Royal Princess - Aft Cabins...........

nycruise

In the picture below, I notice a space directly in the middle, between the six cabins on the Dolphine Deck. It looks like it may house mechinicals or be a vent. Wondering if anyone knows what it is and might it be noisy on the balcony or in the cabin??

RoyalPrincessAftBalconies.jpg.98a43a63aa52d115065268add2c4b2fa.jpg

I am the person who created the picture you posted (or at least added the "guides"), as I am a little obsessed with these aft balcony cabins on the Royal Princess. And, while I agree with Pam that there is no way to know for certain until she's completed, I do know that many people here on CC have complained about vents in approximately that same location on the Grand Class ships. Some say the vents on the Grand Class ships emit both noise and noxious odors. For this very reason, we chose a cabin as far away from this center area as possible, just in case. It may prove to be nothing but, on the other hand, one fundamental tenet of design theory - especially for vessels with limited space - is that there should be no "dead space"; that is, no space that does not serve some functional purpose. Thus, while it is again speculation, I highly doubt the area you have identified will merely be left empty; something is likely to be there, whether it be a vent or something else. We'll see if we can confirm what's actually there once we're aboard.

I do know that many people here on CC have complained about vents in approximately that same location on the Grand Class ships. Some say the vents on the Grand Class ships emit both noise and noxious odors.

Are the noise and odors in the room or only on the balcony??

I am the person who created the picture you posted (or at least added the "guides"), as I am a little obsessed with these aft balcony cabins on the Royal Princess.
Since the photo you uploaded is so small, it might also be a good idea to look at the large detailed photos of these areas on the Royal Princess Construction Photos at

Are the noise and odors in the room or only on the balcony??

If memory serves, people have reported noise in both the room and balcony, and odor on the balcony that would infiltrate the room if the balcony sliding door were opened. If you do a search on here, I'm sure you'll come up with several threads on this topic. But I do want to re-emphasize Pam's point that we do not know for sure this same issue will affect the Royal Princess.

Since the photo you uploaded is so small, it might also be a good idea to look at the large detailed photos of these areas on the Royal Princess Construction Photos at

Good point. Also, my original posting of the photo was much larger; that might help, as well.

Thanks for the input.

My agent says that aft cabins are highly sought after, and the difference in price between regular balconies and aft is minimal, so I guess well take a chance on the aft, since we have never been in one.

The Royal will be sailing for several months before we board, so I'll keep an eye out for any problems reported and than change cabins or cancel if another cabin isn't available.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the input.

My agent says that aft cabins are highly sought after, and the difference in price between regular balconies and aft is minimal, so I guess well take a chance on the aft, since we have never been in one.

The Royal will be sailing for several months before we board, so I'll keep an eye out for any problems reported and than change cabins or cancel if another cabin isn't available.

Thanks again.

Sounds like a good plan. Happy cruising! :)

And, not to beat a dead horse, but I happened to stumble across a link I'd saved to this CruiseCritic thread discussing what has been dubbed by some "the dreaded vent" issue, so I thought I'd post a link.

The dreaded vent.

Again, it's sheer speculation, but I cannot help but notice the similarity between the space visible in the pictures of the vent area on the Grand Class ships and the similar space between the aft balcony cabins on the Royal Princess.

Archived