Phlydude's Valor 5/15 - 5/22 Review

phlydude

And Wilfredo, a Mayan decent Belizian with an education as long as my arm who was very impressive. He took us around the ruins site and explained everything in full detail.

Great review Dennis ! By any chance did you get a last name for "Wilfredo". I had an employee several years ago who fits the description and was from Belize City. Last I heard from him he was doing tours.

Hi I sailed the Valor last week as well. Great ship great time, My experience was pretty much the same. I stayed in the 9A Aft Cabin 8448. Great room and balcony, but be warned if you want to sleep do not get this cabin. Noise from the Lido Deck was not stop and the door right behind the bed goes up to the Lido deck (Crew Only) was noisy, the other rooms in this area said the same. These people were in our group as well. I spoke with the Pursers desk twice but never got a response, however I did not let it ruin my vacaton. My husband won 400 on BlackJack. I only went to one show, the 80's show, it was great. Food good, not exceptional. Chinese, Sushi and the Fish and Chips are really good. Islands were typical if you have been before. Coffee was ok, better in the Jave shop. Martini Bar great. Shops on board, pretty resonable. Room service good, stewards good. Ship is very very clean. Pools ok, looked a little yucky by the end of the day. I think as it is salt water not clorinated. Embarktion, good no problems. Disembartion same. We stayed at the Hilton the day before, very expensive but nice. The bus that Carnival provided to take us to the port was ok, but it took a long time. Next I will cab it over. Hope this helps.

Hmm. The Cayman time reference doesn't seem to add up. If the ship did nothing, I think there would be a 1 hour time diff with the ship being ahead of GC. Anywho, it sounds like the ship time changed Monday night before you hit Belize. When did it change back and/or how many times did it change.

If the ship went back an hour, I think Belize and Roatan would be an hour behind. The ship and GC would be on the same time. If the ship moved the clock ahead after GC and before Cozumel, then Cozumel time would be 1 hour behind, otherwise Coz and the ship would have the same time.

Zydeco, it didn't make sense to me either. All I know is that we set our clocks back before Belize and reset them after Cozumel. When I was in a cab in GC, the taxi was 1 hour ahead of me (which is normal EDT or AST - forgive me if I typed all confusing like because I am still confused over it :confused: )

You are really making me feel old...your wife was born in 1978!! I was still loving disco and playing the Bee Gees day and night...still love them! Thanks for the review! What was included in your Roatan beach break? Was there shade, huts, chairs, etc.

All that was included was transportation to and from, use of facilities and beach chairs. Take an earlier trip to ensure that you can park your chairs under one of the sea grape or coconut palm trees.

Snorkeling equipment was $5 for the mask and snorkel and they keep your S&S card as deposit. I kicked myself for forgetting to pack mine this trip! Snorkeling was decent but for not having to take a boat and being able to see coral reef 500 ft from the water line, what more can you ask for??

We found that the fish will swarm if you grab a handfull of sea grapes or a broken coconut and break off tiny pieces and throw them in the water. The fish will feed on them and jump out of the water at times to grab them. Very cool!!:D

MIA airport is horrible. Fly out of FLL

Couldn't agree more about the MIA airport. We were diverted there on our way to San Juan due to engine trouble earlier in the month. We had to go to another terminal, which was at least a 20 min brisk walk.....no trams or anything! I'll avoid MIA if at all possible in the future. Besides, usually it's cheaper to fly into FLL. Just my .02!!!

Dennis - Welcome back! Great review and sounds like you had an "OK" time ;)

I had a great time but unfortunately, never did make it up top to the funnel deck for you. My camera was on the fritz all week and never has been the same since it's 5 foot fall onto the hard concrete in WDW in Dec that had Andrea crying.:(

He77 of a time to find out the camera doesn't work when you want it to...

And Wilfredo, a Mayan decent Belizian with an education as long as my arm who was very impressive. He took us around the ruins site and explained everything in full detail.

Great review Dennis ! By any chance did you get a last name for "Wilfredo". I had an employee several years ago who fits the description and was from Belize City. Last I heard from him he was doing tours.

I did not get his last name but he spoke with an accent (duh) and wore glasses. He went to the University of Michigan and spoke Russian along with other languages. He visited many ruins sites and kept a binder which with he shared images with the group regarding all his travels. It was a nice personal touch!

Oh yeah, one other thing....

We were in room 6291 which was a "middle" inside room and looks more square that rectangular on the deck layouts. MIL & FIL were in 6317 around the corner across from the balcony rooms on the starboard side. I don't know about this but their room was tiny compared to ours. We had a full bank of closets on the outside wall to the right and the bathroom was on the left. Between the closets and the bed was room for a folding bed. In front of the bed was a small table and chair. The vanity was infront of the bed with all 3 sections together. We had plenty more room in our stateroom compared to MIL & FIL and I actually think they were a little jealous....:D

One other thing (I know, how many one other things can I have?)

