Scuba Diving Question

My son wants to scuba dive on our cruise this August and he has a question - will he be able to rent a shorty wetsuit when he signs up for the scuba shore excursion. They say they come with equipment - he needs the BC and regulator, he'll bring his own snorkel, mask and fins, but he was wondering about the wetsuit. :confused:

Thanks!

My son wants to scuba dive on our cruise this August and he has a question - will he be able to rent a shorty wetsuit when he signs up for the scuba shore excursion. They say they come with equipment - he needs the BC and regulator, he'll bring his own snorkel, mask and fins, but he was wondering about the wetsuit. :confused:

Thanks!

Most scuba excursions will have a limited supply of things like wetsuits for rent. However in August in the Caribbean he will probably be able to skip the wet suit. I always dive in a skin. Which is a thin lycra suit, to protect the skin from coral scrapes and other little nasty things. I about 5 years ago bought a microprene 0.5mm skin that is perfect for protection and providing minimal warmth for those warm water dives. Again, the excursion may or may not have a wet suit. Where is he diving? It should be a simple thing to find the water temps at any given island for a particular month. If it is above 82 F he might get a little chilled, but won't really need any warmth. Less than that a shorty might be a tad more comfortable.

jc

We did the ship diving excursion with equipment in Cozumel while on the Navigator. I thought the shorty would be included but it wasn't. I had to pay an additional $10.00 for it. Hope this helps. By the way the dive operation and dive itself were wonderful!

Most scuba excursions will have a limited supply of things like wetsuits for rent. However in August in the Caribbean he will probably be able to skip the wet suit. I always dive in a skin. Which is a thin lycra suit, to protect the skin from coral scrapes and other little nasty things.

jc

How much is a skin to buy? Are they usually available to rent when you dive? We're cruising in August, so I'm assuming that the water will be warm.

I think the answer has much to do with how much time he intends to spend under the water.

Our experience would say that equipment like a wet suit is a first-come, first-served basis and quality varies significantly. They are available but the earlier the better to secure (a good) one.

If I were to bring my own equipment, regulator would be first, mask second.

Happy cruising...!

Lycra skins which provide no insulation, but protection against the sun, coral, and pesky no-seeums underwater are inexpensive less than $50. Neoprene skins, better than Lycra, and provide a nice insulation for summer time diving. Range from $100 to $150. I have two of each, the lycra I wear under a shorty or full suit depending on water temps. The neoprene I wear by itself when it is warm. I have purchased thru local scuba shops full price, but access to brands like Scubapro (my favorite) or liesurepro.com (I just hit the site, casually in the wetsuit section and found quickly a lycra suit for less than $40 and a neoprene skin for less than $70). I agree with Dr. Dean though, things I would value more than a skin are my own regulator then my own mask and snorkel. Kind of a scuba divers maslow hierarchy of needs. Of course if your son doesn't have all of these things, a skin is a lot cheaper investment.:D I remember when I was outfitting myself. I shocked the wife with the bill. :D ;)

jc

Thanks for the tips. He just purchased a prescription mask, snorkel, fins and a full wetsuit (for diving in Long Island Sound). He's taking his classes this weekend and is so excited. His first dive should be sometime in June. He wants to dive in St Lucia and St Thomas and knows he needs something light to protect him. Maybe he should just pick up a light one for himself before we leave. (He did some non-certified diving a few years ago in Mexico and really loved it, he can only now afford to start taking up the sport).

I have been on dives in the carribean (Jamaica & Punta Cana) during April, November and September and have always just worn a lycra skin and never felt chilled. He may reconsider bringing his fins as they take up alot of room, and if his are anything like mine he would also have to bring his booties. Warm water fins are worn barefoot.

I just went on my first cruise in February and specifically became Scuba Certified in late September so I could dive on this cruise.

I was on the W. Caribbean with water temps in the low 70's and had a 3mm suit - very glad that I had the wetsuit.

I also brought my mask, snorkel (didn't use it on 2 shallow dives), booties, fins and wetsuit. For me, I was glad I brought my own fins and booties but my hands and feet get cold fairly easily especially over extended periods in the water.

On my next cruise, I may or may not be Scuba diving but I know my DH and a few other friends will be diving.

Archived