What do you recommend?

sweetcurves

How do they know if you have someone handicapped in your room before they bump you? Do they call and inquire?

Chances of being "bumped" from a HC room would be rare. It is against the law to inquire about someones well-being. Some people are ignorant enough to book those cabins and not NEED them, preventing someone who needs it from going on that cruise. I'm not trying to hijack this thread, just answer your question.

I think that's why we loved it so much. There was no pressure. There wasn't a multitude of decisions to make. All the land vacations I've taken with my sister, I do ALL the planning, all the driving, all the navigating. It turns out to be more stressful than restful. On the cruise, we have limited options and end up eating just to fuel ourselves instead of as an experience, we are forced to relax because there aren't 478 malls that we can explore. It felt like a REAL vacation, not just like my every day life in a different city.

That's what happened to me back in 1998. I am so addicted to cruising! We did take a two week land vacation to LV, AZ and CA but it seemed like we were mostly in the car. Loved it, but like you, too stressful. Although there are so many places in the good old USA to see, I just can't seem to get away from cruising.

I think that's why we loved it so much. There was no pressure. There wasn't a multitude of decisions to make. All the land vacations I've taken with my sister, I do ALL the planning, all the driving, all the navigating. It turns out to be more stressful than restful. On the cruise, we have limited options and end up eating just to fuel ourselves instead of as an experience, we are forced to relax because there aren't 478 malls that we can explore. It felt like a REAL vacation, not just like my every day life in a different city.

I've done 21 cruises and 12 all inclusives over the years, versus about 12 land based vacations in HI, FL and CA. The land based vacations can be more stressful than work because of all of the decisions that need to be made and all of the driving that needs to be done. Because of this fact, my preferred method to vacation is to either cruise or go all inclusive. Be thankful that you found cruising when you did and be even more thankful that you found cruise critic to help you with any questions that you have. ;)

Alright, we had some things fall into place (got a bit of credit from SW for a terrible flight both to and from FLL), so now we are debating between:

7 day Glory: Cozumel, Belize, Mahogany Bay, Grand Cayman (already been to GC)

or

8 day Freedom: Tortola, Antigua, St Thomas, Nassau (haven't been to any of these places)

The inside is actually cheaper on the Freedom but the OV is more. I'm thinking we do what we did last time and book the inside and keep checking for price drops and possibly upgrade to the OV.

I also like that SW flies into FLL so much easier to and from Port Everglades. Another point for the Freedom. Plus Milan might still be there. :D

What do ya'll think?

Alright, we had some things fall into place (got a bit of credit from SW for a terrible flight both to and from FLL), so now we are debating between:

or

8 day Freedom: Tortola, Antigua, St Thomas, Nassau (haven't been to any of these places)

The inside is actually cheaper on the Freedom but the OV is more. I'm thinking we do what we did last time and book the inside and keep checking for price drops and possibly upgrade to the OV.

I also like that SW flies into FLL so much easier to and from Port Everglades. Another point for the Freedom. Plus Milan might still be there. :D

What do ya'll think?

Doing the 8 day you mentioned above in 10 day :)

But I would shoot for the time at the beginning of December. I love the warm weather get away during the cold weather.

Still, any cruise is a good cruise in my opinion ;)

Doing the 8 day you mentioned above in 10 day :)

But I would shoot for the time at the beginning of December. I love the warm weather get away during the cold weather.

Still, any cruise is a good cruise in my opinion ;)

LOL I live in Canada...April is still pretty cool.

April is when we'll be going...and I think it's going to be the 8 day!!! It just seems like it's worth it and I loved the Freedom.

Once I'm done school we'll do another cruise and try another ship.

or

What do ya'll think?

The 8 day freedom is a slam dunk.....Tortola is on my bucket list and I have heard that the Virgin Gorda Baths are fabulous. Go for an inside ES.

The 8 day freedom is a slam dunk.....Tortola is on my bucket list and I have heard that the Virgin Gorda Baths are fabulous. Go for an inside ES.

Funny enough, I was already looking at the baths as an excursion! They look amazing!

Now I just have to make sure I'll be able to get out of dodge on the 19th as exams don't officially end until the 20th. Eeeeek.

Funny enough, I was already looking at the baths as an excursion! They look amazing!

