Spray Tan

Anybody experienced the "spray tan", if so how does it work and does it look fake?

Are there two kinds, mystic and something else? If so, which is the better of the two? Thanks for your help everybody. Going to a wedding and need a quick tan.

My wife had it done before a gala formal event a month ago. It looked good. They basically put you naked or in a small bikini in a machine and the machine sprays you down. This is with the mystic tan. It pretty much washes off after a couple of showers. The other one is done by spas and is pretty much a person spraying you. Generally it is more expensive and no better.

jc

I've had the mystic tan done twice and it's worked well for me. You don't notice it straight away but it darkens after a couple of hours. I've only had one treatment done just before cruising, however, I think you can also get done over a week or so and go with a darker formulae each time.

Frances

I had it done last year. I hated it. Someone sprayed me all over. I felt really sticky for the rest of the day. It rubbed off on my clothing and my bed clothes. They said it would last a week and I dont think it lasted 3 days. It came of my feet first where my shoes and socks ended. That looked terrific. It didn't stain my clothing permanently. I had it done at a very reputable place, I did not pay a discount price. I would never have it done again before a cruise. I guess if you're going out for the evening or one day it would be OK. It's not going to help you build any resistance to the sun. It is really no different than the self tanners that you buy at the drug store with a little less chance of streaking.

My daughter is dark haired and very fair skinned...she hated Mystic. She also did the salon tan where they spray you...she hated that, too.

I am darker skinned and have had a good result with Mystic.

I've found the Walgreen's brand spray-on self tanner to work as well as Mystic, if you're careful in application. Better on me than the higher priced brands...

Does it have an odor? I tried the new Jergen's "Natural Glow" tanner, and was not happy with the smell it left on my skin.

I get it done every week and it is sprayed on by a person and leaves no smell.Wait 5 hours or longer and put baby oil on before you bath and don't sweat it causes it to run the first couple of hours. Moisturise you skin the night before and make sure they don't miss any spots. You don't see it right away but in a few hours it darkens .I love it.

Tj

I did the mystic a few weeks ago before a surprise trip from my DH to Vegas for our 5th anniversary-and it was great! lasted about a week and you need to exfoliate well before you go and to moisturize well after it's done every day-it extends it. I will be doing it again tomorrow and on saturday to get extra dark-we leave on sunday for the voyager-my skin felt so much better doing this than actually tanning-no itchiness and dryness-and it looked very real:)

I had it sprayed on by a salon and liked the look. As mentioned before, exfoliate, moisturize and continue with more lotion/oil every day. It lasts longer. However, do not go into salt water. It will wash off very blotchy, really bad effect. I asked specifically, because it was before a cruise. It was fine in the shower & even the hotel pool, but once in the ocean, it was gone (just not all at the sme time, which made it worse.)

I've done the airbrushed tan by a salon as well...it looked very even and real...no streaks or "orangy" color. My only problem with the Mystic tan is that if you don't jump around like a banshee the spray does not hit you evenly. The salon way allows another person spray the tan onto you and can see if any spots have been missed.

Never done it myself, but a girl at work did the "booth" kind and it looked great on her. She has dark skin to begin with.

My MIL did the kind where the person sprays you. She ended up looking like a rotting orange. It was especially bad around her "wrinkly" knee area.

I guess I'm posting to let you know it appears the success of these products depend a little on your skin type and natural coloring. If I'd never done it before, you might want to try it a month or so before you really need it. That way you can see how your skin reacts and you don't arrive onboard or at a wedding etc looking unnatural.

Never done it myself, but a girl at work did the "booth" kind and it looked great on her. She has dark skin to begin with.

My MIL did the kind where the person sprays you. She ended up looking like a rotting orange. It was especially bad around her "wrinkly" knee area.

I guess I'm posting to let you know it appears the success of these products depend a little on your skin type and natural coloring. If I'd never done it before, you might want to try it a month or so before you really need it. That way you can see how your skin reacts and you don't arrive onboard or at a wedding etc looking unnatural.

I learned a trick that has worked for me if it starts to come off in one place use nail polish remover to spread it around again . You can even take it off in areas with it.But use baby oil the gel kind ever time you go to sleep.It makes it last longer.

Tj

I've done both...mystic is a more private and I felt more comfortable. I've bought all the "mystic extenders lotions" and it only last about 3 days for me. I think it depends on the person but I always get it done the day before the cruise (before my flight).

Trick is exfoliate, lotion and apply lotion on the extra dry areas just prior to getting in booth (knees, elbows, cuticles etc.), extra lotion afterwards and any heavy spots can be corrected by lightly wiping with antibacterial wipes! I use the walgreen brand at home and the wipes come in handy when applied unevenly.

I'm old-fashioned, I just use the regular self-tanning spray (Neutrogena, have used it for YEARS) and only on my legs...works great. :) You do need to exfoliate first, most definitely. And wait at least an hour after application before getting wet. Moisturize often (beginning a few hours after application).

Any spa treatment that involves a salt/seaweed rub or any other exfoliation will instantly remove your tan, be warned! :p

Oh, and to fix any tanning "mistakes" you can use hydrogen peroxide, it takes it right off.

I have seen folks who have done the Mystic Tan or the airbrush tan, and they looked very natural...I guess it's just a matter of following the procedures and knowing the tricks. :)

I had it done before a trip(IT WAS WINTER) and a day afterwards my DH asked me why I was orange, I did all the things I was supposed to do but it still turned me orangish....so maybe you should get it done once- about a month before you go just in case. I'll get my tan the old fashion way!!!:cool:

Archived