Should I Skip Nassau?

TravelGal22

I cannot imagine going someplace I have never been and not experiencing it at all.

Nassau has quite a bit to offer : snorkeling, some good restaurants, pretty good beaches, sites of historical significance. Do some research and I'm sure you'll find something worthwhile.

One time, I took a very enjoyable walking tour of Nassau, and another time, I took a nice bus tour. I've also gone snorkeling there, as well as Scuba-diving on a different trip.

There's always something nice to do on any island.

We did the walking your and visited the pirate museum. We had a wonderful time - met some great locals who were incredibly nice and helped us get to the fish fry. We went through the straw market - probably wouldn't do that again but we really enjoyed the walking tour. We loved it!

When we go in Feb. I am thinking of doing the British Colonial Hilton right off the ship. Anyone have anything good or bad to say about this?

Last 2 times I've been to Nassau we've gone to the Hilton. We just walked through the lobby and right onto the beach, grabbed a couple loungers and went with it! Of course nothing extra was included because we didn't pay for anything, but it was a very enjoyable and peaceful day.

This last time we didn't stay long because my son wanted to go to Señor Frog's, but it was still nice.

Have fun!

Last 2 times I've been to Nassau we've gone to the Hilton. We just walked through the lobby and right onto the beach, grabbed a couple loungers and went with it! Of course nothing extra was included because we didn't pay for anything, but it was a very enjoyable and peaceful day.

This last time we didn't stay long because my son wanted to go to Señor Frog's, but it was still nice.

Have fun!

Wow....can you always do this or were they just busy and "overlooked" you? Because we are in Nassau all day and I kind of just wanted to go there for an hour or two, weather permitting, then leave to do some other things. Don't need food or drink and I hate to pay $ for something I won't really be taking advantage of. It is very close to the ship isn't it? TIA

Thank you for all of the replys. I have been there once about 15 years ago. I went to the beach and it was nice but it was a long time ago and I lived in NY so any beach would have been nice. I guess I have allot to think about. I kind of like the idea of having an empty ship to myself. Then again if there is something really cool to do there than I would consider that. You've all come up with good suggestions.

Sorry, I don't remember who said it, but they said they had a bad experience in Jamaica. I wanted to go to the falls there. We've never been but my husband isn't crazy about the idea of going to Jamaica.

Thank you for all of the replys. I have been there once about 15 years ago. I went to the beach and it was nice but it was a long time ago and I lived in NY so any beach would have been nice. I guess I have allot to think about. I kind of like the idea of having an empty ship to myself. Then again if there is something really cool to do there than I would consider that. You've all come up with good suggestions.

Sorry, I don't remember who said it, but they said they had a bad experience in Jamaica. I wanted to go to the falls there. We've never been but my husband isn't crazy about the idea of going to Jamaica.

Here is my thought...We have been to Nassau I think 9 times. Each time we threaten to stay on the ship. Every time we get off the ship and find something fun to do. So it may just be the person you are.

First time we stopped in Jamaica we hated it and avoided it on other cruises as long as possible. Second time we had a blast doing a private tour and the Falls. Once again, it may just be the person you are.

This will be our third attempt to get to Grand Turk. First time had a blast. Second time Engine trouble and went back to Nassau twice in the same cruise. Hopefully we will make it to Grand Turk this trip. It is the only reason we booked the cruise. We will have fun, it may just be the person you are.

Go explore! Your going on vacation!

Wow....can you always do this or were they just busy and "overlooked" you? Because we are in Nassau all day and I kind of just wanted to go there for an hour or two, weather permitting, then leave to do some other things. Don't need food or drink and I hate to pay $ for something I won't really be taking advantage of. It is very close to the ship isn't it? TIA

Hilton does NOT allow you to just walk in and use the pool and beach.. Poster above must have been overlooked. I've seen others try it and be asked to either ante up.. or leave.

What would make people think they could enter private property and use facilites is beyond me.

The enty fee is $55 pp. and includes a voucher for $30. If you want a free beach.. keep walking past the hotel.. Junkanoo beach is right next door, and you won't risk being asked to leave.

Hilton does NOT allow you to just walk in and use the pool and beach.. Poster above must have been overlooked. I've seen others try it and be asked to either ante up.. or leave.

What would make people think they could enter private property and use facilites is beyond me.

The enty fee is $55 pp. and includes a voucher for $30. If you want a free beach.. keep walking past the hotel.. Junkanoo beach is right next door, and you won't risk being asked to leave.

Okay, no problem. ;)

I have done this twice. I never said I used the pool area, I said we occupied 2 loungers on the beach and had a wonderful day. I never tried to encroach on anyone's pay-for-venue - all we did was lounge on the beach and enjoy the sun and surf.

Sept 2010 and April/May 2012... same scenario. Doubt it if you like, but I know what we did. Wow... do you have ownership in the Nassau Hilton or something?? :confused: Geez, chill..... :rolleyes:

I have done this twice. I never said I used the pool area, I said we occupied 2 loungers on the beach and had a wonderful day. I never tried to encroach on anyone's pay-for-venue - all we did was lounge on the beach and enjoy the sun and surf.

Sept 2010 and April/May 2012... same scenario. Doubt it if you like, but I know what we did. Wow... do you have ownership in the Nassau Hilton or something?? :confused: Geez, chill..... :rolleyes:

I'm not saying you didn't do it and get away with it.. but using a lounge chair and services (maintained beach, lifeguards etc) on private property is tresspassing. Because noone noticed doesn't make it right.

It's private property.. didn't you get that feeling when you had to walk thru the lobby to the beach.

DO you do this back home???

If everyone just "chilled".. there would be no more lovely private quite beach for those of us who want it (and pay for the privelege). It will be overcrowded with cruisers wanting something for free.

Hate to break it to ya, but the beach IS a pay-for-venue...you pay for the beach, loungers, pool, etc...the free beach is Junkanoo, not at a hotel.

Archived