YA clothing suggestions?

Hey all!

I'm in my early twenties and going on my first cruise (ever) with my parents and brother, and as i like to pack waaay in advance for trips, i've started thinking about what to wear/bring for our july cruise to the baltic. :) I was wondering if any other 20-somethings out there (or at heart;))could help me out and give suggestions as to what they wore (or just some definate DONT's?)

Thanks!!

Cruisen Chica,

Not a 20 yr. old but have a 19 yr. old DD and help her shop for a two week land based vacation to France. She did a great job choosing some basic pieces and then building her wardrobe. They had a NO JEANS rule, as this was a 'school run trip' but that never bothered her. She took lots of mix & match pieces that worked together. Black, white, ivory skirts, slacks, jackets & variety of tops to dress up and dress more casual. She took two outfits for each day because dinner was always rather semi-formal. Everything fit into one piece of luggage and did not exceed the wt. limit (until she returned). Yes, she over packed but it turned out to be the hottest summer on recorded history for over 100 yrs. and she never spent a minute at the laundramat. How many days is your cruise?

The Baltic can be one of the toughest places to pack for. I went one year and it was the hottest in 50 years, and I packed for cooler weather. I went back the very next year and it was very cool and very rainy---it rained for 12 of the 14 days and never got out of the 60's.

Layers are the best bet for the Baltic. Comfortable shoes for walking tours, lightweight jacket or sweater if it gets cool, walking shorts---capris---cotton slacks and tops are the best. If you're going to be touring any churches, you cannot wear shorts or sleeveless tops of any kind and that is true for the men also. Don't forget the bathing suit and coverup.

You got great advice from two of the others. I'll just add, make sure you bring a rain jacket - one with a hood would be great becsue it'll save you from having to bring an umbrella too.

Yes, Baltic can have tremendous temperature swings. I layered. Wore a tank top, a button down top and then a light sweater too. That way, I was never cold and could take off layers and be down to a tank top if it got hot in the afternoon.

Have a great trip! And save some money to buy yourself some amber jewelry for yourself and for holiday gifts for friends! :)

Jane

Thanks! Those are definately some good ideas...I like to pack light, but i guess this time around i'll have to bring lots of layers to be prepared for anything;)

I know nice jeans are pretty much a no-go for dinner, (even for casual dinners too, i assume?) but i heard that some people wear them for the evening shows and whatnot. Is that okay? Also would jeans (im talking about nice jeans, sans holes, no freyed hems, etc) be okay for just walking aorund the ship during the day and during tours?

Also, what is the general take on miniskirts on cruises? (i.e would a shorter skirt be acceptable for a casual or even semi-casual dinner?)

thanks so much!

Juicy sweats and tees by day.

Find a sale at a trendy store like forever 21 and get some cheap party dress's, skirts for eve. Don't forget a shawl for eve.

1 pair silver strapy sandles for eve, they go with everything.

Just be 20 and have fun!

Thanks! Those are definately some good ideas...I like to pack light, but i guess this time around i'll have to bring lots of layers to be prepared for anything;)

I know nice jeans are pretty much a no-go for dinner, (even for casual dinners too, i assume?) but i heard that some people wear them for the evening shows and whatnot. Is that okay? Also would jeans (im talking about nice jeans, sans holes, no freyed hems, etc) be okay for just walking aorund the ship during the day and during tours?

Also, what is the general take on miniskirts on cruises? (i.e would a shorter skirt be acceptable for a casual or even semi-casual dinner?)

thanks so much!

Cruiselines prefer no jeans in the evenings. They're great for daytime on the ship and your excursions. Miniskirts are fine too for casual/semicasual dinners, depending on what you wear them with. And yes, definitely bring a shawl for the dining room in the evening if you have a tendency to be chilly. On my Baltic cruise last year, I brought two pashimina shawls and wore them during the day as a scarf and then in the evening as a shawl.

