9/11 cruises...do they discount much

Everlast

Hello all, just wondered since i have seen a few countdown clocks with 9/11 dates. is there ant measurable difference in price on this weeks sailings? To me it wouldn't matter, heck i went to Vegas with a friend the month after 9/11 and wasn't worried one bit. I just quesion weather people still avoid travel around this date and if it impacts prices. You are all so knowlegable on all things travel related if you don't know no one will!!!:D

Hello all, just wondered since i have seen a few countdown clocks with 9/11 dates. is there ant measurable difference in price on this weeks sailings? To me it wouldn't matter, heck i went to Vegas with a friend the month after 9/11 and wasn't worried one bit. I just quesion weather people still avoid travel around this date and if it impacts prices. You are all so knowlegable on all things travel related if you don't know no one will!!!:D

I was living in Manhattan on September 11th and lived through the horror. I find this post a little distressing and offensive.

We are leaving out of NO on 9-11-05. Our cruise price was lower than the previous one because of what tef43 said. The very next week after ours is actually lower in price. And since we have booked, ours has went up $100.00.

I honestly don't think there are discounts because of the date in any form of travel.

I took a flight to NYC (LGA) on 9/11/02 (1 year anniversary of 9/11) to visit my Aunt and Uncle. I got a fantastic deal on the flight ($49 each way from Charlotte, NC is a great deal) and there was only 3 other passengers on the plane. I was able to see ground zero from a distance since most of it was blocked off. We planned on stopping back there before I left but we never had the opportunity. (I did enjoy the Feast of San Gennaro while in the city)

We are booked on a cruise in September because a majority of children will be back in school and the price for a balcony was too good to pass up! We’ve sailed in October, November - December and February (off season) because the prices were heavily discounted. I’ve also noticed a price fluctuation when you sail after Thanksgiving but before Christmas and usually a week before and a week after a holiday.

I took a flight to NYC (LGA) on 9/11/02 (1 year anniversary of 9/11) to visit my Aunt and Uncle. I got a fantastic deal on the flight ($49 each way from Charlotte, NC is a great deal) and there was only 3 other passengers on the plane. I was able to see ground zero from a distance since most of it was blocked off. We planned on stopping back there before I left but we never had the opportunity. (I did enjoy the Feast of San Gennaro while in the city)

I cannot believe these posts. I'm so glad you got a cheap flight on 9/11 and enjoyed the Feast of San Gennaro. Maybe we should all hope for another terrorist attack so we can get some more good deals. Sorry for the sarcasm, but doesn't anyone understand the hurt that we experienced in New York?

I cannot believe these posts. I'm so glad you got a cheap flight on 9/11 and enjoyed the Feast of San Gennaro. Maybe we should all hope for another terrorist attack so we can get some more good deals. Sorry for the sarcasm, but doesn't anyone understand the hurt that we experienced in New York?

Yogi, lighten up a little. Nobody was making light of the situation. People HAVE to talk about this, and I think you are overreacting a bit. I lost 13 friends and countless business associates in the attack and was scheduled to go to my Man. satellite office on 9/13... so yes, I KNOW the pain and feel it all the time. But honestly, I have not been offended by anything that has been said... you are taking things the wrong way. Yes, I got a cheap flight 3 weeks after 9/11, what is wrong with saying that? Nothing... it is a fact... and no way to tip toe around it.

I wasn't offended by anything the OP said. I was at 140 West Street (across from the beloved WTC) when the two planes slammed into the towers. I saw the second plane come crashing through the building from where I was on the 3rd floor of 140 West. Saw hundreds of people jumping from the flaming floors. Made the 60+ block trek with thousands of others from downtown to midtown - not knowing what was truly happening to the city.

No doubt a day of tragedy - would never want to see it again. However I don't see anything wrong with asking whether or not the travel industry is still "concerned" about that date and might be offering lower fares.

We got an incredible deal on our 9/11 cruise, $461.47 pp for 7 days. We also have a military discount. I asked if the date had anything to do with the price and was told no that the reason it was so cheap was 1-hurricane season and 2- off season for cruises. Apparently there are certain weeks that are just cheaper than others.:)

Sorry for the sarcasm, but doesn't anyone understand the hurt that we experienced in New York?
I also don't see anything wrong with the OP's post. It is a fact that the tourism industry was hard hit by the 9/11 attack. Airlines are still trying to recover. The cruise industry has finally seemed to have fully recovered. It is a known fact that people were afraid to travel shortly after or on the anniversary of 9/11. Even the wedding industry suffered, as brides did not want to have 9/11 as their anniversary.

Yogi, I think you are taking this personally and a little unreasonably. It happened in New York, Washington, and Pennsylvania, but by no means does this make that day purely a "New York" tragedy. You talk as if you have to live in New York to "understand the hurt." The entire nation suffered.

I think it is a legitimate question to ask if the fares will be cheaper in September, whether because of September 11 or other reasons as explained above.

You need to chill out. First of all the attacks were not just a New York thing. Many people were affected. The OP's question did not bother me at all. If reading about things like this bother you then skip over the post. That simple. Sorry for being so candid but I am tired of all the PC that is expected in the world today.

You need to chill out. First of all the attacks were not just a New York thing. Many people were affected. The OP's question did not bother me at all. If reading about things like this bother you then skip over the post. That simple. Sorry for being so candid but I am tired of all the PC that is expected in the world today.

