crew wages?

vols159

It is our business as I am expected to make their wages up to a living wage with my tips.

Do you feel this way about tipping at a restaurant??? Do you ask the waiters or waitresses how much they pulled in that month so you can adjust your tip to what YOU feel would bring their salary to a level YOU are comfortable with???

I truly believe people that feel like you must hate their own salary and be so miserable that they feel they need to control what others make.

You tip for service. The auto tips are minimal, but if they pain you, you can remove them. That's on you.

I don't get it.

These 'crew salary' discussions just amaze me. I don't understand why so many seem intrigued by what they make. More so, I don't understand the pity and I don't understand the complete opposite people who actually are jealous because they feel the crew make more than them. Either end of this is just bizarre.

Their job is their choice and their salary is nobody's business.

Your job is your choice and your salary is nobody's business and if you actually get pissed at the possibility that someone who cleans cabins may make more than you, then maybe it's time to reinvent yourself and try another career. If that's not possible, then getting the huge chip off your shoulder may make you feel better.

Just curious......... does mine sound angry and rude?? If so I dont mean it that way

At first, I thought your posts sounded bitter too but after reading the following ones, I understood where you were going and I agree with you totally. Their job is their choice (as was yours). There is no place for pity.

so maybe making $4k a month does not seem like a lot to some.

They do not need to pay tax, housing, food, utilities, car, gas... How many of us will have $4k left each month after all those expense?

They do not need to pay tax, housing, food, utilities, car, gas... How many of us will have $4k left each month after all those expense?

Most countries still expect their citizens to pay taxes regardless of where in the world it is earned. They might not have withholding but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they still have to pay.

Most countries still expect their citizens to pay taxes regardless of where in the world it is earned. They might not have withholding but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they still have to pay.

The U.S. is the only country that taxes its citizens on their world-wide income, no matter where they live.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2012/05/18/tax-history-why-u-s-pursues-citizens-overseas/

The U.S. is the only country that taxes its citizens on their world-wide income, no matter where they live.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2012/05/18/tax-history-why-u-s-pursues-citizens-overseas/

The crew of a cruise ship are still residents of their native country, they haven't taken up residence in a different country, which if I remember the article correctly what the article is about.

How many of us work 16 hours a day? If I took on a second full time job, I would have that left over.

Is your job comparable to the crew job? If a waiter in your local restaurant working 16 hours a day, do you think he will have $4k left each month?

The crew of a cruise ship are still residents of their native country, they haven't taken up residence in a different country, which if I remember the article correctly what the article is about.

Are you sure the crews are still treated as residents even they are not live in their home countries most of the times? But even it is the case, if Carnival does not report their income to their home countries, how could their governments enforce the tax law (if there is a such law)? I don't think US waiters pay tax on the tips they received.

Are you sure the crews are still treated as residents even they are not live in their home countries most of the times? But even it is the case, if Carnival does not report their income to their home countries, how could their governments enforce the tax law (if there is a such law)? I don't think US waiters pay tax on the tips they received.

Yes, US waiters pay tax on the tips they receive, they are required to report them to their employer and the employer is responsible for withholding (the IRS has formulas that it uses to enforce this). I was still a resident of Vermont the 16 years I spent in the Navy, regardless of where I was living, everyone must be a resident of somewhere (The Man without a Country was a work of fiction, after all;)).

As far as enforcement goes, I suppose it's like a self-employed person here in the states and it's based on the honor system, but I'm sure the other taxing agencies have formulas they use for enforcement also.

And Im sure you have never served in the military and are not aware of what we make or our living conditions. And what we do is not for any amount of money but is does allw you to enjoy your cruise vacation.

Do you know some sailors in the Navy HOT RACK. They dont even get their own quaters or bed. and the food we have to eat cruisers would complain about,

Also what the room stewards on a cruise ship make is alot more than we made. We never got tips.

Dont even get me started on what the Marines I served with sleep in and the food we ate. But we all made a choice to protect our great country.

Stop feeling sorry for these cruise employees they made a choice to make alot more money than they would have ever made at home.

Well said Doc and thank you for your service!!!

I learned on my last cruise when we did the behind the scenes tour about crew pay. Not that I particularly think it is my business but it is nice to know if you are one that believes they should be tipped extra as I do.

There are two levels of "crew" one that does get a (small) salary which includes those employees who do not have much if any passenger interaction. This would be the guys working in Lido dinning area, the people that maintain cleanliness around the ship and those who wash your sheets and such. The second are the crew that have passenger interaction. This being your wait staff, bartenders, and cabin steward. They do not get a salary at all and work strickly for their tips.

Just in case anyone is interested.

Is your job comparable to the crew job? If a waiter in your local restaurant working 16 hours a day, do you think he will have $4k left each month?

I would guess if you worked as a server in a decent restaurant 16 hours a day, 6 days a week, lived in a small room (shared with a second person), didn't have a car, ate well (but no restaurant meals, alcohol or soda - all things the crew would need to pay extra for), didn't have a cell phone or make long distance calls (this too the crew would have to pay extra for) then yes, I do believe you could get have $4000 left at the end of the month.

4K a month is 48000 a year. That is a good living wage in the US.

What I read was that the wages including tips were $1500 to $4000. I would bet that it is the few that are making $4000 and the many that are making closer to $1500. But yes- that is a guess.

I would guess if you worked as a server in a decent restaurant 16 hours a day, 6 days a week, lived in a small room (shared with a second person), didn't have a car, ate well (but no restaurant meals, alcohol or soda - all things the crew would need to pay extra for), didn't have a cell phone or make long distance calls (this too the crew would have to pay extra for) then yes, I do believe you could get have $4000 left at the end of the month.