Jane

Crusin Chica,

Feel your excitement and anticipation for this cruise! I was 19 yrs. old when I took my first cruise 30 years ago with three girl friends. What a blast we had on HAL's Rotterdam! We were all about the same size so we even mixed & matched all our clothing.

lad that Jane added to this thread-she's a terrific "fashion consultant" on the fashion thread as she always has great ideas. Another suggestion, plan your wardrobe so that you don't have to take so many pairs of shoes. I just took 10 pairs on an 12 day cruise! We didn't fly so the amount of luggage was not a problem. Have fun planning & keep us posted on your shopping bargins!

• 2 weeks later...

Victoria's Secret is having their semi annual sale, and its not just underwear, but tops and everything else too, of course:)

I think this would be kind of cute-to go over a tank top/skirt or something:

http://www2.victoriassecret.com/commerce/application/prodDisplay/?namespace=productDisplay&origin=onlineProductDisplay.jsp&event=display&prnbr=QP-183568&page=1&cgname=OSCLOTOPLNG

Theres also a ton of other stuff in their sale section which is worth checking out...

http://www.easyspirit.com also has some pretty comfortable shoes worth checking out:)

Hello Crusin Chica,

You must be getting excited for your upcoming cruise with only a little over a month until you sail. The top from Victoria Secret is very cute. Did you buy it? I love VS and buy most of my lingerie & some sleepwear from their stores or catalogues. Have never bought their clothing though-How is the quality?

Well the Easy Spirit sale makes me sad. I bought a pair of the Esmeralda style for my cruise in March or April and paid more that the online retail.:(

But I was very comfortable wearing those sandals. Walked all over Old San Juan & no sore toes or blisters! Their sandals are sooooo comfy!

Thanks for the links. Just might consider another pair of sandals. Have fun shopping! BTW have you bought any for your formals? Be sure to post here.

Hey Sweetdreams,

Yes, I'm definately getting excited for the cruise! I havent really had TOO much time to think about everything yet, but i've started filling a basket with some stuff i'm going to need, like small tubes of toothpaste, etc:) I've also started making a list, which makes my life THAT much easier. LOL.

I didnt buy that top from VS yet since i was going to look around and see if any other stores had similar tops (I have yet to check macy's). I was a little worried about sizing though. I have never bought their clothing, only bras and underwear, but I asked my friend, and heres what she said:

"Ive only gotten stuff at the stores... the material is fine... but i remember my friends complaining about the size when they ordered on the catalog, but those were some funky shirts..."

so I figured i'd look around and see if i could find something similar:) I wish they had clothing in VS stores though, because then it woudl be THAT much easier!

I didnt get anything from Easy Spirit yet either; was planning on going to the store itself first so i could make sure things fit right, etc. Basically i dont want the hassle of returning things:) I was in payless the other day though, and saw these:

http://www.payless.com/Catalog/ProductDetail.aspx?&TLC=Womens&SLC=WomensSandals&BLC=WomensSandalsTrendy&Width=Regular&ItemCode=34760&LotNumber=041343&Type=Adult&Popularity=&DescriptiveColor=Brown

I tried them on and they were pretty comfortable! I'm not sure if i would wear them around for an all-day tour, but definately for shorter excursions.

The Esmeralda style is cute-I like the Brunella style too. Maybe you should consider buying another pair for your next cruise then;)

As for formals, I actually got a great formal dress at Syms. You can find stores here:

http://www.syms.com/locations.asp

Theyve got great deals on women's and men's clothing, as well as smaller kids. Not so much stuff for the 20s crowd, except for the sportswear, but I did find a nice Anne Klein suit there, and some formal dresses! I dont have a picture of the dress i got for formals night, but i'll take one and post soon:)

Hey Chica,

Don't worry too much about your clothing on the ship. I have been on the Star and we are sailing with you on Jul 4. I agreed with the crowd about layering.

We just got back from Eastern Europe and it was cold at the beginning of the week and hotter than I can bear the end of the week. SO LAYER LAYER LAYER. It's the only way to travel baby..

As for your attire on the ship, you may choose to dine more casual than you think. Since we will be at port, so many of the days. When I get back, I am usually too tired and I just want to grab a quick bit and start my planning for the next day.

Looking forward to our trip !!:)

Archived