Early Saver Questions

I was wondering if any of you could possibly help me out. This Early Saver thing has me so confused. I purchased four of the ES rate tickets through Priceline, totaling $990.80 (Cruise amount: $716).

I called Priceline to see what amount I paid. The first lady told me to look for any rate $229 and below, and that would give me OBC. I called back when I saw a price of $209. It was a different lady, and she informed me that I paid $130 per person. I can't find anywhere in my receipts/documents what I paid per person...I only have the above information. But even the $716 amount would be $179 per person. So, I am totally lost here....

So, I do have a question...I searched for the same cruise and found a deal that would be $959.32 (Cruise amount: $666), for an E deck rather than R deck. Can I call and say that this regularly higher priced room is cheaper than the room I have now and upgrade to it and get OBC? Or do I have to find a deal that is for my exact room/deck? Can it be ANY lower price ANYWHERE on the ship?

Thanks!

Stacey

I was wondering if any of you could possibly help me out. This Early Saver thing has me so confused. I purchased four of the ES rate tickets through Priceline, totaling $990.80 (Cruise amount: $716).

I called Priceline to see what amount I paid. The first lady told me to look for any rate $229 and below, and that would give me OBC. I called back when I saw a price of $209. It was a different lady, and she informed me that I paid $130 per person. I can't find anywhere in my receipts/documents what I paid per person...I only have the above information. But even the $716 amount would be $179 per person. So, I am totally lost here....

So, I do have a question...I searched for the same cruise and found a deal that would be $959.32 (Cruise amount: $666), for an E deck rather than R deck. Can I call and say that this regularly higher priced room is cheaper than the room I have now and upgrade to it and get OBC? Or do I have to find a deal that is for my exact room/deck? Can it be ANY lower price ANYWHERE on the ship?

Thanks!

Stacey

In price-matching ES you need to make sure you're matching to the same cruise, same Cabin Category (CAT 4B for example) and the same number of passengers. You're price-matching the Cruisefare. If your current cruisefare is $716 for 4 people, determine the cruisefare for 4 people in the fares you're looking at - if the fare is less then you're entitled to a fare adjustment, which hopefully your TA will process for you.

If the cruisefare for a Category above yours drops to/below your current Cruisefare, then you can ask to upgrade to that higher category.

ken

You should be able to look at the Manage My Cruise section on Carnival.com and see what you paid. Also, if you know your cabin number you can look at the deck plans for your ship and figure out the category cabin you have booked.

The cabin category still matters. If you're booked in an Ocean View on Riviera, for example, that's going to be a category 6-something, probably 6A or 6B. The the cabin on Empress is also an Ocean View, it will be a 6-something higher than A or B, and that would be fine. But, if the cabin on Empress is an interior with will be a 4-something, and technically that is a downgrade and you can't do that under ES.

Make sense?

You need to know the cabin category that you have booked and the category of the cabin you are looking to move to.

Gotchya, they are both Oceanview cabins. However, the one I'm looking at that is cheaper than what I paid, but a higher up deck states:

Disclaimers:

Past Guest – A valid past guest number is required by at least one person in each stateroom to book this rate. Upgrades are capacity controlled and are not guaranteed.

What does "not guaranteed" mean?

And, off topic, what is better, aft or forward?

Thanks!

Stacey :)

Okay, so now when I am looking for lower rates, I have to look for Empress Oceanview and for the price that I said I saw it for, correct?

CRAP! I just looked at the room info for the new cabin they gave me, and it states that it sleeps a maximum of THREE...when there are FOUR of us! WTH?!?!?! ACK!

In price-matching ES you need to make sure you're matching to the same cruise, same Cabin Category (CAT 4B for example) and the same number of passengers. You're price-matching the Cruisefare. If your current cruisefare is $716 for 4 people, determine the cruisefare for 4 people in the fares you're looking at - if the fare is less then you're entitled to a fare adjustment, which hopefully your TA will process for you.

If the cruisefare for a Category above yours drops to/below your current Cruisefare, then you can ask to upgrade to that higher category.

ken

Thanks, Ken!

So, I got my upgrade and lower rate (OBC). If I find a fare that is lower but is on a different deck (lower), which was where I initially was, can I get that lower rate?

Thanks, Ken!

So, I got my upgrade and lower rate (OBC). If I find a fare that is lower but is on a different deck (lower), which was where I initially was, can I get that lower rate?

You have to price-match to your current "Category" Cabin. this is a little convoluted. It might be easiest to determine what "Category" your cabin is:

From the home page, Go to:

Explore |ships | your ship name | DeckPlans

and locate your cabin on the DeckPlans. Match the color code for that cabin to the "Stateroom Category Legend" on that page to determine what Category yor Cabi n is (Cat 4B, Cat 6C, for example.

[Your Category is also listed on your Booking Confirmation.]

For this Category - If you find a rate (Past Guest, your state Resident, 55+, Military....) that you're eligible for, that's below your current rate for this Category, you can get a price drop.

For this Category - if you find a rate that you're eligible for, for a higher Category that's below your current rate, you can upgerade to that higher category - which it looks like you've done once already. The requirement is that you take the upgrade and do not get OBC, but some have reported that they were able to decline the upgrade and get OBC.

ken

You have to price-match to your current "Category" Cabin. this is a little convoluted. It might be easiest to determine what "Category" your cabin is:

From the home page, Go to:

Explore |ships | your ship name | DeckPlans

and locate your cabin on the DeckPlans. Match the color code for that cabin to the "Stateroom Category Legend" on that page to determine what Category yor Cabi n is (Cat 4B, Cat 6C, for example.

[Your Category is also listed on your Booking Confirmation.]

For this Category - If you find a rate (Past Guest, your state Resident, 55+, Military....) that you're eligible for, that's below your current rate for this Category, you can get a price drop.

For this Category - if you find a rate that you're eligible for, for a higher Category that's below your current rate, you can upgerade to that higher category - which it looks like you've done once already. The requirement is that you take the upgrade and do not get OBC, but some have reported that they were able to decline the upgrade and get OBC.

ken

Thanks for all of your help, Ken! I did ask you another question to clarify on the other post. So, I won't ask again. LOL!

Stacey :)

How do you get a PVP? Is there an extra fee?

If you call the 800 number you get an agent but not a PVP.

If you don't have a personally recommended PVP (which we can't do on Cruise Critic) I believe if you click on the "contact Me" box that's usually floating on the Booking and Cruise Search pages, a PVP will call you shortly.

Personal Vacation Planner. there is no added fee.

ken

If you call the 800 number you get an agent but not a PVP.

If you don't have a personally recommended PVP (which we can't do on Cruise Critic) I believe if you click on the "contact Me" box that's usually floating on the Booking and Cruise Search pages, a PVP will call you shortly.

Personal Vacation Planner. there is no added fee.

ken

Well that's pretty cool! Thanks!

Archived