Mobility Scooter-Lock it up?

djmcleod

We are leaving Sunday 10/7 on the Explorer of the Seas to Bermuda. Due to CHF and 4 surgeries in the past 10 months, I have rented a mobility scooter from Special Needs at Sea for DH. I understand that the MDR is several levels. Is there an entrance from the ship at each level, or do you have to enter on one level and go up/down stairs to different level of the dining room? Last cruise was 2006 on Carnival and I just didn't pay much attention to this I guess.

Also, DH will be able to park scooter at entrance of MDR, buffet, shows, etc. and walk to table or seats in showroom as long as it's not far. I understand from these boards that even if he has the key to scooter in his pocket, anyone else with a key to same type of scooter could theoretically start the scooter he has left at entrance and take it. Should we get a bicycle type chain lock to put on it? I am especially worried about this in port at Bermuda should we decide to go in restaurant, shops, etc. How do you guys with scooters handle this? I would hate to have to pay for a stolen scooter.

Thanks

We are leaving Sunday 10/7 on the Explorer of the Seas to Bermuda. Due to CHF and 4 surgeries in the past 10 months, I have rented a mobility scooter from Special Needs at Sea for DH. I understand that the MDR is several levels. Is there an entrance from the ship at each level, or do you have to enter on one level and go up/down stairs to different level of the dining room? Last cruise was 2006 on Carnival and I just didn't pay much attention to this I guess.

Also, DH will be able to park scooter at entrance of MDR, buffet, shows, etc. and walk to table or seats in showroom as long as it's not far. I understand from these boards that even if he has the key to scooter in his pocket, anyone else with a key to same type of scooter could theoretically start the scooter he has left at entrance and take it. Should we get a bicycle type chain lock to put on it? I am especially worried about this in port at Bermuda should we decide to go in restaurant, shops, etc. How do you guys with scooters handle this? I would hate to have to pay for a stolen scooter.

Thanks

Regarding MDR

• There are entrances on all levels
  • Once on board go to the MDR and check the location of your table. If you're concerned see the Matre'D and request a table change.
  • Even if the table is too far to walk, the scooter can be driven as close to the table as possible and your waiter or assistant waiter will park it for you. Just remember to ask them to bring the key back to you after parking it.

Regarding Lock

• Yes the keys are not unique to each scooter. However on the ship there shouldn't be any issue for concern and you won't need to lock it. Just make certain to do something to the scooter that immediately identifies it as being yours just in case someone else accidentally thinks it's theirs. ( but that's never happened in the all my cruises people on board are usually very respectful and won't tamper with it ) I place a cruise luggage tag with my name and cain number ( same as when checking in at the dock ) on the scooter and also tie an old bright green scarf around the tiller.
  • The key becomes an issue when people on this forum have wanted to leave the scooter at the end of the dock while they than go on a bus tour which is never recommended to do. Should never leave it off the ship unattended where it will be left for hours.
  • Going into restaurants and shops I always just drive the scooter in if possible. If not than I don't go in as I use a Pride Go Go which easily breaks down for transport and no bicycle lock will secure it. If you're renting a scooter chances are that you will also have a Pride Go Go or other similar portable scooter depending on the rental company so a bicyle lock will not work.

Six night cruise to Bermuda with RCI.

Very nice tour with http://www.access.bm/

He is slow to return emails but does a good job.

Easily handled my chair & DW.

Tour included http://www.buei.org/ which is WC friendly and nice.

Also http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=bermuda%20dunk%20wench&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CFIQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D_gn456M5tp4&ei=EHmlT4nsJMnC2wX-noC1DQ&usg=AFQjCNGgur28ltpTbUbzm4umaQdSwzitEw&sig2=u7FWxO-cabjkLx7rznueOA

Which was very funny.

Also loved Underwater Museum and disabled van tour. Since timing is short, better off calling him -- Geneva, his driver is wonderful too.

For the Dockyard try Destiny Water Tours --

destinywatertours.com -- an accessible underwater boat ride -- look at schedule before your trip. Information booth near the ferry location at Dockyard - little booth.

And don't forget all ferries are accessible to scooters going to Hamilton, Saint George. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't worry about it on the ship. In Bermuda this past June, I locked my scooter up with a bicycle chain in the meeting house at the dock. We were taking a taxi tour which picked us up right there. I left it for four hours and there was no problem. Just leave it inside the house where there is security and let them know you are leaving it.

Archived