Very excited about my upcoming cruise...

potchak

So initially DH and I were booked in an inside spa cabin on the Nieuw Amsterdam for January 13. However, I started looking around at different rates and different ships. Come to find out we could get an AE mini suite guarantee on the Ruby Princess for essentially $300 more than our spa inside cabin going out the same date so we didn't even have to change our airfare! It was actually $400 more, but we had a $100 future cruise credit that we got to use, which also gave us another $50 in OBC! So it was really $250 more when you factor those in!

Then after having only been booked two days, we got our room assignment in an AA category!!! I was so excited to see that I just had to share.

Does anyone know if/when they typically start offering discounted suite upgrades? I just wanted to know if I should be expecting a call :) Do they do upgrades the day of boarding? Just wondering if we could request a discount on that day...

Does anyone know if/when they typically start offering discounted suite upgrades? I just wanted to know if I should be expecting a call :) Do they do upgrades the day of boarding? Just wondering if we could request a discount on that day...

Upgrades are done by a computer so you can never tell when they might happen, and they are rare so don't hold your breath. Typically there are no upgrades at the pier since the manifest must be set 24 hours before sailing. You cannot request a discount. Once you've paid in full, you're paid in full. End of story.

My TA told me that ships fill from the top and the bottom. The best rooms fill up first and those people don't need upgrading. They sell the lower level rooms multiple times and keep upgrading people who are already booked so they can make room. At least that's her explanation...

I usually pick a particular room and mark it no upgrade. However, I sailed on Carnival in 2008 because it was cheaper (we took our daughter, her husband and the grandkids). We booked an aft-view extended balcony room for us and the lowest level of balcony room for the kids. The cruise was booked well over a year in advance. The kids kept getting upgraded and ended up six doors down from us. I think it was 4 or 5 levels of upgrade. Booking early seems to help.

This year, we met the couple in the other Vista Suite on Dolphin and they had been upgraded from a mini-suite to a Vista Suite. They were overjoyed.

Suites are not generally offered at discount other than Window suites. They are sometimes used as complimentary upgrades but that's unusual.

The check-in computers do not have access to the booking system so cabin changes cannot be requested and/or booked on the pier. Once you've checked in, you can go to the Passenger Services Desk and ask but almost always, there's a sign at the desk that the ship is full and no changes can or will be made. If there is a physical or mechanical problem with your cabin, there's a chance but otherwise, enjoy your AA cabin because that is what you will most likely sail in.

Suites are not generally offered at discount other than Window suites. They are sometimes used as complimentary upgrades but that's unusual.

The check-in computers do not have access to the booking system so cabin changes cannot be requested and/or booked on the pier. Once you've checked in, you can go to the Passenger Services Desk and ask but almost always, there's a sign at the desk that the ship is full and no changes can or will be made. If there is a physical or mechanical problem with your cabin, there's a chance but otherwise, enjoy your AA cabin because that is what you will most likely sail in.

pam, another new pix?

Archived