Snorkeling?

lola4795

We're hitting Roatan, Belize, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman. Can anyone provide me with information on Snorkeling in these ports?

What I want to know:

Which port has the best shore snorkeling?

Which port has the best off shore snorkeling?

Thanks!

This is a cross post from the Snorkeling board. That one doesn't seem to get much action, so I thought I would try here too!

It just all depends on what you want to get out of it

Thanks for your quick reply! I'm not really sure what you mean by the above statement. I guess our plan is to do one snorkel excursion that you have to reach by boat. I don't want to do a snorkel excursion at a place that also has good snorkeling from the shore.

Basically, we plan on doing a snorkel excursion in one port and then staying on the beach and snorkeling in another port.

Does this make sense?

I agree with Wrigley 80!

Belize has the second largest reef worldwide but you do have to go offshore . We booked thru Hammerhead Watersports and had a great time snorkeling, seeing wild manatees, and a nice break on Bannister Island with some cold Belikin beer. They took good care of us, the boat was not crowded, and they had us back to the shore in enough time to have some lobster fritters( and another cold beer!) at the Wet Lizard before catching the tender back to the ship.

We did go offshore at Cozumel to Planacar reef but there is good snorkeling from the shore at many beaches.

In Grand Cayman for snorkel from the beach, go to Cemetary Beach or 7 Mile Beach. And, if you have never done it, go visit the sting rays and snorkel Coral Gardens. This is offshore but not to be missed.

We snorkeled in all four of those ports...

Grand Cayman - We did the Reef, Rays and Rum Point tour through Nativeway. Stingray City is an amazing experience and the reef that they took us to was great. Rum point was a nice place to hang out and relax.

Roatan - We went to the old Fins and Flippers island, now called Mayan Key and offered through Carnival. They have a long pier with a ladder at the end that puts you into waist deep water. You swim through a channel in the rocks and suddenly the bottom drops away and you are swimming along the edge of the reef. It was possibly the best snorkeling I have seen outside of Hawaii.

Belize - We did the Carnival excursion to Goff Cay since it left from the ship (Belize is a tender port). The snorkeling was OK if you got away from the herd. The island was beautiful and the lunch was great..

Cozumel - We went to Chankanaab Park and snorkeled off shore. It wasn't as nice as Grand Cayman or Roatan but was still very good. Lots of huge parrotfish and we saw a grouper that was at least 5 feet long.

We have used Native ways in GC too, as well as Capt. marv. They were both great -- Native ways we did a private tour and it was amazing. Moses our guide was perfect and entertaining. When are you going? Be sure to check if it is conch season. we dove down for our own and then they made fresh conch ceviche for us there on the boat. YUM!!

we have snorkeled from the beach a few places in Coz. Try the light house.

We thought Roatan had some of the best Snorkeling from the beach that we have seen. Go to Half Moon bay or ask a taxi driver. They are pretty good. I have heard Belize is a very good site on an excursion out to the barrier reef. Enjoy

We did the carnival excursion for snorkeling from the ship, it wasn't the goff's cay one it was just snorkeling. We were picked up from the ship and returned to the ship and it gave us enough time for a quick lunch on board and then tendered into Belize port for a quick look around. It was pretty good and one of the more reasonable priced excursions offered thru the ship. I have read that snorkeling in Roatan from shore is very good if you leave the port.

Our vote would definately be Roatan for the best snorkeling from shore. We love West Bay Beach...the reef starts just a few yards out and there isn't much current to fight. I think the current is more of an issue for shore snorkeling off Cozumel. (We did a 3 reef snorkel by boat in Cozumel last year and loved it.) We also enjoy going to Cemetery Beach on GC for a quiet relaxing day. You can snorkel off shore there too. There are a lot of fish out by the reef but the coral isn't healthy. :(

For off-shore snorkeling we love Belize. Last year we did the Goff's Cay excursion with Ecological Tours and this year we did Ambergris Caye with the same company. Fantastic!!!

We have snorkeled in all 4 ports-best so far, was last month at El Cid in Cozumel, Mahogany Bay (early in the morning) and Don Fosters in Grand Cayman, our experience with the reef in Belize was three years ago, and the area where we snorkeled was a pretty dead reef. For the time and money, El Cid wins hands down.