The vibration from the props seemed to be a little heavy in the aft. The Washington dining room vibrated every once in a while while we were there whether it was day or night.

Also, the ship was very smooth and only rolled or swayed a tiny bit for just a few seconds. We really didn't hit any bad weather so that helped but the rolling that did occur was gentle and usually while you were in bed.

Zydeco, it didn't make sense to me either. All I know is that we set our clocks back before Belize and reset them after Cozumel. When I was in a cab in GC, the taxi was 1 hour ahead of me (which is normal EDT or AST - forgive me if I typed all confusing like because I am still confused over it :confused: )

I think the taxi didn't know what time zone it was in... :) But anywho, you supplied the info I was looking for. Thanks.

Day 6 - Cozumel

Paradise Beach was our first stop. It was pretty calm there all day. We ate lunch and swam most of the day. We finally left after about 6 hours and never did get the chance to meet Tom.

Heading back to the ship with all the Conquest partiers was a treat, especially when they are rude and obnoxious. But it was fun to see that they left 29 behind!

Andrea and I headed into town and walked from Forum shops down to Punta Langosta. I was glad to see that they widened the sidewalks. Almost bought a pair of gator boots for $225 but they didn't fit. Wan't bad considering the price was $400 originally, and this was after being told that the cruise ship made sure that they took care of their passengers....

Bought some souveniers for home and family and then back to the ship. Watched all the drunks come back and surprisingly, didn't leave a single one behind.

I guess I am to assume that the Conquest is known for it's partiers as well as rude people?? Something to look forward to on my upcoming Conquest cruise:)

Let's just say that I'm sure there were rude people on each cruise but the partiers were definitely on the Conquest. Public urination was in full force in the duty free shop and the line of drunks on the Conquest was longer than those coming back to the Valor (not to say there weren't any drunks on the Valor, they just had more time to sober up!)

I stayed in the 9A Aft Cabin 8448. Great room and balcony, but be warned if you want to sleep do not get this cabin. Noise from the Lido Deck was not stop and the door right behind the bed goes up to the Lido deck (Crew Only) was noisy, the other rooms in this area said the same.

Sorry to hear that you had noise problems with this cabin. I had originally booked this same cabin, but after reading posts of possible noise from the Lido deck a switched and moved down to the Empress Deck cabin 7445. I guess I made the right decision.

Lynne

Let's just say that I'm sure there were rude people on each cruise but the partiers were definitely on the Conquest. Public urination was in full force in the duty free shop and the line of drunks on the Conquest was longer than those coming back to the Valor (not to say there weren't any drunks on the Valor, they just had more time to sober up!)

I just had to laugh because someone on another thread mentioned that the Conquest was MORE of a party ship than any of the others because it starts in New Orleans which is a party town. It never really occured to me that it could be true until I read your review.. It may just be the truth, I don't know as I have only sailed out of Galveston which is full of friendly Texans!!

I love to read reviews on all of the Conquest class ships. Thanks for yours!

Good review Dennis!.....and yes Stacy is right.....we know how to party in TX but I can't wait to hear what she thinks of the Conquest......it's a BIGGER ship of partying!......MAN, if it went out of Galveston to get all our Texans on......well.....that would just be AWESOME!:D

Good review Dennis!.....and yes Stacy is right.....we know how to party in TX but I can't wait to hear what she thinks of the Conquest......it's a BIGGER ship of partying!......MAN, if it went out of Galveston to get all our Texans on......well.....that would just be AWESOME!:D

Randy we better watch it or those lurkers from other boards will be able to confirm that Carnival is nothing but a drunken party with walmart shopping, trailer park living, jeans wearing people who relieve themselves in public... Now they have it in writing:). I will let you know what I think of the Conquest but it can't be nearly as fun as the Elation!! I will miss the Texans!

Randy we better watch it or those lurkers from other boards will be able to confirm that Carnival is nothing but a drunken party with walmart shopping, trailer park living, jeans wearing people who relieve themselves in public... Now they have it in writing:). I will let you know what I think of the Conquest but it can't be nearly as fun as the Elation!! I will miss the Texans!

Let's just say that the gals were just as guilty as the guys relieving themselves in the duty free shop....all youngin's though...

I have no problem with any of this except for relieving themselves in public:eek:

Being that i am female(its easier for the guys):D

Originally from the Bridesburg section and now live in Delaware

Bridesburg, down the road from me. We hail from Wissinoming. St Bart's. Delaware is a change. Most of the my neighborhood (including my kids) have crossed the river to NJ.

thanks for a great review.

Archived