Do You Spend Much Time In The Water?

TravelGal22

Not sure what you are asking. It takes about an hour or hour and a half to climb the falls. They go very slowly. All this time is spent in the water. There are some deep pools but you don't hang out there. The beach is nice. Also it always appears to be uncrowded. The water is beautiful. There is no life guard. I hope that helps some.

Not sure what you are asking. It takes about an hour or hour and a half to climb the falls. They go very slowly. All this time is spent in the water. There are some deep pools but you don't hang out there. The water moves pretty fast. The beach is nice. Also it always appears to be uncrowded. The water is beautiful. There is no life guard. I hope that helps some.

I agree with joeyancho, the beach at DRF is beautiful & was uncrowded when we were there. If you just want to splash around in the ocean or look for shells, you'll be happy there. (I also spent a little time picking up trash. ;)) But if you want a beach with lounge chairs & water activities, it is NOT the place for you!

The main thing for most people is to just climb the falls, so they spend very little time in the pools. Most people climb with an excursion group & then leave. I think your total time on the falls has a LOT to do with how many people are there overall & how big your particular group is. We were there later in the day and there wasn't much of a crowd. Our group of 6 was able to do the climb in about 30 minutes. If you're there at a busy time of day with a big group of people, I think you'll be much closer to the hour and a half time frame. However, that longer time doesn't necessarily mean you'll get more time in the pools. It just takes longer to move everyone through.

But if you want to spend more time in the pools, you can. The DRF entry fee is for the entire day, so you can spend hours in the pools if you want. That probably won't work with an excursion group, but it is possible to do on your own. Did you ask your question because you want to spend time in the pools? Let us know if you need more info.

I'd like to piggyback on this question: can you get a taxi to the falls? Does anyone know how much it costs to get a taxi there from the Falmouth port? We are a group of 7 and don't really want to pay the high prices of the tours. We are wondering if we can just get a taxi or two to the falls and do the climb and float in the water on our own? Thanks!

Yes, I want to spend some time in the pools. I thought the cost for the falls was $25. Is it more if you want to hang out in the water there? We will only be with a few people.

According to DRF's website (http://www.dunnsriverfallsja.com/) the fee is currently $20 ($12 for children 4-10). It costs the same no matter what you do while you're there. The fee is a daily entry fee for you to get into the park. Once you're in, you can stay all day and spend as much time as you want climbing, hanging out in the pools, frolicking on the beach... :D No one will keep track of what you're doing.

And spending time in the pools is perfectly acceptable--it's just not what people normally do. If I were you, I would ask the person you hire as a private guide to give you advice on the best way to get to spend time in the pools. (I saw your post about contacting Courtney Taylor.) A local person should be able to give you a good plan of action. And it's important to have a plan. I know from experience that INDECISION is your ENEMY at DRF!!! If you look like you don't have a plan, the park volunteers/guides will steer you toward doing what everyone normally does. (It took me a few minutes to figure out that the nice man who offered to take our picture for us was actually herding us back toward a tour group!)

Hope all that makes sense & is helpful!

I'd like to piggyback on this question: can you get a taxi to the falls? Does anyone know how much it costs to get a taxi there from the Falmouth port? We are a group of 7 and don't really want to pay the high prices of the tours. We are wondering if we can just get a taxi or two to the falls and do the climb and float in the water on our own? Thanks!

I know you can get a taxi to the falls from Ocho Rios, but I've never been to Falmouth. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you'll be over 2 1/2 hours away from DRF. Time may be a bigger factor for you than cost. From what I've read on CC, hiring a private guide with a vehicle large enough for everyone to ride in may be the best option--for both time & money. You should be able to search the boards & find info about visiting DRF from Falmouth. Once you get to DRF, you can definitely climb & float on your own. Have fun!

Archived