south pacific islands tours handicap

ludynju

hi ludynju on line.. since every where i read cruiser are talking about the old people that are using wheel chairs or scooters. since my wife uses a scooters i really like to know if any body out there that did the hawaai south pacific cruise.. ihey did how did they do tours and what available for the hanicap.

hi ludynju on line.. since every where i read cruiser are talking about the old people that are using wheel chairs or scooters. since my wife uses a scooters i really like to know if any body out there that did the hawaai south pacific cruise.. ihey did how did they do tours and what available for the hanicap.

I think the hardest part of touring the South Pacific in a wheel chair or scooter is the fact most of the islands are a tender port. That is your 1st challange on and off the ship. Then in some of the islands the port is sand. Again a challange with the wheels.

i am about to buy a travel scoot. it only weights about 35 lbs., i didnt plan on any beach tours. i like to see what the south pacific i just like to see what the south pacific is lile mostly sight seeing and shoping. thanks for the feed back.please any body telling me there is a place on holland america about handicap tours . it is useless

I have done this cruise with my disabled son. He cannot walk at all. I suggest that you chose a Vista class ship, we found it much easier to use the tenders than on the older ships. I wouldn't plan on going on any of the ships tours. Perhaps you could go on one if your wife can walk a little, I don't know as we have no experience with that. The ports can be a little difficult as some of them don't have sidewalks and if they do they don't always have curb cuts or accessible lavatories. You have to be brave to be in the street with a scooter! It is easy to get around in Hawaii. We loved going and the South Pacific is beautiful even if you must stay onboard. I guess it just depends on your expectations.

I think the tendering is a secondary issue here.....................yes it can be a huge problem if the seas are rough BUT the real challenge is getting around while on the Islands.

Other than Hawaii, the majority of the Islands are not handicap friendly, uneven sidewalks, no curb cuts and tons of obsticles we are not used to dealing with. Bathrooms are another issue to consider as some are very primitave and in no way are set up for wheelchairs or scooters.

My hubby uses a wheel chair and after many cruises he is content to stay on board because it is just too much hassle to go ashore.

Go and enjoy your cruise - but be aware, there will be several ports that just don't work for handicap.

My opinion.........:)

I have spent the past 30 years cruising in the south Pacific,and have hit everything between Sydney and San Diego, some many times.

Almost all ports except Papeete, and Pago Pago Honolulu, Hilo, Kahalui Kauai and Nuka Hiva are going to be tender ports. And the piers they tender to are many times pretty primitive ( Christmas Island coms to mind) some down right scary with boards missing and they sway with you

I recall almost ALL the tours saying they cant accomidate disabled passengers.

Others are right about the paths and roadways... very primative un even most dirt,and loose rock.. lots of stepping around and over stuff like mud holes and things...sidewalks ...none.

With some exceptions there will not be shopping malls or any shopping for that matter anywhere near the ship or tender pier. Some like Hilo are 2 miles from town in an industrial container port. In Moorea its 3 miles to a small village from the pier.

Hawaii will have the most development but in the real South Pacific, they never heard of ADA access..

If you take the cruise I would reccomend staying on the ship for all but Pago Pago, Papeete, Honolulu, The rest are going to be a challenge.

It is NOT like the Carribe where at the end of the dock /pier you have hundreds of stores.

Cruising in the south pacific is sparse and very 3rd world... they are not as developed as the resort areas in Hawaii, the Carribe, or Europe.

People come here to see raw beauty, and ther is plenty to see from the ship. If you can me happy with that then go for it. Otherwise think it through.

When we went last year, Nuku Hiva was a tender port and we were docked in Raiatea.

As for shopping near the tender dock, Mo'orea had some local crafts and fabrics (pareus) near the dock and Raiatea did, but it was all cobblestone and multi levels. Papeete was the most "user friendly" as far as wheel chairs and scooters went.

I use a mobility scooter full time and found the South Pacific Islands to be nearly impossible for anyone using a wheelchair or scooter. The walkways are nearly impassable and they don't know what the Americans With Disabilities Act is all about because it isn't the US. Hawaii is very accessible, but you will need private tours in order to do anything. In Honolulu, you're not close to shopping or any of the top tourist spots, so you'll need a vehicle that will accommodate the scooter. Can she climb up the usual tour bus stairs? If not, then you most certainly will need a private tour/vehicle in Hawaii. As for the SP islands, I'm sorry but they pretty much won't be accessible at all.

To put it bluntly, Australia and New Zealand are developed, first world countries with relevant legislation requiring accessible facilities. Many of the countries between us here and Hawaii, are quite poor and unlikely to have to ability to provide the facilites that we in the west take for granted.

I think we've summed it up pretty well.

But given the choice of going and soaking up what beauty you can from on board the ship - versus never visiting that part of the world.........I say go ahead and............DO IT !!!

You will still enjoy a fantastic vacation in one of the most beautiful and remote parts of our planet!! :)

I think we've summed it up pretty well.

But given the choice of going and soaking up what beauty you can from on board the ship - versus never visiting that part of the world.........I say go ahead and............DO IT !!!

You will still enjoy a fantastic vacation in one of the most beautiful and remote parts of our planet!! :)

This was the decision we made before we booked a 28 day cruise from Sydney to Tahiti and back - calling at different Pacific ports each way. H. uses a small mobility scooter at home and on cruises. The only ports H did not go ashore for were those where the key atraction was a snorkeling safari - he does not snorkel but I do. He enjoyed his ship (half) days. Papaete was fine - reasonably well curbed and the buses for the tours were very modern with luggage style storage underneath where the scooter fitted nicely once I lowered the steering column. Some polite words in French got the driver's cooperation. At Moorea we tendered ashore and went on an independent boat trip - bought on shore - around the lagoon - I swam with the stingrays - Harry soaked up the scenery, which was spectacular and the sun. We did not take the option of going ashore to a secluded beach on the route but took the boat straight back to the shore, having checked this was possible before we left. They also had cars for rent at the pier - next time!- and other tours on offer. Our scooter fits in a car boot so we do rent cars if we can to avoid coach trips in the smaller ports. Yes the pavements can mean some work around routes but we have always found fellow cruisers will offer to help if the curb is too high for me to manage the transition and in the smaller ports there is less traffic so scooting along the roads is not impossible if you are careful and one of you keeps a sharp look out. At one tender port the scooter attracted a convoy of small boys who vied for the opportunity to take a test ride! I have become quite skilled at taking point and mapping out our route. The only big hassle is if it rains, especially a tropical downpour. We take shelter as soon as possible to protect the scooter and carry a mac style rain coat which we use to cover it in an emergency.

I would agree try it - you do see more from the ship than you do when travelling well off shore and if you can book a verandah cabin - much nicer if you are staying on board - room service and all!

thanks guys for all your info. how about raiatea it is a docked port . is this a nice place to get around. i sure wish we had the time to go this year did you see those prices for the cruise to hawaii and the south pacific. it was like 75.00 a day for s inside amd about 100.00 for a outside i can wat that much a day

Archived