Hard of Hearing

FAD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry I am late-late in replying. From 1995 to 2012 we have been on eight RC, Princess & Carnival cruises. In 2008 the Crown Princess and in 2010 the Carnival Legend. None of the ALD in the any of the theaters has worked for me- nonexistent, equipment doesn’t work, signal too weak, too much static, etc,etc..

I just thought there might be some a new ship that has a wonderful ALD in the theaters.

If there isn't i guess i'll try HAL..

oh yes it would be so nice just to pick up the receiver and be able to actually hear the show. I've had some luck with Princess and HAL but it does vary from ship to ship and also if the sound engineers give a damn about these systems. Some are very knowledgeable and helpful and others seem to be hardly aware that the showrooms actually have such a system.

Let us know if you have any good experiences. It beats me why other hard of hearing passengers don't complain. Given the average age on most cruises plus the large numbers of passengers with hearing aids, you'd think the cruise lines would be eager to help. Guess it's the sqeaky wheel that gets a listening system that actually works properly.

• 2 months later...
Last cruise was 2010 and like all the previous ones I could not hear 95% of the entertainment acts.

Anything new in the area of Assisive Listening Devices at the shows?

I'm interested in this too! Our last cruise was also 2010 on Celebrity. My sister, a travel agent, talked to the cruise line to make sure that I was accommodated. Wow, that was quite a mess. The front desk knew nothing about any ALD's and when I persisted, they made many phone calls and finally told me the theater would have the device. No one there knew a thing but they made sure I could sit in the front row. NOT THE SAME. So the next night, I again did the same things and voila! This time, the theater had an FM system for me to use, which was given to me by the sound booth.

We cruise again with Celebrity in June and I've again gone through all the necessary paperwork to ensure I get accommodations, but I'm really wondering if I will. We shall see!

With over 35 million Americans (not to mention those from other countries), you would think the cruise lines would be more on the ball with this, but like white rose said - maybe we just need more squeaky wheels :)

~ Shari

Archived