I never worked as a server. But I heard they only earn minimum wages, which is $7.25 per hour. Assume waiter Joe made $10/h, which is 38% higher than minimum wage, he would make $20,800 per year if he worked 40 hours per week. If he worked 16 hours a day, 5 days a week, he would make $41,600 a year. If he worked 6 days a week, 16 hours a day, he would make $49,920 a year. Since he lived in a small room (shared with a second person), didn't have a car, he must be single. For a single, $49,920 is a decent income and he will have to pay tax. Social Security/Medicare and federal tax can easily add up to 20%. Assume he is lucky and lives in a place without state or local tax, working 16 hours a day, 6 days a week, after tax each year he will pocket $39,936, which is $3,328 per month. So tell me how this hard working waiter Joe can have $4000 left at the end of the month? :confused:

Oh, we forgot he also has to pay rent, electricity and water. (Assume he only ate leftover and never spent a dime on food) :(

I never worked as a server. But I heard they only earn minimum wages, which is $7.25 per hour. Assume waiter Joe made $10/h, which is 38% higher than minimum wage, he would make $20,800 per year if he worked 40 hours per week. If he worked 16 hours a day, 5 days a week, he would make $41,600 a year. If he worked 6 days a week, 16 hours a day, he would make $49,920 a year. Since he lived in a small room (shared with a second person), didn't have a car, he must be single. For a single, $49,920 is a decent income and he will have to pay tax. Social Security/Medicare and federal tax can easily add up to 20%. Assume he is lucky and lives in a place without state or local tax, working 16 hours a day, 6 days a week, after tax each year he will pocket $39,936, which is $3,328 per month. So tell me how this hard working waiter Joe can have $4000 left at the end of the month? :confused:

Oh, we forgot he also has to pay rent, electricity and water. (Assume he only ate leftover and never spent a dime on food) :(

If Joe is a server, he'd be earning tips - a good server can earn quite a bit in 16 hours which would make your $10 an hour a very low figure. He would be making the $7.25 an hour plus tips (assuming most people would leave 15% of their bill, that's quite a bit in a 16 hour shift). If the crew onboard need to earn most of their compensation through gratuities, then so would our server Joe.

Servers do not make minimum wage everywhere in the US. They are paid a hourly wage. Then they report their tips for tax purposes. The employer is responsible for making up wages if the server does have enough tips to cover the minimum wage for hours worked.

Servers that have to be supplemented to bring their wage and tip total to at least minimum wage do not retain their job for long.

If you tip a server or somone in a salon, cash is king. If the service person has met the requirement for minimum wage, some will not report all tips, thus working partially under the table so to speak. They are making income that cannot be traced if they do not report them and so that income tax free. No, it isn't legal, and if caught the taxes and fines could really put someone in financial distress, but it happens all the time.

I tend to tip cash. (on a crise ship I tip cash for above and beyond reccomended gratuities) What the service person reports or does not report is on them.

Crew members aren't homeless vagabonds!!! Yes, younger ones may not have expenses like these... But there are plenty that have mortgages, car payments, insurance, student loans, cell phones, etc wherever home may be..... The real world doesn't stop because someone works on a ship.

I was a crew member for 5 years (entertainment) when I was younger. I didn't have a house yet but I did have car payments, cell phone, insurance bills and student loans that had to be paid every month regardless of the fact that I was "living for free". Guess what? Also had to pay taxes on my salary....

Crew members aren't homeless vagabonds!!! Yes, younger ones may not have expenses like these... But there are plenty that have mortgages, car payments, insurance, student loans, cell phones, etc wherever home may be..... The real world doesn't stop because someone works on a ship.

I was a crew member for 5 years (entertainment) when I was younger. I didn't have a house yet but I did have car payments, cell phone, insurance bills and student loans that had to be paid every month regardless of the fact that I was "living for free". Guess what? Also had to pay taxes on my salary....

I think we are talking about crew in general here, not just American crew. How many American crew members can you find on a cruise ship? On Dream, the girl told us there were only two. How many those Philippino waiters are paying student loans? In fact, there is no such thing as student loan in many 3rd world countries. And why a Thailand housekeeper wanted to own a car if she spent 9 months on the ship?

I think we are talking about crew in general here, not just American crew. How many American crew members can you find on a cruise ship? On Dream, the girl told us there were only two. How many those Philippino waiters are paying student loans? In fact, there is no such thing as student loan in many 3rd world countries. And why a Thailand housekeeper wanted to own a car if she spent 9 months on the ship?

As I mentioned before, the waiter we spoke to in-depth on the Epic from India was single but supporting his Mother, Father, and siblings in India. He was very pround to have built them a house and purchased them a car that they couldn't even drive...an extreme luxury for his family. I believe many of the cruise ship workers from foreign countries are supporting families back home.

Many of these posts are trying to lump the crew into one mold and picking the items to stress their point. These people all have different backgrounds and goals, so they do not fit into your imaginary mold.

As you meet and get acquainted with some of the crew members, you find that they either like or dislike the jobs. Those who like the jobs return year after year until they achieve their goals.

Learn to know them as individuals, and you will find some very interesting friends.

Many of these posts are trying to lump the crew into one mold and picking the items to stress their point. These people all have different backgrounds and goals, so they do not fit into your imaginary mold.

As you meet and get acquainted with some of the crew members, you find that they either like or dislike the jobs. Those who like the jobs return year after year until they achieve their goals.

Learn to know them as individuals, and you will find some very interesting friends.

Agree.

Archived