Dunns Falls w/ 5 yr old?

cruisinquestions

My family will be in Jamaica in January and have no idea what to do with 3 kids ages 11, 8 and 5. So many excusions on Carnivals web site requires a min. age of 6. I hoped that's Carnival's rule, but I'm guessing for things like tubing and horse back riding that's standard. I'd like to book a tour with a private operator and go see a few sights and maybe do the Falls. However, at $15 a person, is it worth it? Could my family use the stairs to the top? I have read many threads about the falls, but I'm not getting any info about the whole area. Is there a place to just 'hang out' and enjoy the beauty of the Falls, and is a climb up the stairs for the littler ones worth it?

Thanks to anyone who has more details!

Juliet

Yes you can just go and hang out at the falls and admire it. There are stairs all the way up and you can get off the falls at certain points. Most people would tell you not to take a five year old. If I had a 5 year old I would certainly try it. I have been there twice, once with our kids and once without. You certainly would have to help the little one ALOT but there were many other kids there. Your little one would pretty much have to be quite daring. Like I said though, many people would tell you not to take her/him. You can always take a cab over and check it out to see for yourself before paying. It is a lot of fun.

We Did Dunns River Falls Last October With Both Of Our Children (ages 5 And 7 ) And Had A Blast!!! There Were Just A Few Spots My Husband And I Had To Give Them A Little Help With. My Friend And Her Mother Took Her Kids (ages 7 And 10) And They Also Had A Great Time And No Problems. My Friends Mother Was Able To Hang Out In An Area And Just Watch As We Came Up. We Are So Glad We Did It And Would Definitely Do It Again! :)

We climbed the falls last week. We had a 6,7 and 11 year old with us. Although we had a great time, I would not recommend taking a 5 year old unless you use the stairs only. I am glad we did it once, but would not take the kids back until they are older. Once you start you can not get off right away. You have to go climb a difficult part before getting off. Not only did the kids need help but most of the adults needed help as well. The guides we were with us did not help anyone. My husband had to repeatedly stop and pull people up.

I don't know if the water was rougher than normal when we were there, but based on my experience I would not take a 5 year old for safety reasons.

Michele

I Would Say To Base Your Decision On Your Individual Child? How Active Is He Usually? ( For Instance We Live In Colorado And Do Some Hiking So My Kids Are Used To A Little Climbing) And His Size. Specifically How Tall Is He? (my Son Is At Least Average/above Average For His Age) There Are A Few Spots On The Falls Where Is Seemed To Get Deeper For Him. :)

I would not consider bringing my almost 7 yr old up the falls - When my husband and I went a few years ago (we are both in our mid 30's and physically fit) we saw many people nearly fall down in various spots that are very tricky. I had a man nearly pull me down several times until my husband told me to stop holding his hand (you walk up hand in hand like a human chain). There are stairs that you can walk up it and always make the decision while you are there. It is beautiful to just see without climbing. Get his/her input once they see it in person. Good luck.

Well I'm not sure what to do. This was the exact question I was going to ask, except my son will be six in a few weeks and we'll be going in October. I can't decide if I should leave him at the kids club or take him along. :confused: He's pretty small and doesn't weigh a lot, I'm afraid it will be too much for him.

Archived