They have been extraordinarilly supportive of us throughout college, grad school, and husband working long hours. Although they love to be away with the grandkids, I want them to really feel special and enjoy this vacation as well. We are just feeling so fortunate that we can do this!

I now usually book a penthouse. Usually an SF on deck 10. Normally the least expensive penthouse with a balcony. Prior to a couple of years ago was 20 years of oean views and gty balcony cabins. If you shop around and your travel plans are flexible a GV may not be that far out of reach as many think.

The GVs on the Star and Dawn are amazing with 6500 SF of inside and outside private space. I booked the GV for a family cruise with my married sons last January. Had I booked that week out of NYC on the Gem it would have been over $30,000. Out of Tampa on the Star with a bigger GV it was just under $13,000 for the 6 of us. A lot of money but it was an experience that was priceless.

We have only cruised in balconies or mini suites (with exception of 1 inside room on first cruise that turned us off cruising for 17 years!!!). We have the garden villa on Dawn booked for January out of Tampa and am so excited I can hardly wait! We got a great deal with a time-share exchange and the villa was only about $12000 total for 6 people! Less than $2,000pp. We are bringing our 20-something year old daughters, my mother and my sister (both whom have never cruised before! Talk about being spoiled!) We had toured a garden villa in 2005 on our first NCL cruise, and never thought we would be able to afford it. If you search constantly online, you can find one for about the same price as us. I am mostly excited about having our own sundeck!! My husband and I always search around on ships for a quiet sunny spot away from the crowds of the pool, and this is perfect for us! I think the rest of the villa will just be "icing on the cake".

Did I say how excited I was???;)

We have only cruised in balconies or mini suites (with exception of 1 inside room on first cruise that turned us off cruising for 17 years!!!). We have the garden villa on Dawn booked for January out of Tampa and am so excited I can hardly wait! We got a great deal with a time-share exchange and the villa was only about $12000 total for 6 people! Less than $2,000pp. We are bringing our 20-something year old daughters, my mother and my sister (both whom have never cruised before! Talk about being spoiled!) We had toured a garden villa in 2005 on our first NCL cruise, and never thought we would be able to afford it. If you search constantly online, you can find one for about the same price as us. I am mostly excited about having our own sundeck!! My husband and I always search around on ships for a quiet sunny spot away from the crowds of the pool, and this is perfect for us! I think the rest of the villa will just be "icing on the cake".

Did I say how excited I was???;)

What an amazing deal! Congratualtions and I hope you all truly enjoy the suite life. I is nice to hear about your booking. There are several CC members who have been saying that the GV's are no longer discounted and I found that very hard to believe.

Anyway, Enjoy the Garden Villa - it is "special".

What an amazing deal! Congratualtions and I hope you all truly enjoy the suite life. I is nice to hear about your booking. There are several CC members who have been saying that the GV's are no longer discounted and I found that very hard to believe.

Anyway, Enjoy the Garden Villa - it is "special".

Thanks!! We can't wait. I kinda feel bad for my mother and sister since this is their first cruise! They will be soooo disappointed to go to any other room if they decide to cruise again ;)

Hi all; My question may seem naive and certainly class structured, but I often wonder how NCL can charge so much for these obviously DELUXE and superior accomodations. I am not villifying anyone who chooses these categories...God love you...I only wonder as to the logic and the luxury value. I have sailed many times and since I recently have been forced to solo status, I certainly could never afford this option....but like others I view, check-out and dream of the possibility. I have recently seen some GV's and DOS's going for anywhere between 10 and 15 thousand dollars per person. Although the accomodations look first rate, I sometimes have to ask, not why (If you can splurge, then splurge) but what draws you to this luxury?

In fact I often find myself rationalizing stepping up a level or 2 by saying its worth it for the extra cost. But for me stepping up is a matter of 2 or 3 hundred dollars. I just saw a Garden villa on the Star advertised at 15,998.00 per person for a 14 day repositioning from NYC to New Orleans.

I know these luxury vehicles regularly sell out and I know that NCL is one of the few lines that offer such high perks.

No disrespect, I or we might be jealous, but we are also cruisers and curious.:cool:

A Garden Villa (or Haven as they are now called) is definiately worth the extra money. Even for the one bedroom GV the space and luxury are awesome. You get a separate bedroom, bathroom has dual vanities, soaking tub, separate shower and private commode area (even has a phone in it). The livinjg room and dining area provide enough space to relax in. You can enjoy your meals in the dining area or on the balcony.

