Our DIY Katakolon and Olympia Report

VirtualRain

• 6 months later...

Thanks so much for the great information and photos to go with it! Just wondering if VirtualRain or anyone else can answer a couple questions about the train from Katakolon to Olympia and Olympia itself. I'll be there in July with a group of friends and love doing things on our own instead of booking ship excursions.

1) Is the train a reliable mode of transportation?

2) Does the train schedule change on a daily basis? Perhaps depending on the number of people that might be using it? Looked at the train website and the schedule was very different from the photos posted. We are there for such a short time that I want to make sure that we'll make it back to the ship on time.

3) When in Olympia does one need a guided tour to know what's what? Or is it pretty easy to figure out? Are there any guide books?

Thanks so much! Can't wait to go!

[quote=MlleB;42763288 Just wondering if VirtualRain or anyone else can answer a couple questions about the train from Katakolon to Olympia and Olympia itself.

When in Olympia does one need a guided tour to know what's what? Or is it pretty easy to figure out? Are there any guide books?

Thanks so much! Can't wait to go!

This is the ancient site

[YOUTUBE]JGfh6ZFmvto[/YOUTUBE] and I'd say it would quite hard going without a guide book or similar. This is also a good summary http://ancientolympics.arts.kuleuven.be/eng/ta000en.html All the best, Tony

Thanks for the great review and photos. (I will check out your other port reviews). A question if I may? Does the museum at Olympia have descriptions/interpretation in English and could you give any indication of how good it is in terms of 'teenager interest'? Thanks .

• 2 weeks later...
While the ruins are really, quite ruins, there is something amazing about walking through the gate that the original players walked through thousands of years ago. It's fantastical really.

Seems very surreal actually. :cool: