Help Packing with Toddler!

PhotoGal07

Please tell me I'm not the only one who has trouble fitting all the normal toddler crap in the suitcase, plus clothes for me and husband! I could really use some help with our packing list! Any advice would be appreciated.

I swear I'm trying to pack light, but there's a million things we're bringing! We'll be gone for 6 days (4 night cruise, plus a day at the hotel before), is there anything I can get away with not bringing?

Here's Our Packing List:

Clothes for her (clean outfit for each of the 6 days, plus a one nice dress for dinner, there's no way we can re-use her outfits, kid is a mess!)

2 Swimsuits

Life Jacket (takes up a lot of room, but I can't stand the idea of her not having it on the beach)

Sunhat

Pajamas (2 footed, 1 light); I could probably limit it to one footed, but they always start smelling after 2 days

2 Bottles

1 Sippy Cup

2 Bibs

2 Security Blankets

1 Toy Seahorse

1 Small Nightlight

2 Bedtime books

Beach Bag for Beach Days (Lugging Suntan lotion, pail and shovel, towels, etc)

Toothbrush/Toothpaste for her

Comb

Peapod Tent (she's too big for a pack and play, and it folds down flat)

Sandals for on the Beach

Dress Sandals for Dinner

Small First Aid Kit (Bandaids, Neosporin, Infant Tylenol, Dispenser, Pedialyte)

Plus the carseat, umbrella stroller, and diaper bag and small backpack for her with snacks/coloring book/toys for on the plane

For Me:

1 Pair of Capris

2 Sun Dresses (both fold without wrinkling)

3 Tops

2 Swim Suits

1 Coverup

1 Sunhat

1 Pair Flip Flops

1 Pair Nice Dress Shoes

Small Toiletries Bag (I promise it is actually small!)

1 Hairbrush

1 Pair Pajamas

Sun tan lotion

and then my camera bag with my DSLR, cause I want pictures darn it!

Does anyone see anywhere I can cut corners and limit stuff? I really don't want to have to use our super large suitcase, but I'm severely short on space, and I'm trying to leave our small carry-on free for my husband. People are going to look at us like we're nuts as it is!

I'm already ordering extra diapers and wipes and swim diapers to be delivered to our hotel room before we leave for the cruise. So we won't have to worry about those.

I'm starting to panic about trying to get all this through the airport and to the ship! I know we'll be able to check the car seat and at least one suitcase, if not both, but the thought of trying to manage the two suitcases, a stroller, a car seat, diaper bag, and camera bag, even just to the ticketing counter is giving me nightmares.

Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Each ticketed person is allowed a certain number of bags....so you might be able to bring more than you think....what does YOUR airline say each person is allowed? If your child will have a seat on the plane, she is entitled to a carry-on...even if YOU have to carry it!

No one will think you're "nuts"...and if they do...who the hell cares?

It's uselss to try and "pack light" with a child...so stop trying! Pack what you need...you'll be glad you did.

Don't forget a blow-up tub for bathing in a shower (unless you're in a suite with a tub!)

Thanks for the reassurance. It's less about the number allowed by the airplane, and more that I don't think our family can manage three carry-ons suitcases , plus a diaper and camera bag through the airport on top of the stroller and car seat. We'll definitely be checking the car seat and at least one if not both suitcases. I just feel like an idiot packing more for a 6 day vacation than I did for three weeks traveling around Europe!

Thanks for the bathtub suggestion, but we are actually in a suite so we're good there.

I know once we get on the ship, we'll be fine. I'm just worried my husband will have a heart attack trying to lug everything until then.

Can you pack arm floats or inflatables for the beach? That might save a little space (or if there are life vests for rent?) we are taking arm floaters for our 15-month-old, but likely wont use them as we will be in the ocean with her the whole time. You can probably eliminate a bottle and just wash the one you are using in the room (not much space savings, but every little bit helps...)

We are driving (8 hours) to our port and I'm still worried about getting everything for the hotel to the ship. It's an adventure:)

Can you pack arm floats or inflatables for the beach? That might save a little space (or if there are life vests for rent?) we are taking arm floaters for our 15-month-old, but likely wont use them as we will be in the ocean with her the whole time. You can probably eliminate a bottle and just wash the one you are using in the room (not much space savings, but every little bit helps...)

We are driving (8 hours) to our port and I'm still worried about getting everything for the hotel to the ship. It's an adventure:)

Hm.. I probably could change out the life vest. I know we'll be right there with her, I just have an irrational fear of having a random wave hit, and us losing our grip on her. Usually I'm not super paranoid about safety stuff, but that scene gives me nightmares. Unfortunately my irrational fears have only worsened now that I'm pg again. I think the pregnancy hormones are making me crazy.

I'm not sure how much space your beach toys are taking up, but if you're staying in a place that is on the beach there is usually a store around that has toys. Even drugstores have beach toys in FL. We're staying on the beach in Hollywood, FL for 4 days before our cruise and I know there are store within walking distance that have toys. The hotel gift shop probably even has them for a price. You aren't taking too much though, so you don't have a lot to cut. We are planning on bringing a lift vest too and it does take a lot of space. Once we start packing we'll see if it actually makes the cut.

• 2 weeks later...

how old is baby?

(our Traveling GingerTot, Kinley is (now) 17mos-first cruise at 8mo, 2nd at 16mo)

I pack a whole suitecase as our 'baby gear' stuff. (diapers, wipes, bottle/sippy, boogie wipes, diaper disposal bags, lovies,toddler formula, etc) and since most of it is used when we go home, there is room for anything we aquire while on Vacy

Most ships will provide a portacrib, so the peapod may not be necessary, Kinley is too big for the portacribs (32' tall and 30#, big fella for his age) so he just sleeps with us on holiday.

I agree about the life jacket for the beach, we got a 'thinner' ski type jacket for travel, its not as bulky, fits in bottom of the suitcase, but is not as boyant, and does not have the heads up feture, but we are wathcing him closely on Vacy anyway, so its more for my peice of mind then for him.. ;) We did the blow up pool for his first cruise, so he could have splash time. it worked well, (see pic), but we shower him, so bathing him is easier. Some children are scared of the water coming down, but he loves it, so that makes it easy. (might be an option, you could get her used to the shower at home, so it would be fun and not new)

pool1.jpg.cf9ddfedf2c1adfb84a5305f5caf85bc.jpg

Hm.. I probably could change out the life vest. I know we'll be right there with her, I just have an irrational fear of having a random wave hit, and us losing our grip on her. Usually I'm not super paranoid about safety stuff, but that scene gives me nightmares. Unfortunately my irrational fears have only worsened now that I'm pg again. I think the pregnancy hormones are making me crazy.

Random question.

How Preggers are you... remember cruise lines wont let you cruise beyond 21 weeks.

Just a heads up. Carnival requires a form from your Dr, its for safety reasons.

You DH - takes care of two full size suitcases until they are checked in at the airport. He can also stack the carseat on a suitcase, or bungee it to a suitcase, or get one of those backpack straps to make it fit on his back... you could even carry it since you have the stroller and most strollers you can push with one hand.

You - take the baby in the stroller with your purse, the diaper bag, camera case, and possibly car seat. Optional to gate check or regular check your stroller and car seat.

I fly internationally every 5 months and it is outrageous to me the amount of "carry on" people do these days, most often one person (usually female) trying to get away with a huge tote size purse, a shopping style bag (or smaller duffle) with stuff, and then throwing a backpack on too! You really do not need that much stuff on the plane and the likely hood of items getting lost or the plane delayed overnight are slim. I guess it's all about avoiding the baggage fee, but it puts others in a bad position when all of the overhead is full and then you have to loose feet space by putting your bag under the seat in front of you because some other person brought too much stuff on the plane.

Archived