Which side best for Alaska?

jpancake

My parents will be booking a cruise on either the Sapphire, Island, or Coral Princess from either Vancouver or Seattle to Anchorage. Can anyone provide some input on whether port or starboard would be better for the views from a balcony for the different ships? Any recommendations for specific cabins that might have a little extra room on the balcony?

I know this is going to sound like a cop out. We were on the Island on it's first northbound cruise. At times the port side was better, at times the starboard was better. In the glacier fields, both Glacier Bay and College Fjord, the Port side had better views.

Don't know anything about bigger balconies.

There is so much to see I don't think it matters which side you're on. That said, there are those who would argue that you should be on the Port side going South and Starboard going North. Most ships will do a 360 degree turn in Glacier Bay so that won't matter either. I think the best balconies on the Sapphire are on the Caribe deck. These are larger, half open and half covered which provide shelter in the event of rain. I can't speak to the Coral or Island as I've never been on either of them.

I don't think the side matters, although rose summed up what most folks are told. I think folks that "lock down" the "good" side and don't leave themselves open for upgrade are maybe missing out on something. I've seen some good upgrades out of the "good" side, to a better cabin type on the "bad" side since so many folks want the "good" side. Be flexible is a good plan!

That said, I really prefer the Southbound itinerary better than North. It's smoother with the currents running Southerly, and you get to see the inside passage at Seymour Narrows in the daylight.

On the Coral and Island, I like Category BE. (Aft of Emerald, fully covered, larger balconies).

You can't go wrong on any Alaska cruise though!

We had a cabin with a balcony on the starbord side and could not complain about the views while at sea or in ports. Of course it is the luck of the draw in port as to which way the boat is facing but in Alaska the view is spectacular whether you are facing the town or the mountains. Glacier viewing seems to be best done on deck where you can get from one side to the other depending on where the calving activity is.

Archived