Jeep /Snorkel Excursion - San Gervasio Ruins or El Caracol?

banditoo

I am trying to decide between two similar Jeep/snorkel excursions, both with the same company, same length of time and only $1.00 price difference. Both routes take in the Punta Sur National Park, the East side coastline, include a stop for snorkeling from shore and also include lunch. The only route difference seems to be that one also goes to the San Gervasio Ruins and the other goes to El Caracol. One also does the snorkel stop in the morning at the start of the tour whereas the other does the snorkel stop just before lunch. My inclination is to do the one that does the snorkeling closer to lunch as the day will be warmer then, however that tour is the one that goes to El Caracol. My question is whether San Gervasio is really something not to be missed (we have seen the ruins at Tulum before and will be seeing ruins in Costa Maya at the start of this cruise). Also wondering if there would be any particular reason to choose the early morning snorkeling or later morning snorkeling? Both tours start between 0830 and 0930.

With which company did you see those 2 Jeep tours?

Cozumel Watersports which is now apparently part of the ShoreExcurioneer group. The tour that includes San Gervasio is called Cozumel's Best Island Highlights Jeep excursion & Snorkeling and the other one to El Caracol is called Cozumel ultimate Island Jeep, Punta Sur & Snorkel Excursion.

Cozumel Watersports which is now apparently part of the ShoreExcurioneer group. The tour that includes San Gervasio is called Cozumel's Best Island Highlights Jeep excursion & Snorkeling and the other one to El Caracol is called Cozumel ultimate Island Jeep, Punta Sur & Snorkel Excursion.

Thank you banditoo! From what we read the ruins at San Gervasio are bigger and the main archaeological site in Cozumel. Cedral is just one ruin and supposingly the first city in the history of Cozumel. There is quite some info on wikipedia ;)

I decided to rent a car instead of taking one of the guided excursions that I had mentioned below. Have reserved a car for pick up a few blocks from the pier and then we can tour the island on our own and stop for as long as we want wherever we want. Will drive across the island, perhaps stop at San Gervasio, take in the scenic East coast, stop at Punta Sur and probably Palancar Beach.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived