Toddler

palmbeachsurf

See your doctor for a quick prescription on the child strength dramamine. We did that for our kiddos, but ended up not using it after day 1. It seems, I am such a great driver, I have conditioned my family into not getting sea sick.(I have had 2 people say I made them sea sick in the back of the car)

I was concerned once. Our cabin was located on the Empress deck, forward, and on the last sea day, the seas were pretty rough. There was a lot of pitching motion (up and down), and our son was acting a bit out of it, not interacting, with a lost stare, and looking like he was sick. He finally knelt and laid his forehead on the floor with arms on both sides, and started moaning and rocking. We felt so sorry for the little guy, so I took him up to the lido deck to a more midship location for some fresh air and he perked up almost immediately.

I've been told that it depends on their age and how other things like riding in the car seems to effect them. Most people say that children under 2 typically don't get seasick. I will let everyone know if this is true when we get back at the end of November and we do a review since we are taking our 14mo with us this time around.

Check with your dr as mentioned above. Since most seasick meds take a while I would try some preventative measures. Ginger lollipops, candied ginger, strong ginger snaps ginger ale. Try a little a day and while on board green apples are good for upset tummy and of course ginger ale.

Have fun!

Kids who are not yet walking well and are still a bit "wobbly" will probably not notice any motion. Their inner ear hasn't developed enough. Older kids certainly can get seasick....depends on the motion, tho!

Talk to your pediatrician and see what meds. you should bring, just in case!

• 3 weeks later...

I have also been told that babies and toddlers dont get seasick, due to the inner ear thing, mentioned by cb. Our 'Traveling GingerTot' (17mo now) has never even acted under the weather while traveling or cruising (except when he cut 3 teeth on formal night on his first cruise..lol)

but if you are concerned, ginger lollies, or gingerale, or even 'preggy pops' will do the trick, no need to medicate a baby/toddler.

If a baby/toddler does barf on a cruise (like I mentioned, we have never had this situation) but I would think it would be more from being out of their element (if they are used to strict routine) or different food, etc (if they have not been exposed to different things)

Chances are they wont notice.

(at least thats been our experience)

DD does not motion sickness generally in a car, but does have issues on very winding roads and small boats. She does not enjoy any sort of amusement ride.

She's never had a problem at any age on a cruise ship -- has felt queezy on tenders but we now know to sit outdoors, far aft and to use some candied ginger. At 8MO she got wildly uncomfortable in the back seat of a car when we tried the "17 mile drive" at Pebble Beach (very winding). In fact the day after she was born, just walking down the step to our sunken living room carrying her would startle her. :)

Typically true motionsickness does hold off until the kid can walk fairly stablely, but everyone is different. For minor sea sickness, try candied ginger (you know you are getting true ginger - not just ginger flavor)

Archived