With a GV also comes all the perks. Breakfast and lunch at Cagney's (while we are not charged, it probably does get reflected in the price). GV also receives access to deck 15 and the Haven area (includes small pool, hottub, workout machines, sauna and plenty of lounging space.

Also included is priority tenders, and priority embarkation and debarkation. Reserved seating at the theatre and Concierge and Butler service.

There are other perks as well, but you get the point.

As for $13,000 for a repo cruise? That's pretty typical for a repo and/or also depending on the debarkation port, arrival port and ports in between.

DH and I are cruising next spring from NY to LA via the Panama Canal for 17 days in a GV on the Jewel and it is $13K. That does not include $$ for excursions, souvenirs, upcharge restaurants, etc. But this is a trip we have always wanted to do and so we haven't cruised since 2010 to save up for it.

Bottom line: is it worth it? For DH and I, yes it is. We would rather cruise less often and save up for a GV than to cruise 2-3 times a year.

A Garden Villa (or Haven as they are now called) is definiately worth the extra money. Even for the one bedroom GV the space and luxury are awesome. You get a separate bedroom, bathroom has dual vanities, soaking tub, separate shower and private commode area (even has a phone in it). The livinjg room and dining area provide enough space to relax in. You can enjoy your meals in the dining area or on the balcony.

With a GV also comes all the perks. Breakfast and lunch at Cagney's (while we are not charged, it probably does get reflected in the price). GV also receives access to deck 15 and the Haven area (includes small pool, hottub, workout machines, sauna and plenty of lounging space.

Also included is priority tenders, and priority embarkation and debarkation. Reserved seating at the theatre and Concierge and Butler service.

There are other perks as well, but you get the point.

As for $13,000 for a repo cruise? That's pretty typical for a repo and/or also depending on the debarkation port, arrival port and ports in between.

DH and I are cruising next spring from NY to LA via the Panama Canal for 17 days in a GV on the Jewel and it is $13K. That does not include $$ for excursions, souvenirs, upcharge restaurants, etc. But this is a trip we have always wanted to do and so we haven't cruised since 2010 to save up for it.

Bottom line: is it worth it? For DH and I, yes it is. We would rather cruise less often and save up for a GV than to cruise 2-3 times a year.

If it is just you and you DH, is your posting in reference to the 2-bedroom Villa or the 3-suite Garden Villa with Private deck, hot tub etc... The OP is talking about the GV #14000 or #14500.

And, on the "DAWN" there is no "HAVEN".

Hi there! We just returned from the 5 day Pacific Coastal cruise on the NCL Pearl. We stayed in the Deluxe Owner's Suite, room 15000. I agree with you that some of the prices are outrageous and I have no idea how some afford it. For us, we choose mostly repo cruises that are less popular and at odd times of year. That causes prices to be lower and the better rooms to be more affordable.

We originally booked 11028, a mini suite but 3 weeks before sailing the prices of the aft penthouse suites dropped and we paid the difference in fare, $100, and got the aft Penthouse 8130. It was a great upsell because it included all the suite benefits. I told my PCC at NCL to put on the reservation that if an upsell to the owner's suite became available, we'd like to be called. I've been cruising on NCL since 1984 and I've never been called by the reassignment desk but I always tell them I'd be interested. Two days before sailing we were called with a more reasonable upsell to the owner's suite. It was still an additional $200 a day for 5 days to get the upsell but we thought it was worth it because when would we ever have the chance again to afford it? Overall we paid about 70% of what they were originally asking for the owner's suite but because it was a repo, it was already a reduced price. It was still a lot and we won't be able to cruise like that everytime but every so often we treat ourselves.

I think if you get the GV and can travel with 8 adults, the breakdown is pretty reasonable for most sailings.

We are some of those people who paid through the nose for a Garden Villa sailing a few years ago.. At the time, it was selling for $20K each for pax One and Two and another $1500 for Three and Four, although we got a decent discount from CAS. Was it worth it? Absolutely! Doing it again next summer, but for significantly less...

Robin

Here's another way to look at it: We're on the Pearl next November (2013) and I looked at the price for two people, per square foot, and the total price for the GV is $3.36/ft for the week. The cost for an SF for the week is $7.95/ft. This isn't a perfect example as the large the room the lower the price per square ft. My point is, if you need it/want it, when you look at the price per square foot, it isn't bad.

For many, like us, it comes down to their need for the week. We're going on a cruise in Nov 2014 with a total of 14 people and will be booking a GV (8 will be in the GV) and the other family members will be visiting the GV regularly (not The Haven!! - just a little side not based upon some previous threads about people not staying in The Haven coming to The Haven).