Hi Cruisingator2 - I'm sure Yogimax wishes he could 'chill out'. A sad day for everyone all over the world without a doubt. However, it sadly happened, and the world is now a different place and 9/11 is a date that many are fearful of travelling on so I don't think the question was unreasonable. However, let us not forget how many people will be traumatised by 9/11 for the rest of their lives.

Hi Cruisingator2 - I'm sure Yogimax wishes he could 'chill out'. A sad day for everyone all over the world without a doubt. However, it sadly happened, and the world is now a different place and 9/11 is a date that many are fearful of travelling on so I don't think the question was unreasonable. However, let us not forget how many people will be traumatised by 9/11 for the rest of their lives.

Capp, Cruisingator was replying to another post, which had nothing to do with a fear of traveling, and didn't include a question... he was not replying to the original poster, who DID have a question... I think you may have the OP and Yogi confused... Yes, we are all forever traumatized by those tragic events, and the original poster did nothing wrong by posting what he/she did...

I think some of you are becoming a little to defensive.

A little sister by the name of Meka lost her only big brother on that day, and I don't live anywhere near New York City. The whole nation suffered, and I don't think that someone asking about travel concerns and trends on that day is making light of the totality of the situation.

Can we please not make anything big out something small for once. Its not one of the greatest things to get into a debate over :rolleyes:

I'm done you guys. Happy travels :)

Meka, I'm very sorry to hear about your brother sweetie :(

Thanks....I appreciate it

It actually made me a happier person though, I lead a whole different life than I did before that, and for that I'm thankful. There's a silver lining in every cloud :)

Capp, Cruisingator was replying to another post, which had nothing to do with a fear of traveling, and didn't include a question... he was not replying to the original poster, who DID have a question... I think you may have the OP and Yogi confused... Yes, we are all forever traumatized by those tragic events, and the original poster did nothing wrong by posting what he/she did...

Cruisingator did indeed admonish me to "chill out," and proceeded to complain about "PC." I assume he meant "political correctness." Believe me, this is not about "political correctness." Cappochino hit the nail on the head. There are many of us who will never be able to "chill out" about the attack on our city and country. Nor should we.

Cruisingator did indeed admonish me to "chill out," and proceeded to complain about "PC." I assume he meant "political correctness." Believe me, this is not about "political correctness." Cappochino hit the nail on the head. There are many of us who will never be able to "chill out" about the attack on our city and country. Nor should we.

Yes Yogi, I saw that she addressed the post and mentioned you, but I believe she was referring to the question being asked. You were not asked to "chill out" about the attack on our country... nobody will ever be able to do that. You were asked to "chill out" with your comments to posters that made legitmate comments and questions... which you called offensive, and they were not offensive to most of us... You took the posts entirely too personally, and acted as if people were making light... they weren't, they were stating facts, period. That is what this board is for, information about cruising, and how to get there...

Yes Yogi, I saw that she addressed the post and mentioned you, but I believe she was referring to the question being asked. You were not asked to "chill out" about the attack on our country... nobody will ever be able to do that. You were asked to "chill out" with your comments to posters that made legitmate comments and questions... which you called offensive, and they were not offensive to most of us... You took the posts entirely too personally, and acted as if people were making light... they weren't, they were stating facts, period. That is what this board is for, information about cruising, and how to get there...

"You need to chill out. First of all the attacks were not just a New York thing."

That first line makes it plain that the writer was referring to the attacks.

Might as well give it up yogimax, you got "Them" going now.....they'll just post you into next week if you argue.

Everyones level of trauma and dealing with it is different......sorry some people here can't just let you express your feelings.

"You need to chill out. First of all the attacks were not just a New York thing."

That first line makes it plain that the writer was referring to the attacks.

Yogi, I won't use the words chill out ;) But how it sounded to ME was that he was telling you to "chill out" from taking it so personally, it WASN'T just a New York thing... the OP asked a question, and it was answered by several... none of the people meant any disrespect to anyone... I think you are reading too much into it... honestly, I think you are missing my explanation... I may not be making much sense :D

I have not read any further than your original post...and not sure if I will/can. I WAS a MT for 11 doctors the day of 9/11 and the days that followed were hell....

Anyway - I would NEVER have a problem traveling on this date.....as long as there were moments of silence for those who were lost. If not, I would not travel on a ship...or anywhere that did not ackowledge this tragedy..

My cousin was a police officer there the day of 9-11 AND THEN went to Iraq for 2 yrs. He just came home and will be leaving us again. Sorry to ramble, but this isnt something I expected today.

wow....I know this thread was probably was not meant as a downer....but it is:( :( :(

Hello all, just wondered since i have seen a few countdown clocks with 9/11 dates.

Oh and BTW, I still have not read any further than your original post, but please tell me where you have seen these countdown clocks? just wondering...I must have been blind

Sail on a ship out of NYC past Lady Liberty on 9-11..... WOW...as the passengerS sing "God Bless America" or listen to Toby Keith sing "cOURTESY OF THE RED, WHITE AND BLUE" (you know, the song that he sings "We'll stick a boot up your as* it's the American way").. I WOULD PAY EXTRA!!!!!

ok, I am rambling again.....been gone all day and this being the first thread I read....................:(

Archived