Caribbean Princess - where to run?

lablondie

I'm sailing on the Caribbean Princess out of NY this Saturday. its only a 4 night cruise, but I am running a marathon in January, so taking off from running during the entire cruise is not an option.

I always run outside, snow, sleet, rain or hail, anything is better than a treadmill.... So....... is the promenade deck the option? If so, does anyone know how many times around equals one mile?

thank you!

They removed the jogging track when they installed the Sanctuary, so the only option left is the Promenade deck which may also have people just relaxing and people walking. And in the front of the ship, you need to go up a deck and then down a deck.

i seem to remember having to up and down stairs on another ship, probably it was the Grand Princess. that doesnt bother so much. crowded bothers me, but i used to run on the beach walk on Maui when i lived there, and nothing can be more annoying than that, lol

i seem to remember having to up and down stairs on another ship, probably it was the Grand Princess. that doesnt bother so much. crowded bothers me, but i used to run on the beach walk on Maui when i lived there, and nothing can be more annoying than that, lol

There are many people strolling that you will need to maneuver around. To be honest I like running on the treadmill on a cruise, love seeing the water and scenery in front of me :) Good luck with the Marathon training!

We are on the Ruby in 30 days and looking at the deck plans there is only a very tight circle listed as 'the walking' path to try to do any type of a run on. We have 3 Half's before we sail, and then the Dallas Marathon in Dec. a week after we get back. So it will prob be dread-mill time on this cruise.

Good luck with your Marathon!

I have had a blast running on the promenade deck of the Ruby Princess. When you approach the bow, you will have to take a flight of stairs up and then back down a little later, but this adds a little cross training to the workout. I usually run for time and have run as long as 90 minutes without any problems. Most walkers walk counterclockwise. If you run clockwise, walkers can see you and easily get out of the way. This deck is nearly vacant between 4:00 and 6:00 PM when most people are getting ready for dinner. I like to watch the horizon for ships, land, and enjoy the sea air. I have only been on Princess, Holland America and Celebrity and Princess is the best for runners so far. If anybody has any other favorites ships for running, please let me know. Good luck with the races.

I'm sailing on the Caribbean Princess out of NY this Saturday. its only a 4 night cruise, but I am running a marathon in January, so taking off from running during the entire cruise is not an option.

I always run outside, snow, sleet, rain or hail, anything is better than a treadmill.... So....... is the promenade deck the option? If so, does anyone know how many times around equals one mile?

thank you!

Yes, the promenade is the track, with the added bonus of stairs at the bow! Six around is a mile, I believe.

Have a great cruise - hope the weather tames for you! Last year it was snowing when we arrived in NYC for the repo cruise. That will never be forgotten!

Please do not run on the Promenade deck before 8 am. There are cabins on the deck below, mine specifically. Thank you!

Yes, the window suites on the Caribbean Princess are directly below the Promenade. We had an Emerald deck cabin (which is below the Promenade) on the Sea Princess and there was a guy who would start jogging at around 5am. Calls to the purser's desk got a sign posted the next day, but he would still run. Finally, I went up there and asked him to stop. No problems after that. There is nothing more annoying than to be woken up by the rhythmic pounding of feet over your head.

The best time to get your morning run is at dawn. The air is fresh and the Promenade deck is nearly empty. I like to spend that hour doing a run, walk up the stairs and run routine.

Hopefully this was on ships without cabins below the Promenade...

Have a great cruise - hope the weather tames for you! Last year it was snowing when we arrived in NYC for the repo cruise. That will never be forgotten!

Yes I'm on the same Sat 10/27 cruise, your running may be limited to the treadmill if we have heavy seas the outside decks will be closed including the Promenade.

Can only hope that is not the case as I will be one of those walkers you will be passing.

thank you!

If it were me, I would tweak my running schedule for the week and make sure I did my long run before I left (not sure when your race is in January, but guessing you are at about 12 or 13 for your long run) and then only have to worry about my shorter runs and the mid-week semi-long run. It does get monotonous running on the ship, you could maybe split it up on your longer run between treadmill and track so you aren't totally going bonkers if you are having to run 7 or so miles. Good luck on your race!

I am doing. My long run on Friday. 20 miles, following an advanced schedule. So I'm supposed to do 8 miles a day mon, tues (Sunday is my off day) but I'm going to slack and do only 6. We'd ill run when I get home. However....yes, if the deck is closed, yep I will have to succumb to the treadmill. Oh we'll, there are worse things to worry about in life! Lol

• 1 month later...

Just back from Ruby, the SMALL track on deck 18 always had someone on it walking or running, 16 'circles' to the mile :mad:. The had a 5k on deck 7 one day. There were always quite a few pax there during the day, and the gym was always packed by 8 am.

Archived