Now I just have to make sure I'll be able to get out of dodge on the 19th as exams don't officially end until the 20th. Eeeeek.

You responded before I was able to edit with some quirky prices for you. The ES rates are a better and cheaper way to go than the 50% reduced deposit deal for past guest. The PG is 579 for a 4A or a 4B and 499 for a 1A, while the ES is 529 for a 4A, 559 for a 4B and only 479 for a 1A with portholes. There are 2 cabins like this available, 2211 and 2212, they are on the main deck, have a twin bed and a sofa bed, not a bunk bed set up and they have 2 portholes. It's 80 bucks cheaper than the corresponding inside on the same main deck and you get 2 portholes to boot. That 80 dollar savings covers a good portion of your gratuities.

You responded before I was able to edit with some quirky prices for you. The ES rates are a better and cheaper way to go than the 50% reduced deposit deal for past guest. The PG is 579 for a 4A or a 4B and 499 for a 1A, while the ES is 529 for a 4A, 559 for a 4B and only 479 for a 1A with portholes. There are 2 cabins like this available, 2211 and 2212, they are on the main deck, have a twin bed and a sofa bed, not a bunk bed set up and they have 2 portholes. It's 80 bucks cheaper than the corresponding inside on the same main deck and you get 2 portholes to boot. That 80 dollar savings covers a good portion of your gratuities.

I thought about the porthole but my sister and I would fight over who had to sleep on the sofa.

And I would always do ES, no matter what. I'm thinking of waiting for this "sale" to be over and then we'll book. Eeeeeeeeeee!!!

Maybe I should call my program director and make sure I won't have exams on the 19th or 20th. LOL

I thought about the porthole but my sister and I would fight over who had to sleep on the sofa.

And I would always do ES, no matter what. I'm thinking of waiting for this "sale" to be over and then we'll book. Eeeeeeeeeee!!!

Maybe I should call my program director and make sure I won't have exams on the 19th or 20th. LOL

If you like the thought of having the portholes, then you could each sleep on the bed for 4 nights and the sofa bed for 4 nights. The sofa bed is not bad at all. I slept on one back in the day when they were classified as a 5A cabin, which of course implied that it was better or higher rated than an inside and not as nice as a 6A, which is an OV on the Riv deck. EDIT....if you're worried about exams, there is a 6 day sailing of the Breeze on 4/21 that has great rates as well.

If you like the thought of having the portholes, then you could each sleep on the bed for 4 nights and the sofa bed for 4 nights. The sofa bed is not bad at all. I slept on one back in the day when they were classified as a 5A cabin, which of course implied that it was better or higher rated than an inside and not as nice as a 6A, which is an OV on the Riv deck. EDIT....if you're worried about exams, there is a 6 day sailing of the Breeze on 4/21 that has great rates as well.

I think I would be too hot on the sofa. I've slept on a surface similar to that (IE hospital stretchers/beds) and it doesn't breathe.

I saw the Breeze and I do have that listed as a just in case but I just went to Ocho Rios and have pretty much zero desire to go there again.

I'll be dropping at least one of my first semester classes as I did it before and will be exempted so I'm hoping all my exams will be at the beginning of the week. I will find out before we book though. And I'm sure there's a way to work around it as well (if necessary).

I think I would be too hot on the sofa. I've slept on a surface similar to that (IE hospital stretchers/beds) and it doesn't breathe.

I saw the Breeze and I do have that listed as a just in case but I just went to Ocho Rios and have pretty much zero desire to go there again.

I'll be dropping at least one of my first semester classes as I did it before and will be exempted so I'm hoping all my exams will be at the beginning of the week. I will find out before we book though. And I'm sure there's a way to work around it as well (if necessary).

Hopefully all will work out with school and you'll be able to go on the 8 day Freedom, but if you have to go on the 6 day Breeze, you'll also have a blast. The ship is so different with all of the new bells and whistles and decor, the ship itself is the destination, IMHO, and the ports are secondary. If you did sail on her while most people went ashore to check out Ocho Rios, you could stay on board and have less people to contend with.

Hopefully all will work out with school and you'll be able to go on the 8 day Freedom, but if you have to go on the 6 day Breeze, you'll also have a blast. The ship is so different with all of the new bells and whistles and decor, the ship itself is the destination, IMHO, and the ports are secondary. If you did sail on her while most people went ashore to check out Ocho Rios, you could stay on board and have less people to contend with.

