Turtle cove - usually crowded?

topsailgirl

I am going to St Thomas in a couple of weeks and want to go on a snorkeling excursion. Was thinking about Turtle Cove but was worried about crowds. There is one other ship in port when we are there, so it may not be a problem. But I get the feeling that a lot of people go here from each of the cruise ships in port (our ship alone is offering three excursions to Turtle Cove....) If I don't want to snorkel with tons of people/boats around, should I go to plan B?

I am going to St Thomas in a couple of weeks and want to go on a snorkeling excursion. Was thinking about Turtle Cove but was worried about crowds. There is one other ship in port when we are there, so it may not be a problem. But I get the feeling that a lot of people go here from each of the cruise ships in port (our ship alone is offering three excursions to Turtle Cove....) If I don't want to snorkel with tons of people/boats around, should I go to plan B?

We have done Turtle Cove three times, and plan to do it again on our next cruise at the end of the month. There is usually one or two other boats there in addition to ours, but I've never felt like it is overly crowded. It's a protected cove, so there is not a lot of boat traffic, other that the snorkel boats. The great thing about Turtle Cove is that seeing turtles (albeit smaller ones) is a pretty much a sure thing.

Hi there!

We've done Turtle Cove Snorkeling three times most recently a year and a half ago. I've never found there to be too many people in the water or too many boats anchored as people are snorkeling. This past time, there were only two other boats anchored there and I would say no more than 50 people in the water.....and everyone was spread out at that! There were three other cruise ships in port that day including RCCL's Oasis of the Seas which houses almost 6,000 passengers and we still did not find the Cove crowded. On all three trips to the Cove we've always opted for the morning excursion....I'm not sure if a PM excursion would be more crowded or not. You will definitely see turtles of all sizes and plenty of them! I don't think you will go wrong taking this excursion!

Enjoy!

Soleil

Archived