Tell me: Why Disney?

parrotthead

I know where you're coming from, I've done 5 Carnival cruises and haven't cruised Disney yet. I did just book the Disney Magic, and here are some of the Disney benefits I'm banking on:

1) Can take on my own alcohol (doesn't sound like this is important to you)

2) Entertainment is geared towards kids. On carnival the entertainment, outside of camp carnival, was geared to adults. We have a 7 yo DD that we've taken on 2 cruises, and carnival just doesn't cater to her. Disney does cater to kids

3) I think DD is the right age to really enjoy it, the characters, the princesses, activities, shows, etc

Honestly, if I were you, I'd wait until your grandson is older before paying the premium. I wouldn't consider it unless I thought DD was the right age.

Full disclosure: we booked for January on the Kid's Sail Free promotion. It was actually our only option because we now also have a DS (4 months) and Disney is the only cruise line that will take babies under 6 months. So it was either Disney, or wait until March to cruise again. That probably influenced my decision some too. :)

I know it's for sure in Galveston. You'd have to check Disney's website for other locations.

Thanks. Just did a check and it's only on cruises from Galveston. They also have special rates for those sailings if you don't have kids.

Galveston isn't the most convenient cruise port to get too and it's obviously not selling well.

Bill

Hi - I haven't read all the responses because this type of question is asked frequently and the answers are pretty much the same. I would definitely wait until your grandchild is 2 1/2 - 3 years old. Sixteen months old is just too young to get the whole Disney experience (character interactions/parties, tea party, pirate night, etc.) - especially the shows!! Many people will say their 16-18 month old child loved the shows but there were enough of those kids sitting behind me that either didn't understand the show or were restless (and sorry, annoying) throughout the show. Also - the kids clubs for the potty-trained/older kids is much nicer and more interactive than the nursery.

Here's the kids menus from our Wonder MR cruise:

<Disney Menu Images>

And, as PP noted, you can always order off the adult menu for your grandson. And you can order off the kids menu, if you wish.

:)

This is cool, Thanks! I Love the Chef's Entree of the Day! Thats more like what he eats... on our latest Cruise (Carnival Magic, 10/7/12) we did order for him off the Adult menu, or let him share off ours, even at 16 months he tryed the Aligator, and Lobster, etc. But many times I felt wastefull, for instance ordering him a chicken breast/ Veggies/ potatoes and of course he could not eat it all... but here (Im guessing) would be more "child portions"

Nice... Im glad to see they offer Children what we consider 'real food' :)

(Big Plus!)

Also, Im not really Looking to Put him in Babysitting, he is with us full time at home anyway, he is used to being on the go and just doing what we do... (hes very complient--so we are lucky, not the typical toddler who needs to be put down for a nap or bed at a certian time/place, etc, is able to sit thru seated dinners, etc) But, I would like him to be able to enjoy some time with other children, other caregivers, etc... On the CCLMagic recently,. we did "stay and play" (where we go to the kids camp and play with him) but also tryed (for the first time) leaving him and letting the staff watch him (roughly $7 per hour)... just to see how he would do... he only lasted about 40 minutes the first time, but the 2nd time when I went to pick him up after an hour, he was doing ok... so we *might* would take advantage of the babysitting just to expose him to being cared for by others... (and I do trust that on the ships he would be cared for, I feel comfortable that the ships staff would not do anything to jepordize the companys reputation... onCarnival or Disney)

You can bring your own alcohol on board in your carry on with Disney.

Disney is offering kids sailing free with two adults in one stateroom on cruises beginning in January and ending early March.

If none of you are Disney fans, then I'd stick with the line you already love. Disney can offer you magical experiences though.

Can you tell me more about this? I had heard mention of the KSF program, but could not find any info...

Thanks. Just did a check and it's only on cruises from Galveston. They also have special rates for those sailings if you don't have kids.

Galveston isn't the most convenient cruise port to get too and it's obviously not selling well.

Bill

its convenient if ya live in Dallas

;)

I would add that Diseny has alot to offer adults in entertainement and cruising in general.

We have seen many couples, of all ages and in talking with them we have found there is a large following, people who love the classic look of the Disney vessels, over the glass and chrome, las Vegas feel of other lines.

