Jones Act Advise Please

punkincc

Wanted to book a B2B on the Sun; 1st leg pacific coastal L.A. to Vancouver;

2nd leg Alaska roundtrip from Vancouver.

Our TA checked with NCl reservation Dept and was told they cannot book this as it is in violation of Jones Act or possibly PSVA?

Does anyone think this is worth pursuing with NCL? I have read a previous lengthy thread here which seemed to indicate the OP finally got approval, however, the itineraries were different.

Our TA checked with NCl reservation Dept and was told they cannot book this as it is in violation of Jones Act or possibly PSVA?

Does anyone think this is worth pursuing with NCL? I have read a previous lengthy thread here which seemed to indicate the OP finally got approval, however, the itineraries were different.

To do that you would have to do B2B2B. The Sun is doing one way to Whitaker resulting in you going from one US city to another is a violation of the PSVA. The cruise would be fine and worth the fight if you stay on the Sun and take the 7 day back to Vancouver. LA to Vancouver.

To do that you would have to do B2B2B. The Sun is doing one way to Whitaker resulting in you going from one US city to another is a violation of the PSVA. The cruise would be fine and worth the fight if you stay on the Sun and take the 7 day back to Vancouver. LA to Vancouver.

Not sure I understand your response. The 2nd leg is Vancouver, Janeau, Skagway, Ketchikan and Vancouver.

Not sure I understand your response. The 2nd leg is Vancouver, Janeau, Skagway, Ketchikan and Vancouver.

So the first cruise they are doing a closed loop. Most of the season they are doing one way cruises 14 days to get back to Vancouver. You should be able to book it. It meets all the rules of the PSVA. It took me 2 weeks last year to convince a B2B I booked was a violation of the PSVA. The last thing I wanted was for them to wake up a week or two before we were to sail. There are only a couple of people in Miami that understand it.

Insist they have legal or ship operations check it out.

I have seen others here on this board argue and fight about doing the repo cruises in a B2B - I heard of one who tried to to Miami to LA, LA to Vancouver BC and then Vancouver to Seattle via AK. The problem is in some of the definations of the PSVA with regards to a "far foreign port" and some of the exceptions to that rule that allow the closed loop cruises out of Seattle to use Victoria as a foreign port as well as cruises to Bahama and other Carib ports. It also makes an exception for Vancouver as well. NCL is trying to err on the safe side - they really don't want to get into any Govt hassle - even though the fine is levied against the passenger and not the line - it still makes for bad press. That said, you could change ships or cruise lines in the middle and be fine. With NCL I suppose that you could say take the Pearl or Jewel between LA and Vancouver and then take the Sun. You would have to work out the logistics.

punkincc, before you switch to another cruise or line, do what time2cruise1 suggests:

There is no reason to change ships. The cruise he wants to do is perfectly legal. One US city to a foreign port. No need for a distant foreign port. Just make sure everyone represents the cruise as that. They may have it blocked incorrectly in the reservation system and nobody in that department can help.

Not sure I understand your response. The 2nd leg is Vancouver, Janeau, Skagway, Ketchikan and Vancouver.[/quote

This definitely not a violation of the Jones Act or also known as PVSA .

As you are boarding in LA , disembarking in Vancouver is not a violation.

They might be confusing Vancouver Washington with Vancouver BC.

Vancouver WA is an American port . Vancouver BC is definitely not.

I have done LA to Vancouver BC to Whittier AK to Vancouver BC with no problem . Vancouver BC is the staring/ending point of all Alaskan cruise tours . Vancouver BC is definitely not an American port.

Thanks, everyone. Who or what department would I contact to have this checked out further?

Wish I could help with some email addresses but they don't want them published on a public board. Last time I told someone to email me the post was deleted and the email address in my signature as well so I guess that's not permitted. I would start with Crain Gladding's office, VP passenger services and revenue. Try calling the main number and asking his office. tel:305.436.4000

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Thanks, everyone. Who or what department would I contact to have this checked out further?

I sent a couple emails. Don't expect any answers until Monday. Requested 2 things. First confirmation that your cruise is not a violation and second updates to the reservation systems that allow you and others to book this B2B. Lets see what happens.

There is no reason to change ships. The cruise he wants to do is perfectly legal. One US city to a foreign port. No need for a distant foreign port. Just make sure everyone represents the cruise as that. They may have it blocked incorrectly in the reservation system and nobody in that department can help.
I only emphasized what you had said because the poster immediately following your post suggested switching to the Jewel or Pearl between LA and Vancouver and then taking the Sun to Alaska. While reading your first post, I had almost missed your suggestion about contacting the legal department, and I wanted to make sure the OP saw that. You always give great advice!

I got a response from NCL and their expert on the subject made it clear you can book this.

If the guest is trying to combine the SUN 5/06 and 5/13, it’s not a violation, so there shouldn’t be any validations preventing it. However, if he is attempting to combine SUN 5/06, 5/13, and 5/20 (ending in Whittier), it is a violation and is blocked in FSC. The reason for this violation is that the guest would be beginning their cruise in Los Angeles (U.S. port) and ending in Whittier (U.S. port) without visiting a distant foreign port. If I have any of the combinations incorrect, please let me know.

NCL is updating the reservation system to stop blocking this B2B. You should be good to book tomorrow. If they give you any issues have them Contact Crain Gladding's office the Senior VP of Revenue and Passenger Services. Enjoy your B2B

NCL is updating the reservation system to stop blocking this B2B. You should be good to book tomorrow. If they give you any issues have them Contact Crain Gladding's office the Senior VP of Revenue and Passenger Services. Enjoy your B2B

Wow! Thank you so much for your assistance. The assistance you can get on CC is invaluable! Will have to check with the TA to see if the cabin we wanted is still available.

Archived