Footware for minor hiking

We will be on a two week cruise of Norway next June and while researching the ports I have determined we will want to do some minor hiking... For example to the lookout above Geiranger Fjord. I really don't want to pack hiking boots and if I can avoid a heavy sneaker/tennis shoe I'd prefer that too. In the past I have worn a heavy tread Mary Jane mesh shoe for walking on trips. Like:

http://www.zappos.com/merrell-mimosa-emme-dusty-olive

Is that sufficient for climbing/hiking to the lookout point? (I'm obviously female)

Thanks for any suggestions or comments.

Which lookout point? If you mean Mount Dalsnibba, that's a 4,800 foot mountain and I should think you might want something better. (And probably a bit more time!) If you mean the octagonal church in Geiranger, that's no distance and it's on the road, so you'd be fine. And no doubt there are other lookout points too - for example, half way up the Eagles' Way, which would involve a lot of road walking. Where do you mean?

I guess I haven't researched enough because I didn't know there were multiple choices. I've been reading reviews and most say things like: "I was directed to a great trail right off the road and up I went finally getting to an overlook that was breathtaking."

Here's an online copy of the Geiranger trail map:

http://www.visitalesund-geiranger.com/Alesund/Turkart/Hiking%20routes%20Geiranger.pdf

I've done trails A, B, C, and D (up to Westerås Gard, Storseter waterfall, the Løsta viewpoint, and the Vesteråsfjellet viewpoint). I believe it's possible to follow the road to the right of Vesterås Gard to get to the famous Flydalsjuvet overlook (which is accessible along the road), and according to Google Maps, it's about 20 minutes along the road, but last time I was in Geiranger I was with my parents who were a bit worried about making the trek back down from Vesterås.

The hike up to Vesterås Gard (A) is a bit rocky, and there are some spots that can be a bit muddy and may require you to find a way around a wet patch. I've done it twice, and I remember it being drier the first time.

When I hiked it in early June, the trail from Vesterås Gard up to Storseter waterfall was covered with sheep droppings, and it was a challenge to keep from stepping in it. We did the trail to Løsta right after that, and this was by far the wettest of the four trails I've hiked. We were hurrying (it took a fast pace to fit Storseter and Løsta both into our half-day port call), and I took a few bad steps. By the time I got back to the ship, I had mud up to my socks, and my shoes were out of commission for the next few days since I had to wash the mud off them and then let them dry in the stateroom shower.

My second call at Geiranger was this past May, and there were a few muddy patches on the way up to Vesterås Gard, but the trail over to Vesteråsfjellet was in good shape (you do cross the farm, so keep an eye out for sheep/llama/goat droppings, but the cart road is wide, so it's easy to walk around them).

What you're comfortable hiking in is a matter of personal preference, so I hate to say what would/wouldn't be a good choice. I definitely prefer to have a stronger sole on the rocks, and I like to use my waterproof hiking shoes in case I hit a particularly bad patch. I have a neutral-colored pair, because I tend to wear them walking around cities as well (they're great in the rain), so it doesn't mean packing an extra pair of shoes.

You probably don't have time to attempt any of them during a port call, but for any of the trails that are marked "demanding" on the map, I would suggest serious hiking boots. Norwegians are serious about trekking, so the descriptions are written for experienced hikers. The lower trails (anything you're likely to do in a port day) would be fine without boots, but anything that isn't described as "easy" is definitely a hiking trail rather than a simple tourist path.

Here's an online copy of the Geiranger trail map:

http://www.visitalesund-geiranger.com/Alesund/Turkart/Hiking%20routes%20Geiranger.pdf

I've done trails A, B, C, and D (up to Westerås Gard, Storseter waterfall, the Løsta viewpoint, and the Vesteråsfjellet viewpoint). I believe it's possible to follow the road to the right of Vesterås Gard to get to the famous Flydalsjuvet overlook (which is accessible along the road), and according to Google Maps, it's about 20 minutes along the road, but last time I was in Geiranger I was with my parents who were a bit worried about making the trek back down from Vesterås.

The hike up to Vesterås Gard (A) is a bit rocky, and there are some spots that can be a bit muddy and may require you to find a way around a wet patch. I've done it twice, and I remember it being drier the first time.

When I hiked it in early June, the trail from Vesterås Gard up to Storseter waterfall was covered with sheep droppings, and it was a challenge to keep from stepping in it. We did the trail to Løsta right after that, and this was by far the wettest of the four trails I've hiked. We were hurrying (it took a fast pace to fit Storseter and Løsta both into our half-day port call), and I took a few bad steps. By the time I got back to the ship, I had mud up to my socks, and my shoes were out of commission for the next few days since I had to wash the mud off them and then let them dry in the stateroom shower.

My second call at Geiranger was this past May, and there were a few muddy patches on the way up to Vesterås Gard, but the trail over to Vesteråsfjellet was in good shape (you do cross the farm, so keep an eye out for sheep/llama/goat droppings, but the cart road is wide, so it's easy to walk around them).

What you're comfortable hiking in is a matter of personal preference, so I hate to say what would/wouldn't be a good choice. I definitely prefer to have a stronger sole on the rocks, and I like to use my waterproof hiking shoes in case I hit a particularly bad patch. I have a neutral-colored pair, because I tend to wear them walking around cities as well (they're great in the rain), so it doesn't mean packing an extra pair of shoes.

You probably don't have time to attempt any of them during a port call, but for any of the trails that are marked "demanding" on the map, I would suggest serious hiking boots. Norwegians are serious about trekking, so the descriptions are written for experienced hikers. The lower trails (anything you're likely to do in a port day) would be fine without boots, but anything that isn't described as "easy" is definitely a hiking trail rather than a simple tourist path.

Wow! Thanks for the link and such a fact filled answer. We will be in port only 6 hours so we will definitely have to do one of the easier trails. The map will be particularly helpful.

Rita

Archived