Back-to-back cruises-Wind Surf

CruiserDoc

We will be sailing on back-to-back cruises on the Wind Surf later this month; Venice-Rome and Rome-Barcelona. We are in the same cabin for both cruises. My question is about the day in Rome (the end of segment 1 and beginning of segment 2). We are scheduled to be in Civitavecchia from 7am to 5pm. Our documents have separate tickets for each segment. Two questions:

1) Will there be any "formalities" associated with the end of one cruise and start of another for us or are we free to come-and-go just as any other port day?

2) There are no shore excursions offered that day. I have looked into private tours, but it doesn't seem like there would be time for a tour to Rome due to the distance from Civitavecchi and our time in port; especially if we have to go through disembarking and re-embarking for the second segment.

Thanks in advance for help with this!

Tom

We will be sailing on back-to-back cruises on the Wind Surf later this month; Venice-Rome and Rome-Barcelona. We are in the same cabin for both cruises. My question is about the day in Rome (the end of segment 1 and beginning of segment 2). We are scheduled to be in Civitavecchia from 7am to 5pm. Our documents have separate tickets for each segment. Two questions:

1) Will there be any "formalities" associated with the end of one cruise and start of another for us or are we free to come-and-go just as any other port day?

2) There are no shore excursions offered that day. I have looked into private tours, but it doesn't seem like there would be time for a tour to Rome due to the distance from Civitavecchi and our time in port; especially if we have to go through disembarking and re-embarking for the second segment.

Thanks in advance for help with this!

Tom

You will need to claim your passport before you get off in Rome, and then hand it back over once you get back on. They will close out the previous weeks account and then reopen a new one with the same credit card. Our cabin keys didn't work when we got back on board, but it took guest services one minute to fix.

If you can be off by 7:30-ish and back by 4:00-ish, that will give you about six hours in Rome. That's enough to see quite a bit--if you pre-buy tickets for the Vatican Museum you could see that and St. Peters in six hours. (Remember the modest dress code or you'll be turned away!) You could either take the train or hire a car service.

Thanks Ducklite for the information--that's exactly what I was looking for! I see you are from the "rolling hills of Clermont". We know Clermont well--my wife's sister and brother and spouses have winter homes in Royal Highlands, and although we live in Colorado, we also have a home in Mt. Dora. Thanks again for the info! I think I'll revisit the tour to Rome idea again.

Tom

Archived