Ships to replace fantasy Class

amscene1

Adding the 2.0 allows the ships to compete somewhat with more modern ships but it also makes them more attractive to potential buyers for these smaller, unable to afford new ships cruise companies.

If the ships have no buyers then its off to India ot other breaker scrapyards.

Considering the economy its simply a good business move that is not really all that costly to carnival to add these items. Do not assume though that means carnival will run them for another 10 years. Although they might particually if the economy slumps in a major way...again.

These ships are strategically placed to make money.

As long as these ships are placed in markets where they don't have competition (or at least competition with nicer ships), they'll be around for a long time.

Look at where the Fantasy class ships are deployed:

• Fascination - Jacksonville (NO other ships)
  • Fantasy - Charleston (NO other ships)
  • Elation - New Orleans (NO other ships in the 4/5 day market)
  • Imagination - Miami (competes with similarly sized Majesty of the Seas)
  • Paradise - Tampa (competes with the bigger/nicer Jewel of the Seas, BUT it's only seasonally)
  • Sensation - Pt. Canaveral (competes with similarly sized Monarch of the Seas, and directly with the Disney ships, BUT it's priced considerably cheaper)
  • Ecstasy - Pt. Canaveral (competes directly with the new Disney ships, BUT it's priced considerably cheaper)

If other cruise lines start placing more competition with newer and nicer ships that are similarly priced, we'll see a push towards replacements. In the meantime, these ships do what Carnival wants them to do: deliver an affordable cruise vacation to millions of passengers every year.

I agree with the majority of this. From Carnival's perspective they only need to do enough to encourage people to keep sailing from these ports. Larger ships can either not make it in these ports or they would not sail full without significant discounts (i.e. Mobile).

For me the biggest detraction of the Fantasy class is the lack of open space lower on the ship. For that reason alone I booked the Jewel this past spring at a higher cost. However, I would not always be willing to spend the extra money. Carnival has the market cornered on short, inexpensive cruises from convenient ports. Like others have said I bet we'll see the Fantasy class around for at least another 10 years.

A while back there was a rumor that Carnival was working on a design for a new ship that was closer in size to the Spirit class, I would love to see an updated version rather than another floor added to the Destiney/Freedom/Dream class.

These ships are strategically placed to make money.

As long as these ships are placed in markets where they don't have competition (or at least competition with nicer ships), they'll be around for a long time.

Look at where the Fantasy class ships are deployed:

• Fascination - Jacksonville (NO other ships)
  • Fantasy - Charleston (NO other ships)
  • Elation - New Orleans (NO other ships in the 4/5 day market)
  • Imagination - Miami (competes with similarly sized Majesty of the Seas)
  • Paradise - Tampa (competes with the bigger/nicer Jewel of the Seas, BUT it's only seasonally)
  • Sensation - Pt. Canaveral (competes with similarly sized Monarch of the Seas, and directly with the Disney ships, BUT it's priced considerably cheaper)
  • Ecstasy - Pt. Canaveral (competes directly with the new Disney ships, BUT it's priced considerably cheaper)

If other cruise lines start placing more competition with newer and nicer ships that are similarly priced, we'll see a push towards replacements. In the meantime, these ships do what Carnival wants them to do: deliver an affordable cruise vacation to millions of passengers every year.

It looks like the 2.0 enhancements Have been green lighted for the fantasy class ships Elation and paridise only. One of two reasons I believe. 1. They are the two newest of the class 2. They are the only two that are fitted with the newer Azipod propulsion system. That being said, carnival has to be thinking of replacing the remaining 6 ships. (Fantasy, extasy, sensation, fascination, inspiration and imagination)

The former holiday class ships sailed 18, 21 and 24 years with carnival and the fantasy will be pushing 23 next year and the 5 others are right behind it. If I had to bet, I'm sure there is some big news coming soon about the future of these ships.

Don't get me wrong I have sailed imagination 7 times and it is one of my favorite ships. But I think that carnival has to do something here as this class ages. Any body else's thoughts or comments will be well appretiated!

Here's an example of how it could happen any time, RCCL Monarch of the seas was "Retrofitted in 2005 and again in 2011 with new features such as enhanced staterooms, public areas, Compass Deli, Jade, addition of rock walls, re-painted pool floors, new carpeting and more spaces enhanced for guest comfort. (wikipedia)

She is A 21-22 Year old ship, here is news about here being phased out:

"She will leave the fleet in 2013, she will transfer to pullmantur cruises." (wikipedia)

So this is completely possible, this means RCCL Majesty of the seas will likely follow a Year later.

These Small RCCL Ships are direct 3-4 night competitors of Carnivals. This Means they will Bring in a newer, bigger replacement ship to compete against in these to ports.

