Room service

tiffanywilliams

Does room service cost any extra money?

My kids are wanting to order on the ship and I didn't know if it cost xtra.

This is our first cruise and I am very nervous about the whole thing, it's just soo much to remember and to learn, we are going to the keys and nassau, does anyone have any great info for first timers? we leave monday.

We don't have alot of extra money to spend.

We are leaving out of Jacksonville on the fascination.

ok so the tip money they charge per person does not include room service so I need to tip them?

I feel like I am gonna forget to do something or am gonna get lost at one of the ports etc. just very nervous! :o

We are leaving out of Jacksonville on the fascination.

ok so the tip money they charge per person does not include room service so I need to tip them?

I feel like I am gonna forget to do something or am gonna get lost at one of the ports etc. just very nervous! :o

Try not to be nervous, but do research and plan as much as you can.

You will stay on Florida time even when down in Nassau, so don't change your watch.......

When you get on the ship, turn your cell phone off and leave it in the safe. Your data plan or minutes plan has NO significance on the ship. Cell phone usage on the ship is through cellular at sea and costs $2.49 per minute regardless of provider. Text's are generally .50 each.

You won't be able to get to your cabin until around 1:30, so when you get to the ship (I usually arrive at the pier around 10:30 regardless of what they suggest) and go to the Lido (deck 9) buffet for lunch and to relax until the cabins are ready.

You leave your big luggage with a porter (make sure each has a luggage tag) and tip him a few dollars, like you would at the airport. I always take a change of cloths and for the kids perhaps a bathing suit, so they can swim if the pools are already open. Also, your luggage may not be delivered to your cabin until after dinner, so a change of cloths is good to have.

The biggest issue you will likely encounter is getting back on the ship in Nassau......you have to be back on 1/2 hour before the ship sails, but it's a long walk from the terminal building to the ship, so I always shoot for being back ON the ship 1 hour before sail time.

If you are worried about getting lost or being late go ahead and this time book ship excursions...they will keep everything organized and get you back on time.

If your kids are going to do Camp Carnival, be sure to go to orientation the 1st night after you set sail. The times will be in the Fun Times newpaper that is in your cabin or you can pick up at any bar.

If you decide to purchase the Bottomless Bubbles card and wait until after the ship sails you won't have to pay sales tax.

Thank you all for all the tips and suggestions, I had planned on using my cell phone for pictures but I won't do that now.

I will make sure to take plenty of dollar bills as well for tipping.

as far as the luggage tag goes I printed them out last night and my tags dont fit into my plastic tag. How do we attach it to the suitcase without it falling off?

Thank you all for all the tips and suggestions, I had planned on using my cell phone for pictures but I won't do that now.

I will make sure to take plenty of dollar bills as well for tipping.

as far as the luggage tag goes I printed them out last night and my tags dont fit into my plastic tag. How do we attach it to the suitcase without it falling off?

If you have a smart phone you can still use it for pics....set it to airplane mode, shut off Bluetooth, gps, wifi, etc and it will not rack up any charges

The luggage tags are ment to be folded along the dotted lines, in a tri-fold kind of thing. After the tri-fold, I run the tag through the suitcase handle, fold it on itself, and staple on the end and a couple places along the sides. It's surprising how sturdy they are once folded and attached this way.

I also tape the whole tag with clear packing tape just to be on the safe side.

OP, I believe on the bottom of the lst page of the Fun Times on port days they have a tear off info section that has the phone # and/or address of a CCL rep to call or visit if you have a problem in port. I can't remember exactly. I have actually never used it, but look for it.

Also, when you debark, they usually give you a map of the area (at the gangway) and I think that info is on that too. Don't forget to note what time you are supposed to be on board and also don't forget to use SHIP'S TIME and NOT ISLAND TIME. :eek:

Key West is a fun place just to walk around and look in the shops, etc. Have the kids look for the chickens/roosters?? walking around. You can also get a key lime pie on a stick dipped in chocolate. A nice Key West treat.