While Disney does not have the over the top party and drinking feel of some Carnival cruises they have great clubs. However they do close up earlier.

Disney is well worth the price, for adaults as well as kids.

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise!

AKK

I love DCL! As stated by many previously, Disney is tops in entertainment for the entire family! There is something to do for all age groups, it just depends on what your specific interests are. Yes, soda and juice are free (but if you don't like soda or juice, not much of an interest there). If you like the shows (Disney Dreams is my abosulte favorite) then this is the cruise for you, but if you don't like the shows, then there's not much of an interest there. The kids programs cater to all age groups, especially the younger sets. I love it, my daughter couldn't get enough if it when she was younger. I found that CCL was terrible when it came to the tweenies, there was no program for them.. good for the younger kids, good for the older kids, but the 12-15yo had no place to go on the ship (Carnival LIberty). Disney does service like there's no other. They made what you wanted happen! I found the food superb, the decor on the Magic beautiful and the cabins roomy and easily manageable. I would not hestitate to go on a cruise as an adult without kids. (personally, I would not travel on vacation with a child under 3 only because of the drama that goes alomg with having to pack all that stuff for the kids, but I have done it- my youngest is now 18)! I am lookimg forward to going on the Fantasy in the next few years.. I have a couple of other cruises planned.

Happy Travels

• 2 weeks later...

I am planning on taking my nephew on a Disney Cruise in Oct 2013. I believe it is the Disney Wonder and its out of Galveston. Closest port to us :D I am so excited about this. He will be 6 almost 7 when we go. I have always cruised Carnival because I could not justify spending that much more on a Disney Cruise for me. But for this boy I am going to do it. He will so very much love and I absolutely cannot wait. It will be his first cruise too! He is my only nephew. I have a niece but she will only be 19 months old. Much to young to go off with me without her momma and daddy. LOL. But then my sister goes well we may go if you are going to pay for the boy. (which i am even if they go) and then my mom goes well we might go too. so maybe its a family trip. haha...

I am planning on taking my nephew on a Disney Cruise in Oct 2013. I believe it is the Disney Wonder and its out of Galveston. Closest port to us :D I am so excited about this. He will be 6 almost 7 when we go. I have always cruised Carnival because I could not justify spending that much more on a Disney Cruise for me. But for this boy I am going to do it. He will so very much love and I absolutely cannot wait. It will be his first cruise too! He is my only nephew. I have a niece but she will only be 19 months old. Much to young to go off with me without her momma and daddy. LOL. But then my sister goes well we may go if you are going to pay for the boy. (which i am even if they go) and then my mom goes well we might go too. so maybe its a family trip. haha...

Lucky nephew.

That's a nice age to go. he will love it and luckily for you Galveston prices are much lower than the rest of the fleet so you get a bonus.

Maybe they'll have the kids sail free again for the time you are cruising.

You are a great Aunt.:)

Bill

Lucky nephew.

That's a nice age to go. he will love it and luckily for you Galveston prices are much lower than the rest of the fleet so you get a bonus.

Maybe they'll have the kids sail free again for the time you are cruising.

You are a great Aunt.:)

Bill

Thank you :D I try to be haha

ok sailed on ccl and dcl and let me tell you ccl not even in the same relm as dcl in almost every aspect and dcl lets you bring your own booze on board not just wine or beer but as much alcohol as you want

Beverage Policy

Question

What is the policy regarding bringing alcoholic beverages on board?

Answer

Alcohol is permitted on board. However, any fragile items (including alcoholic beverages) must be hand-carried on board in the carry-on of an adult Guest – age 21 or older (dimensions can't exceed 22" wide, 14" high and 9" deep).

Alcohol brought on board may not be consumed in any lounge or public area.

Guests who arrive in the dining room, including Palo and Remy, with a bottle of champagne or wine will be charged a corking fee of $20.00 per bottle.

Please be advised: Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to remove fragile items (including beverages) from checked luggage. In such cases, items will be stored and returned at the end of the voyage. Beverage containers are considered fragile and have previously caused damage in checked luggage. All fragile items must be transported inside carry-on luggage.

never had a problem with drinking alcohol at any location on board but never made lush out of my self either so that said paying extra for a disney cruise and not having to pay for soda and not having a 500.00 bar tab makes it worth the extra money a disney cruise cost

Archived