PORT CANAVERAL: Monarch of the seas = Carnival Sensation

PORT OF MIAMI: Majesty of the Seas = Carnival Imagination

So If and when these RCCL Ships are Phased Out, How will Carnival compete, We know RCCL will just put a newer ship in there at the same competitive prices.

FURTHER EXAMPLE:

RCCL ENCHANTMENT OF THE SEAS

In 2005, a 74-foot (23 m) midsection was added to Enchantment of the Seas, allowing for the addition of a pool, suspension bridges, specialty restaurants, additional staterooms, and expanded areas for guest comfort.Will replace Monarch Of The Seas when she transfers to Pullmantur Cruises on April 1st 2013 Port Canaveral,Florida after Monarch Of The Seas transfer.(wikipedia)

Excellent post. I agree COMPLETELY. The comments about the economy running the show these days is exactly the reason they are REFURBING older ships rather than selling them and building newer ones.

The number of ports is essentially the same and will remain so. The only way to INCREASE participation in cruising for the cruiselines is to BUILD BIGGER SHIPS. But the controlling factor RIGHT NOW is the HIGH COST of NEW SHIPS with a temporary decline in DEMAND causing the lower cabin pricing we see today.

Right on the money. Carnival (and I mean all Carnival cruise line holdings, such as HAL, Cunard, Princess, etc.) are facing tough economic times. Concordia did not help Carnival either.

Not everyone needs or wants the "largest, latest and greatest". I used to have a great time on the old 20,000 GRT Regal Empress. Only SOLAS killed her off after 56 years!

If built well and maintained properly, ships can last a long time. Witness QE2. Some 40 years in service, and it was only the SOLAS 2010 regulations that caused her to be sold and laid up.

You have to squeeze every dollar you can from your fleet. Sure, sometimes you transfer a ship to another cruise line you own, or, you update the ship, maybe even stretch it; sometimes that is more cost effective. So, it comes down to: "Do we build a new ship for $600 million, or spend $100 million to refurbish an older ship.

we love the fantasy class ships as well but a bit partial to the spirit class (a bit bigger but not much more people)

we just got off the Ecstatsy and and thought the ship was in great condition. i did hear a rumor while on board that carnival was planning to scrap the ecstasy soon but haven't been able to find any info on it. did look at the schedule for the ecstasy and it is sailing well into 2013. so the person who told me this (not a carnival person) is wrong i am real happy to say. i would go on the ecstasy agian tomorrow if i could.

The problem that I see with Carnival just refurbishing old ships and not building new ones is that, in the meantime, their biggest competitors (RCI and NCL) ARE building new and innovative ships. So in due time, when the economy does improve and Carnival does decide to build new ships, they may find themselves behind the other cruise lines with a fleet of old, antiquated ships, at least for a few years.

Carnival ships may become like Howard Johnson hotels, old and antiquated, and behind the times and other forward thinking hotel chains.

They sent Inspiration to west coast without 2.0 upgrades, just waterworks. Miracle is coming here next year, without 2.0. Splendor will get 2.0 after going East. Paradise will probably be upgraded soon, now that it's East. See a pattern here?

Amen..we sure got the betwixt and between staff on Spirit before their move..we need a new ship that is popular or refurb new..Guess we grew into Splendor and made it so...

They recently had FL resident at $149 for an inside on the Imagniation. Those rates alone can keep it filled with Fl residents and the occasional tourist

Keeping it filled isn't the main objective. It's keeping it profitable. Now, surely, a full ship is more profitable then one with empty cabins, but the fact that it's full doesn't guarantee they are making money at $149 for inside. I'm in no position to judge the profitability other than to say they wouldn't keep doing it forever if they were losing money.

Keeping it filled isn't the main objective. It's keeping it profitable. Now, surely, a full ship is more profitable then one with empty cabins, but the fact that it's full doesn't guarantee they are making money at $149 for inside. I'm in no position to judge the profitability other than to say they wouldn't keep doing it forever if they were losing money.

Don't forget that these ships are either based in ports with not a lot of other options, so they attract more new cruisers, who typically spend more on the ship (they don't know how to bring their own alcohol, they buy ship excursions, they want a lot of souvenirs, they like to gamble, and otherwise are more free spending than more experienced cruisers). Or they run short itineraries that attract more of a quick getaway party crowd, which also increases onboard spending. And many of the second group may also fit the first group description as well.

Not gonna lie, the ridiculousness of the connection between 2.0 and Azipod propulsion was pretty funny.

20+ years old is infantile in the lifespan of oceangoing vessels. A few notables still in service; USS Enterprise (1961), MS Athena-formerly the Stockholm-(1941), SS Nomadic-one of Titanic's passenger tenders-(1911)

I for one would have to say The Spirit Class is our favorite i would like to see more of those bulit. We just came off The Dream did not like it so much could you imagine what they could do with, oh say The Miracle if it was bulit know.

Archived