There is a trolley tour that takes you all around. It is about $30 for adults. I know there are coupons online somewhere. We used one.

There is also the Mel Fisher Maritime museum. It is Adult: $12.50 Students: $10.50 Children: $6.25. We were going to do this last time we were in Key West but it was closed down the day we were there due to an electrical outage or flood or something. They have shipwreck artifacts and some gold. http://www.melfisher.org/index.htm

Maggie

One suggestion with the luggage tags, we ussually print extra and put two on each bag on different areas of the luggage. We had one cruise where a tag was torn off and we had to go to guest services to find our bag. HAVE A GREAT CRUISE.

Good idea. ;) I also put a copy of one IN the luggage. And also any hotel/air info if applicable.

They don't charge tip. You are thinking of gratuity for drinks, I think. Room service is free. Bring some $1 bills to tip the room service delivery guy. Have a great cruise! :D

I think when she said the tips they charge don't include room service she meant the $11.50pp per day they charge didn't include the room service guy.

Just a guess. I don't want the nice woman to think there will be no tips charged.:)

Bill

I don't know how old your kids are but we were on a cruise with my sisters family and her boys 8 and 11 ordered cookies and milk every night before bed for their bedtime snack from room service. They loved handing over a couple $1's in exchange for their treats. Btw, we found staff on the Fascination to be great and the food was very good especially in the MDR, enjoy your cruise you'll love it.

Speaking of tips, you'll want to tip the porter when you arrive at the terminal. He'll take your bags from you then point you on your way to the terminal and check-in. We've always tipped $2 a bag, but I think we're a bit generous and $1 a bag would be sufficient.

Same with when you get off the boat. You'll find your bags in the terminal, then you can get a porter to take them to the curb for you. Bringing $20 in ones for tips should cover it.

Just remember that there ARE things that are chargeable to your sign and sail card, including soft drinks and any alcohol. Does anyone know if juices and milk are free in the MDR?

I'm excited for you! I think you're going to have a great time and please don't forget to come back and tell us all how it went. Enjoy!

Tip the porters? they make $30 something per hour-more than I make after 25 years as an airline mechanic-and no one tips me to make sure there plane is safe. I tip them-NOT

I also tape the whole tag with clear packing tape just to be on the safe side.

OP, I believe on the bottom of the lst page of the Fun Times on port days they have a tear off info section that has the phone # and/or address of a CCL rep to call or visit if you have a problem in port. I can't remember exactly. I have actually never used it, but look for it.

I always take a copy of the fun times with me and yes on the bottom of the front page is the port agents name and telephone number if you have a problem while on shore.....they should be your 1st call.......rarely happens (never in 27 cruises for us), but it's nice to have it handy.

You also need to take both your S&S card and a photo id off the ship with you. The port security will make you show both to get back on the ship.

For whatever reason I was charged $5.00 for room service on the Triumph in September. I never asked about it.... just assumed it was because I ordered juice which I am still not clear if they charge for juice or not. :(

Juices are on the room service menu, so I can't imagine what you would have been charged for unless there was a soda used from the wet bar or ordered along with room service.

I would have questioned the charge......

Ya'll are so helpful! Thank you! :D

Is there a place to do laundry?

I am wondering if I should get there early, I know they said our rooms will not be ready and we have to carry our luggage around the ship.

this seems like a huge inconvenience and not quite sure what to do......what do you guys normally do?

Juices and milk are free in MDR and lido deck. They will change to lemonade on lido after mid-day. Hot chocolate and soft-serve ice cream are also free for kids.

If you have a fridge in your cabin you can grab an extra carton of Milk and some cookies for a mid day snack.

Check out this Free walking tour..Really cool and very popular. Print out map and follow and have a great time. Click on walking tour.

http://www.bahamas-treasures.com/

Thx Express Man for sharing this guide. Even though I'm not going to Nassau on my upcoming trip, I save this link in my favorite. I know it will come in handy for next year. Its seems fairly easy.

Archived