ROATAN! ROATAN! ROATAN! Get away from the man-made beach at the port. Take a tour of the island through Victor Bodden tours, and ask to add on the glass bottom boat snorkeling. We were taken out to the west end of the island, and my party of 3 were the only guests on the glass bottom boat. It was just us, with our own private snorkel tour. It's the best snorkeling I've seen anywhere!!! It didn't take too long either. Afterwards, we were taken over to a beach on the west end. From there, I did some snorkeling from the beach. It was the best shore snorkeling I've seen anywhere!!! Grand Cayman & Cozumel don't even come close. We paid $90 + tip for the Victor Bodden tour for the 3 of us (with our own driver for the day, where we decided what to do and what not to do). It was $15 each to add the glass bottom boat snorkel. Prices may have gone up since. I had plenty of time to enjoy the shore snorkeling from the beach, and there was a decent amount of time with the off-shore snorkeling too.

Money Bar at Cozumel: $5.00 cab ride from pier (per person). Snorkeling Dzul Ha at Money Bar is free. No cost but we did buy drinks so that we could use their chairs and umbrella.

Did Bananarama private excursion at Roatan: $35 for van ride to/from West End. Includes welcome drink and beach chair. (per person) Best snorkeling that we have ever done was here.

Stingray City in Grand Cayman: can't remember what we paid but it was fantastic. We didn't snorkel here but have read that there is excellent shore snorkeling close to the dock which we plan to do when we return from Stingray City.

Haven't done any snorkeling in Belize, but I still researching this.

We always carry our own snorkels, masks, and fins on all of our cruises.

Have fun!

Julie

I can only speak for GC, but there is an iron-shore right at the port where the ships dock, with two awesome dive shops and spots where you can snorkel for free if you have your own gear. Otherwise, the shop will rent it for about $15, including vest. You just turn right when you get off the ship, and walk along the shore/road for about 10 mins or so. You can see the center's roof from the ship.

Can't remember the names, but we went to the one that you come to second. They rent lockers, have bathrooms, and you just snorkel right off the shore. About 500m out is a huge wall of coral, absolutely beautiful, no fees and no need to book a boat or tour.

DH and I got the first tender off the ship, maybe 8 AM, and we were the only people snorkelling there for an hour. Wonderful staff, cheap, fabulous experience. Maybe grab a cab to the beach after you've snorkeled.

I snorkeled the beach in GC a few years ago on another cruise, but there was no coral so mostly just a couple of fish here and there, the occasional squid, etc.

If you haven't yet, be sure to check tripadvisor dot com for more thorough reviews and lists of attractions at each of your ports. The forums over there are also extremely helpful.

We've done all 4 stops as well - BIG vote for Tabyana beach at Roatan - best site for a huge variety of fish - we had schools swimming around us! Have to do the excursion through the ship (only downside), but they have private security at the beach which made us very comfortable dropping our stuff and heading into the water.

Money Bar at Cozumel: $5.00 cab ride from pier (per person). Snorkeling Dzul Ha at Money Bar is free. No cost but we did buy drinks so that we could use their chairs and umbrella.

Did Bananarama private excursion at Roatan: $35 for van ride to/from West End. Includes welcome drink and beach chair. (per person) Best snorkeling that we have ever done was here.

Stingray City in Grand Cayman: can't remember what we paid but it was fantastic. We didn't snorkel here but have read that there is excellent shore snorkeling close to the dock which we plan to do when we return from Stingray City.

Haven't done any snorkeling in Belize, but I still researching this.

We always carry our own snorkels, masks, and fins on all of our cruises.

Have fun!

Julie

How did you like Money Bar? Easy snorkeling? Lots of things to see? We are considering hanging out there while in Coz -- I also saw that they offer a baby dive, which we're considering...

We thought the snorkelling was fantastic at Tabyana Beach, Roatan. It was better than the reef we went to in Grand Cayman on the Rays Reef and Rum Point excursion. Have fun.

I agree with both of these, especially in front of Tabayana...excellent from the shore!

Roatan - We went to the old Fins and Flippers island, now called Mayan Key and offered through Carnival. They have a long pier with a ladder at the end that puts you into waist deep water. You swim through a channel in the rocks and suddenly the bottom drops away and you are swimming along the edge of the reef. It was possibly the best snorkeling I have seen outside of Hawaii.

THANKS!!! been looking for something just like this....any other info on this one?

THANKS!!! been looking for something just like this....any other info on this one?

We did this exact one a couple of years ago. You travel by boat for probably around 15 minutes until you reach Maya Key Resort. It is a beautiful resort with a nice buffet, buckets of beer and great snorkeling off the pier. There were guides there that would take you across the reef and point things out to you. I think he asked for about 10 bucks. Very reasonable. There is also a wildlife refuge where we saw big cats, monkeys, exotic birds etc. They also have replicas of ruins that we were able to climb. They have hourly shows of shark feedings and other sea life programs. One of the best excursions we have ever done. Tip: Take insect repellant. Seems there were a few sand fleas while we were there due to recent rain.

Archived