Google Voice as voice mail solution for those who need to stay in touch?

mateome

I know, I know. We should turn the phones off and put them in the safe. And trust me, I would LOVE that, but we own several businesses and we need to be available in cases of emergency (employee gets hurt, tenant has a fire, you get the idea). And honestly, I enjoy my cruise more when I'm not worrying about what might be going on at home. That said (so please don't flame me), has anyone used Google Voice?

My thought is to unconditionally forward my cell phone to Google Voice so that I can leave the phone on so I can receive texts but have no risk of the phone ringing and incurring those charges. Google Voice will text me if I get a call, as well as attempt to transcribe the voice mail into a text (how cool is that?), so I will know if it's something I need to deal with immediately. I could also check the Google Voice messages via wifi in port or on the ship, but I'll pay 5 cents per incoming text all day, every day to know I'm not missing an emergency I need to deal with.

Has anyone used Google Voice like this to confirm that it works like I think it does?

And yes, I know to turn my data roaming off. :)

With Google Voice, your phone will still ring. The unanswered call gets forwarded to Google Voice. Google Voice will send you a text message when there is a call and also a transcription, if you choose.

If you are on a CDMA network, remember to dial *72 to end the call forwarding.

We own our own business so I know where you are coming from. Even on vactaion DH is not always on vacation.

DH FINALLY has the office running so that he only has to call his secretary once a day to get up to date. Many things the staff can do on their own.:) Hopefully you have staff that can help and you're not calling the plumber from the middle of the ocean. Do you have procedures written down how to handle an employee injury or a fire? Or is it all kept in your head? (Not being sarcastic, just I know how it is.)

DH calls on our down time. That way he is not missing out on anything or being called away from something fun.

A bit more expensive than what you are trying to do but it works for us.

There have been a few (many) times that he has had to redo a negotiation/deal/plan of action because the client messed things up.:mad:

I don't know the answer to your question, but it sounds doable. After your cruise come back and let us know if it worked.

With Google Voice, your phone will still ring. The unanswered call gets forwarded to Google Voice. Google Voice will send you a text message when there is a call and also a transcription, if you choose.

If you are on a CDMA network, remember to dial *72 to end the call forwarding.

Thanks for responding. My understanding (from the other monster thread about calls on a cruise) is that if I "unconditionally call forward" then it is forwarded at the "switch" and won't ring on my phone. I will check with Verizon, but you know you get different answers each time you talk to them! I would just love to hear from someone who has maybe done this or has unconditionally forwarded.

The Google Voice translate function isn't great. I often get calls that don't get translated.

Don't rely on the translation to interpret what the message is about.

Obviously test the forwarding well before your cruise to ensure it works how you'd like.

I use Google Voice for all sorts of things but I'd assume you're going to have to use the Google Voice app to listen to the messages and probably incur data charges on your phone. The translator just isn't up to par.

The Google Voice translate function isn't great. I often get calls that don't get translated.

Don't rely on the translation to interpret what the message is about.

Obviously test the forwarding well before your cruise to ensure it works how you'd like.

I use Google Voice for all sorts of things but I'd assume you're going to have to use the Google Voice app to listen to the messages and probably incur data charges on your phone. The translator just isn't up to par.

That's okay. I thought if it showed me the phone number I could at least figure out if it's a current client/tenant/employee who needs something or a telemarketer, who I can ignore. And I figured I could use the Google Voice App while I'm in port as we always find free/cheap WiFi. Thanks for responding! :)

I know, I know. We should turn the phones off and put them in the safe. And trust me, I would LOVE that, but we own several businesses and we need to be available in cases of emergency (employee gets hurt, tenant has a fire, you get the idea). And honestly, I enjoy my cruise more when I'm not worrying about what might be going on at home. That said (so please don't flame me), has anyone used Google Voice?

My thought is to unconditionally forward my cell phone to Google Voice so that I can leave the phone on so I can receive texts but have no risk of the phone ringing and incurring those charges. Google Voice will text me if I get a call, as well as attempt to transcribe the voice mail into a text (how cool is that?), so I will know if it's something I need to deal with immediately. I could also check the Google Voice messages via wifi in port or on the ship, but I'll pay 5 cents per incoming text all day, every day to know I'm not missing an emergency I need to deal with.

Has anyone used Google Voice like this to confirm that it works like I think it does?

And yes, I know to turn my data roaming off. :)

It all seems very cool, but it's not. Half the time google voice does not work and if your cell phone is forwarding calls, you're going to get hit with charges for those calls. Just something to think about.

Archived