CSA Travel Insurance

DiploTraveler

I will be making final payment for our December cruise tonight and am also planning to take out travel insurance through CSA. I also plan to accept a last-minute upsell offer if given to us by HAL.

Does anyone know if CSA allows you to "upgrade" coverage in this situation, since the total trip cost would increase? Have any of you done this?

Sorry for bugging ya... I found my answer on their website. I missed it the first time through. Here's what is says, for those that are interested:

May I add coverage to my policy after I purchase it?

Yes. If you purchase additional arrangements prior to your departure date, a simple phone call to customer service will allow you to add coverage. Should you need to extend the dates for your trip, you may do so by calling us prior to your scheduled return date.

• 4 weeks later...

TRAVEL INSURANCE- Buyers Beware! October 29, 2012

My wife and I scheduled an extended vacation to Alaska, including a cross country train trip, to celebrate our birthdays. We were advised to purchase travel insurance in case of travel delays or baggage losses.

We researched on the internet for the best available insurance companies, and went thru Square Mouth Insurance, underwritten by Stonebridge Casualty Insurance, but the actual policy was issued by

CSA Travel Protection

5251 Viewridge Ct.

San Diego, CA. 92123

We paid $183.64 for the policy in June, for our September trip. The policy had a “generous reimbursement for losses”, including a $2,000 cap for lost or stolen baggage. We never anticipated having any issues, and just trying to cover all the bases. As it turned out, our camera bag (including accessories and other items) was stolen in Chicago on our way home, and the value of the items in the bag exceeded $1,100. Upon our return home, I contacted CSA to file a claim. They instructed me to download their claim forms, and file a claim. Among the forms, was a page directing me to contact my homeowners insurance to inquire if I was covered by them. We have State Farm, and they instructed me to file a claim for my losses. Following their instructions, I submitted the claim, and they promptly issued a check for over $600 (the total amount of the claim, less our $500 deductible). Upon receipt, I contacted CSA again, and they told me to complete their forms and submit our claim for the remainder. I provided every document they required, and faxed the information to their office on October 19. I called them today, and they informed me they were only going to pay us $189 for the claim, stating that their estimate only came to under $900 (they exclude eyeglasses from their policy, in the small print). They said they depreciated one of our cameras since it was over 1 year old, and that they penalize 25% for any items lost, without receipts. I explained that State Farm did not identify any specific items that the valued, and that I had provided receipts well exceeding the $500 claim I submitted, but they would not increase the payment. Essentially, I loaned CSA Travel Protection $183.64 from June to October, interest free. I am so thankful our loss was not more extensive, as I’m sure they would have treated the situation with the same quality service. I told them I would never use their service again, and that I was going to pass the word along to other travelers.

Be Forewarned, if you need travel insurance, avoid these people, and read your policy carefully before you waste your money!

K. Hanley

Altoona, Florida

csa_consumer_letter.gif:(

Archived