I just started looking at the Breeze. Oh no, I think I'm in love. It's SO pretty!!! Gah what to do what to do!

I emailed my program director...hopefully she can tell me exactly when exams are.

I just started looking at the Breeze. Oh no, I think I'm in love. It's SO pretty!!! Gah what to do what to do!

I emailed my program director...hopefully she can tell me exactly when exams are.

OP...have you considered going out of New York or Baltimore ? Great prices on some of the cruises from either port, although the ones out of New York have better itineraries.

You are right that April can be a cool month "up North", but we find that come April, we're looking to open the cottage and enjoy it.

From a fellow Ontarian...Good Luck with your choices !

[quote name='sweetcurves']I just started looking at the Breeze. Oh no, I think I'm in love. It's SO pretty!!! Gah what to do what to do!

I emailed my program director...hopefully she can tell me exactly when exams are.[/quote]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Check out the 100 professional pictures below....th[SIZE=3]is is why it's the best that carnival has to offer.

[SIZE=3]http://mediagallery.usatoday.com/Cruise+Ship+Tours/Carnival+Breeze/G1773,A12835

[SIZE=3]4/21/13 6 d[SIZE=3]ays....book it and you will not have to worry about [SIZE=3]exams.EDIT....picture 96 will show you what the sofa bed looks like, LOL.[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]

[quote name='K&P Luv2Cruise']OP...have you considered going out of New York or Baltimore ? Great prices on some of the cruises from either port, although the ones out of New York have better itineraries.

You are right that April can be a cool month "up North", but we find that come April, we're looking to open the cottage and enjoy it.

From a fellow Ontarian...Good Luck with your choices ![/QUOTE]

Have considered it but not strongly. I don't like the idea of spending so much time at sea. I don't mind a couple sea days but 4 on an 8 day is a little much, in my opinion.

[quote name='SNJCruisers'][SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Check out the 100 professional pictures below....th[SIZE=3]is is why it's the best that carnival has to offer.

[SIZE=3]http://mediagallery.usatoday.com/Cruise+Ship+Tours/Carnival+Breeze/G1773,A12835

[SIZE=3]4/21/13 6 d[SIZE=3]ays....book it and you will not have to worry about [SIZE=3]exams.EDIT....picture 96 will show you what the sofa bed looks like, LOL.[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

OMG now I REALLY don't know what to do! LOL

It's a very pretty ship. I love how new it is!

I feel like we're less likely to get a price drop on the Breeze and right now price is the biggest issue.

So unless I absolutely can't get on Freedom on 4/20, I am going to save Breeze as a graduation gift in 2014!!!

[quote name='sweetcurves']OMG now I REALLY don't know what to do! LOL

It's a very pretty ship. I love how new it is!

I feel like we're less likely to get a price drop on the Breeze and right now price is the biggest issue.

So unless I absolutely can't get on Freedom on 4/20, I am going to save Breeze as a graduation gift in 2014!!![/quote]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS]If your exams prevent you from sailing on the Freedom, then the [SIZE=3]Breeze will be it for you. It's 509 for a 4A and 479 for the porthole 1A.....did the picture of the sofa bed make you possibly change your mind, LOL[SIZE=3]? Remember, you did like your OV, and the porthole cabin is a cheap way to lock in natural light.[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]

LOL
You're definitely into cruising.....you won't be able to stop yourself now, falling in love with all the different ships and what they have to offer, all the various different ports of call.

I like trying to make sure we go to as many different ports of call as we can as well as try to avoid sailing the same ship if we can as well. With 8 cruises down or planned, we have only sailed the same ship twice (Victory x2) and Nassau is the only repeated port.

[quote name='kingoftheicedragons']LOL
You're definitely into cruising.....you won't be able to stop yourself now, falling in love with all the different ships and what they have to offer, all the various different ports of call.

I like trying to make sure we go to as many different ports of call as we can as well as try to avoid sailing the same ship if we can as well. With 8 cruises down or planned, we have only sailed the same ship twice (Victory x2) and Nassau is the only repeated port.[/QUOTE]

I have fallen so hard for cruising!

• 9 months later...

Archived