Have you done this?

ash82289

I was wondering what is the earliest departure flight out of MCO that someone has taken.

We will be traveling with three young kids and the best flight is departing at 10:30am. If we don't take that one we will have to wait until 8pm. Which is way to late getting home.

So tell me the earliest flight you have taken.

We have never booked a flight home before 1:30pm.

It sounds like what you are asking is if 10:30am can be done. The answer is that it is really problematic and probably won't work. The math of a 1 hour drive time, one hour to clear TSA, and arriving one hour before flight time puts you at 7:30am to disembark the ship.

The window to disembark by 7:30am is not a real option. There are way to many variables which will easily delay.

I would suggest that you take your time getting off the ship, spend that day in one of the parks, and fly home at 10:30am the next morning.

You could make that flight if:

1. You seriously hustled through disembarkment and the airport.

2. Nothing went wrong with arrival time, traffic or airport security.

You've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya?

It may be possible to book that first flight and use the second as a backup. Book the 8:00 PM flight as a refundable fare and if you make the first, get refunded. If you miss the 10:30 flight, you'll still have a way home. An expensive way home but still a way home.

Are there no other airlines going that way earlier than 8:00? If there were, you could gamble that you could get on one perhaps standby. Does the idea of spending the night at a local hotel seem like an adventure tale to be told later in dramatic fashion is it completely out of the question?

Do not book it,

DCL says do not book flights home before 12 noon.

I have got off the Disney ships at 7.30am all bar three time, once was 9am by choice, back to back but could have got off circa 7.30am but the other two were 8.20am.

Recently the Carnival Magic which docks next to the Fantasy got in at 11am not 6am, and many lost thier flights.

If you think:-

7.30am doors open, - Will they open on time, where will you be in that queue.

15 minutes to get over bridge and check out with your card through security.

15 Minutes to find your luggage.

15 > 30 minutes to get through border control.

Then is it taxi, or DCL transfer to MCO call it 60 minutes including either finding taxi or waiting time on bus to its full.

So that's 1 hr 45 mins, lets call that on everything going well eta @ MCO 9am.

Then airport check in, and some close early, then MCO security which is now slow. Walk to gates. Most planes start loading say 30 mins before take off time.

Its tight.

Now say your off at 8.20am like two of my cruises, you have missed your plane.

This wasn't on a disney cruise, but I once sailed Carnival out of Canaveral and went back and forth between booking an 11:30 flight or 2:30 out of MCO. My FIL, who cruises out of Canaveral often, told me that he's experienced more delays there than any other disembarkation port, and encouraged me to book the 2:30 flight. So that's what I did.

Fast forward to disembarkation day...

Ship arrived in port on time, however strong winds forced them to close the gangway. We were stuck on the ship until 11:15 before finally getting off on the lower gangway and not through the terminal. Everyone was panicking! On the phone with airlines trying to work out later flights, etc. Had I booked the 11:30 flight, I would have been one of them.

As it was, we made it to the airport about 12:30, took an hour through security, grabbed a quick lunch and got to the gate with only a few minutes to spare.

I agree with the others, it's just too risky, unless you book full fare and have a backup plan.

As someone who drives the Beachline every day, let me clue you in on something:

About once or twice a week, in the early morning drive hours, (I am on the road about 6:15am) I hear the traffic report say "there is an accident on the Beachline near the 407" or "there is an accident on the Beachline at the offramp to the 520" or "there is an accident on the Beachline near Dallas Road."

Look at the map and find those three spots in relation to your cruise ship and MCO.

Then think about how even 15-20 minutes of traffic snarl or backup could alter your entire flight plan for the day.

Answer your own question.

another vote for very very risky

all my DCL cruises were taken when we lived out of the area and most were 'fly in' .. a 1030 flight is doable in ideal conditions but know this: your stress level is going to be high, climbing every day of the cruise and peaking the night b4 arrival back in PC. In the morning you'll be a basket case needing to pull an OJ Simpson in the airport (reference to the old Hertz commercial). btw there will be 100 families who ALSO booked early and fighting with you to be first.

I booked later flights, every time. Did we have to kill time in the airport, yes, once our flight didn't leave until early AM the next morning. (living in San Fran at the time). we rented a car, did a park for the day, carried the kids on the plane and slept all the way!

Part 2 - I live in the greater Cape Canaveral area now and what's been said about accidents on 528 is spot on. One accident can stop traffic for a hour or more and there is NO decent alternate route.

depending on when your DCL cruise is, contact your congressman and you may be able to score free tickets to the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Center . . . then rent a car for the day.

If you take a late flight out of MCO Hyatt inside the airport has rooms with day rates about $90. You get to use their facilities etc and relax before your flight.

yes and a very sound recommendation I'm sorry I forgot

Last October we had an 11:12am flight out of MCO that we made with about an hour to spare. I will agree with many of the above posters, that it would probably be better to book the later flight. If you are going to try to make the earlier flight, I would recommend the following:

1 - Have a private transfer waiting for you at 7:45 am(we had a limo pick us up at 8 am at the ship and I believe it will be the fastest way to get to the airport)

2 - Eat breakfast at Cabanas in the morning. If you wish to eat in the dining room and are scheduled for the earlier, be sure to talk to you servers the night before so they are able to get your order in quickly.

3 - Carry your own luggage off the ship. There may be issues of finding the luggage and if you have it in your hands, this will not happen.

4 - Last thing is business class seating will almost be mandatory to make your flight. If you have any bags to check, the line at the desk could easily cause you to miss your flight. (We had business class tickets and this saved us time with checking bags)

So as you can see, it is much less stressful to take a later flight and not worry about all of these things.

I often fly standby, so missing a flight isn't the end of the world for me, 10:30am is cutting it close, but its very doable if you take this advise.

1. Make sure you are scheduled to be one of the very first off the ship. You may have to twist some arms.

2. Carry off your bags. Don't even think about putting any in the hallway.

3. If things are not moving fast enough you may be forced to ask others politely to move up in line.

4. Make sure your transportation will be ready early. (Think private limo)

If things work out as planned you will be off the ship before all the crowds and be at the airport by 9am. Your answer yes it's technically possible, but there is a real risk here you will miss your flight if something goes wrong.

I wouldn't do it.. not at all! Too many things can go wrong and there's is nothing worse being on vacation than grumpy attitudes because something did not go as planned. Why not book a flight out the next day and spend a day at the parks? DCL will transport from the ship to WDW and back to the airport. You will be much more rested and the stress level way down. Or, if you don't want to go to the parks, take the suggestion of KSC and enjoy that place. Or you can waste time being the absolute last one off the ship, take tour of the city real quick, grab a leizurely grub and then make your way to the airport to wait for the 8:00pm flight. Who wants to be arguing, cussin n fussin, cursin' n carryin on just to make a flight... can't do it. Too much drama!

Happy travels

my flight leaves mco at 12:30 i hope i make it , And we are using disney bus to the airport , you guys are making me nervous,

You'll be fine and 12:30 or later is the recommended departure time given by DCL. Also keep in mind that you'll be able to head straight to security as you and your bags will be checked in online provided you fill out the required form and are flying an associated airline. My only recommendation is not to linger after breakfast.

Archived