wine question

L. A. McDaniel

I have been told that a couple can each take a bottle of wine on-board at the initial boarding of a CCL ship. My question is: if you have a ship transfer from the Sydney airport to the ship, check in, and then go back out to see local sites, can you purchase the wine at that time and still be allowed to carry on a bottle? I don't think we will have an opportunity to buy a bottle prior to first check-in as the transfer is direct from the airport to the ship.

Anyone able to give information on this? Your help would be appreciated. Thanks. L

You can bring on two bottles of wine per stateroom at embarkation -- there doesn't seem to be any prohibition against doing what you propose -- but my question would be, what time is your departure? You need to be on board somewhere between 30 and 90 minutes prior, so don't cut it too close. They will tell you on board what your time constraints are.

You can bring on two bottles of wine per stateroom at embarkation -- there doesn't seem to be any prohibition against doing what you propose -- but my question would be, what time is your departure? You need to be on board somewhere between 30 and 90 minutes prior, so don't cut it too close. They will tell you on board what your time constraints are.

Thanks, departure is at 6:30 PM. I'll watch the time and not cut it too close. Rather be "sailing" than standing at the dock holding a bottle of wine. :D

Does anyone know if it would be possible to buy wine at the airport, or is that only for departures? Also, one more question - is there a restriction on size of bottle that can be taken on board? Such as, can you have a liter bottle each?

Usually for departures only, but that does vary by airport. The duty free shops are generally for departures, but there might be a wine shop that is not duty free. Not that it helps you any, but Minneapolis has such a shop. Many airports have their own websites so you should be able to find out.

Standard size wine bottles seem to be the rule. Some with larger containers, such as boxed wines that hold the equivalent of two standard bottles, have been stopped. I doubt if the difference between the standard 750 ml and 1 L would cause much of a problem, but you won't know until you try.

You can buy Duty Free wine at the airport on arrival. I can't remember the exact location of the duty free shop at Sydney Airport but if it is anything like Brisbane airport you virtually have to walk through it to get to immigration and there will also be signage with specials enticing you to buy. Because of the liquid restriction out of some airports buying on arrival has become very popular.

Archived