Propaganda :)

seadancer

Ok folks

Just wondering which photo camera magazines you read or prefer? I like outdoor photography quite a bit and looking for another one to pick up.

Outdoor Photography is my favorite as well and I will continue with it. I may convert to a digital subscription when mine runs out next year.

I still get Popular Photography and will decide on renewal when the subscription expires next year.

American Photo was dropped when the articles turned into drivel about meaningless art and no photo-related issues.

Shutterbug really took a turn downward when they shifted from the tabloid-sized format to a standard size but seem to be coming back to their roots of plain old informative articles and reviews based on field use. I just subscribed again from an offer they sent that gave me two years for $20. At that price I can use it for a Charmin substitute with no regrets if it turns out to be a dud.

I tried Digital Photo Pro and it had fairly advanced content but it couldn't justify the justify the high subscription price. I may try the $1.25/issue Kindle edition to see how it looks on the 9" HD screen.

There's my 2¢...

Dave

Amazingly, I find it easier on my eyes to read things on line, so the only print mag I get is “Photoshop User” and that comes with a membership in the National Association of Photoshop Users. Usually the print copy goes in the recycle bin and I read it on line. Maybe I am missing a lot of things but with the wealth of on-line information about digital photography, I don’t feel a need to subscribe to print magazines.

Larry

When I am waiting for the DW I will pick one up to read at the market, but everything is online and internet.

Almost all the pieces can be found online usually a bit later than in print but most important these days often you find more timely things as well online earlier.

Ok folks

Just wondering which photo camera magazines you read or prefer? I like outdoor photography quite a bit and looking for another one to pick up.

Way back I used to read Modern Photography and occasionally Pop Photo - but admittedly I lost interest in most of them as online reading options seemed to be more raw and interactive, with the periodicals seeming to become too advertiser-driven to the point that the reviews of cameras would get watered down or all-praising.

For me, my 'photography' magazines are no longer gear magazines, but magazines with inspiring photography, such as National Geographic, Smithsonian, and Outdoor Photographer (as opposed to Outdoor PhotographY, which I didn't even know existed!). Outdoor Photographer does some gear reviews, but honestly I'm more looking at it to self-study the shots and techniques - it's the images and places that I'm really taking in. Nat Geo is still #1 in my opinion as a photography inspiration.

Actually, I went and looked it up, and there really IS an Outdoor Photography magazine. It looks like a Brit publication. I thought maybe you liked to read the redcoat stuff (I say jokingly as a UK-born chap who reads Top Gear and What Car magazines, both out of Britain).

Actually, I went and looked it up, and there really IS an Outdoor Photography magazine. It looks like a Brit publication. I thought maybe you liked to read the redcoat stuff (I say jokingly as a UK-born chap who reads Top Gear and What Car magazines, both out of Britain).

UK actually has some beautiful publications but the $12/issue price keeps me on the internet!

Maybe more Kindle editions will start cropping up when the Kindle HD shows up in November.

Dave

Agreed. Call me crazy or call me old (but don't call me Shirley), but I still find the physical photo printed on page in my hand to be so much richer and more interesting to look at than looking at a computer screen...just something about the interaction with a magazine or book - the feel of the paper, the sound of the pages turning...I am a full-on computer and modern world guy, but I can't give up books, magazines, and newspapers entirely - I still just enjoy the disconnect time!

Popular Photography and Shutterbug

I usually buy a subscription in November or December when they are running dirt cheap specials (usually $4/year) on websites like discountmags or tanga). I'm on 3 year subscriptions to both right now for $12 total each

• 3 weeks later...
Popular Photography and Shutterbug

I usually buy a subscription in November or December when they are running dirt cheap specials (usually $4/year) on websites like discountmags or tanga). I'm on 3 year subscriptions to both right now for $12 total each

Ditto here. Also found if you actually let the subscription run out, they will almost give it to you!

Archived