Having stayed in a GV before, we knew it would be a great fit for the family, and are looking forward to booking it again.

I like this question- probably because I have thought a lot about it over the last 6 months or so, as we will be sailing in a GV on Gem in January. Ten years ago, when husband and I were in our early 20s, we ALWAYS sailed in an inside cabin on a high deck- we literally used the cabin only for sleeping, and the only factor of importance was being close to the sun deck. Over the years, and especially once we had children, we started to "splurge" for balcony cabins. Actually, a balcony almost becomes a necessity when you have very small children, unless you want your bedtime to be 8pm along with them. With a balcony, we would put the kids to bed, then enjoy wine and snacks or dessert on the balcony for a few hours. Another note worthy of mention is that we now almost always travel with my parents, as they love to be around our three young children, and we love the extra help (and their company, of course!)

Fast foward to today. We are now in the financial position to be able to afford greater luxuries than a decade ago, for sure, which is certainly the most important consideration. We now have an immediate traveling group of seven, which includes three children 5 years and under, and my parents. What appealed to me absolutely most about the GV was not only the completely separate bedrooms for the kids, but also the fact that there was room for my parents to stay in the same "cabin" so that we all share the living space. Now, the kids can go to bed and we can all socialize, either in the large living area, or even outside to enjoy the evening ocean air. On our last cruise in two mini-suites, my parents would literally sneak through our room of sleeping children to get out to our balcony, where we would all squeeze to try and get another drink in together before bed! Other than that, we would take turns being "out and about" around the ship in the evening after dinner. We are also looking forward to breakfasts (and an occassional dinner) in our room, time at the Haven pool, especially while leaving and returning to NYC in January, and having lots of room for our kids to play without the constant worry that they are disturbing other vacationers.

Last, but certainly not least, is the fact that we are also really able to "treat" my parents now. They have been extraordinarilly supportive of us throughout college, grad school, and husband working long hours. Although they love to be away with the grandkids, I want them to really feel special and enjoy this vacation as well. We are just feeling so fortunate that we can do this!

Exactly! We have sailed the Gem from NY to the Med for 14 wonderful days. We love having all the space. It's like being out of town in a 3 bedroom condo with a concierge and butler catering to your every whim! We are so spoiled now that we don't want to sail on a ship that has a GV if we aren't in it. We have done the GV on the Star, Gem, Jade and Jewel. Lately we have veered off to the Epic and next year we have the Breakaway, but I'm always watching for "deals" on the GV. Have a wonderful time!

We have sailed in the GV on the Star twice and the Jewel once. We sailed once with 8 people, took my neice and friends on a senior trip, one with 4 when we took my parents for their Christmas gift and once with just the 2 of us. It is absolutely worth every penny. We vacation to get away from the hustle and bustle of running our own businesses. Life in the GV keeps you as isolated as you want to be. And the upper deck on the Star is amazing. We just returned earlier this month from cruising out of New York and passing the Statue of Liberty standing up on that deck was so moving.

We returned today from a company trip on Carnival and I really missed my perks with NCL.

I blame NCL for all our cruises! They had the nerve to upgrade us from a BA (aft) to a two-bedroom courtyard on the Pearl back in 2008.

Our first cruise was on Celeb inside and that was fine. So how did we get to the point where we have to have the same view as the captain in a stateroom with 800 sq ft?

I think it really depends on the number of people you have and your flexibility. We are taking all the kids on a trip next year. DH, Myself plus 6 kids. Because of the age of the kids, we can only book 2 rooms since an adult needs to be in each of the rooms. Having 4 in a cabin is TIGHT. We were thinking of doing an upgrade and the GV is the only thing that is big enough for 8 so it is a possibility, especially with the perks. I'm afraid they would totally be spoiled for life!!

I often wonder how NCL can charge so much for these obviously DELUXE and superior accomodations....I only wonder as to the logic and the luxury value...... I have recently seen some GV's and DOS's going for anywhere between 10 and 15 thousand dollars per person.

I just saw a Garden villa on the Star advertised at 15,998.00 per person for a 14 day repositioning from NYC to New Orleans.

:

Our family sailed in the Garden Villa on the Gem last November and it was nowhere near that price. I think the price for the 3rd to 8th person in the suite was under $200 per person.

The Garden Villa and all the extra perks that come with it would have been worth it even at that price though.

Here are some pictures of the Villa on Webshots.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/581814446HlPmjK

Dotsie

Archived