Anyone booked on the Crown Princess?

DARNAILZ

I've heard from my TA that the mini suites are fabulous. Also remember that most balconies on the Dolphin Deck are somewhat exposed to those above you. The only reason I can't do the Dolphin Deck is because he needs to be close to the buffet and pool deck and did I mention the stairs?

AD's: Those cabins are prime real estate for the price! Grab one if you can.

The Caribe deck has larger balconies as well with reg. size cabins (also prime R.E.)

Juniorcruiser, I didn't feel the perks for and an AF mini suite were worth the extra $$ so went with a reg. balcony. We are on the Riviera Deck midship.

TL,

Nan

I just heard about the Crown Princess leaving out of NYC.

I have never sailed on Princess but being a native New Yawker..this is appealing. Ive sailed on the Carnival Legend 2x out of NYC.

I just got a quote for a Disney cruise for 7 days. Double w/verandah for July, 2006 for $5010.

I now got a quote from Princess for Baha deck 9 days double w/taxes & insurance. $4549.56

Its still beating the Disney cruise and I get two more days, so I put a hold on it.

I need to know from you Princess cruisers. Is this worth the money? This new ship sounds beautiful. From what Im reading,,some of you think this is very expensive. Ive been told the cruise industry is supply & demand and there is a huge demand for summer cruising, especially out of NYC. Hence, the price.

Should I go to the Caribe deck?

I just heard about the Crown Princess leaving out of NYC.

I have never sailed on Princess but being a native New Yawker..this is appealing. Ive sailed on the Carnival Legend 2x out of NYC.

I just got a quote for a Disney cruise for 7 days. Double w/verandah for July, 2006 for $5010.

I now got a quote from Princess for Baha deck 9 days double w/taxes & insurance. $4549.56

Its still beating the Disney cruise and I get two more days, so I put a hold on it.

I need to know from you Princess cruisers. Is this worth the money? This new ship sounds beautiful. From what Im reading,,some of you think this is very expensive. Ive been told the cruise industry is supply & demand and there is a huge demand for summer cruising, especially out of NYC. Hence, the price.

Should I go to the Caribe deck?

I understand supply and demand (new ship, Summer, NYC, etc.) but this is over the top. We were on the Coral in December for the Panama Canal and the cost was a lot less than what you are looking at.

We like Princess and love Celebrity, but the 2006 prices have driven us elsewhere. We just booked 12 nights in a balcony on Oceania (February vs. July which, IMHO, is more appealing) for less. It is a small ship (we have wanted to try one) that offers limited smoking, a great itinerary of smaller Caribbean ports, and (we hear) wonderful service and cuisine. It is RT from Miami instead of NYC, but that is fine with us.

We are booked on the Crown Princess for 8/25/06. When comparing to other cruiselines, for sailings from NY in the summer, you're talking prime real estate. RCCL's Explorer of the Seas is doing a 9 nite out of Bayonne, NJ and is much higher than the Crown. We are on the Voyager out of Bayonne this August and are paying more for our cruise this year than next year's Princess cruise. We recently sailed on the Caribbean Princess and loved it. The Crown is a "sister" ship.

It all relative, but if you want a quality cruise out of NY next summer for 9 nights, you won't get any cheaper, except for Carnival and Norwegian Dawn. Never been on them, so can not comment. I just know the Crown will be wonderful for us and the Explorer is too expensive and crowded.

Hope that puts things in perspective. Maybe once our youngest son is off to college, we can cruise in the off season and get those bargains, too.

Thanks for the replies.

Yep, summer is peak cruising time for sure. But, I do have to include my son. When he gets older..then I can go off season and less bucks. If I break it down, its a little over 200 a day. Thats what you pay for a hotel room here in NYC with no food. Carnival is cheaper for a cat 8f extended balcony..but there prices have gone up this year along with everyone elses..they go out for 8 days.

I put a hold on the July 20, 2006, but may change it to July 2.

So Princess cruisers, do you think I should give that cruise line a go?

I would love to experience a brand new ship..wow 9 days is awesome.

Ill let you know my decision.

We are booked on the Crown Princess for 8/25/06. When comparing to other cruiselines, for sailings from NY in the summer, you're talking prime real estate. RCCL's Explorer of the Seas is doing a 9 nite out of Bayonne, NJ and is much higher than the Crown. We are on the Voyager out of Bayonne this August and are paying more for our cruise this year than next year's Princess cruise. We recently sailed on the Caribbean Princess and loved it. The Crown is a "sister" ship.

It all relative, but if you want a quality cruise out of NY next summer for 9 nights, you won't get any cheaper, except for Carnival and Norwegian Dawn. Never been on them, so can not comment. I just know the Crown will be wonderful for us and the Explorer is too expensive and crowded.

Hope that puts things in perspective. Maybe once our youngest son is off to college, we can cruise in the off season and get those bargains, too.

We are sailing out of Port Liberty in November for a nine night repo on the Constellation. We got it at a great price in January, but it has gone up too (I think mainly because of the new pricing structure from Celebrity and our TA's group is now filled). Boston prices are pretty steep for 2006 as well. It would be nice to not have to fly, but, with a lot of frequent flyer miles to burn, that will be our choice to get a better value.

We are lucky that we have some flexibility in our travel dates (no children), but we cannot travel on very short notice. If we could, we would definitely take advantage of some of the numerous offers we seem to get every day.

I just think the current pricing strategy the cruise lines are following will force a lot of cruisers to delay their bookings (or leave for other alternatives). Whatever the end result is, I think it might backfire on them.

I might be all wet, but the market will decide.

Hi, everyone! Wow, looks like the Crown is going to be a hit! We're booked for September 3 and, so far, it looks like we may have the ship to ourselves!

Just a reminder, the Crown will sail from the still-under-construction Red Hook Terminal in Brooklyn, not from Manhattan. ;)

Have a great holiday weekend.

Here is my take on this.

Ive done some research and spoken to several people in the travel industry, along with reports from the NY Times. The cruise industry, especially out of NYC, is experiencing a huge demand. Why do you think cruise lines are now coming back to once was one of the greatest ports in the world. The NY Times had an article on an area in Brooklyn (Red Hook) being looked over for a possible dock for cruise ships. Carnival for one has an eye on it. Brooklyn does have the old navy yard as well. All deep water ports. The new ships get down to the Carribean in 2 days. Look at what Princess did,,they make a stop in Bermuda now after only 1 day at sea then go on. I think they are now going to give Carnival and RC a run for their money. Time will tell and hopefully will be to our benefit as far as pricing and diversity.

So with this huge demand for cruising out of NYC, the cruise lines are, IMO, hedging their bets with the prices. I think when many more cruise lines start setting up shop here in NYC, we will then see real competitive pricing. Till then, the demand is greater than the supply and during peak months in the summer these cruises are virtually sold out in NYC. People are telling me that the money they save on flying to a port or to anywhere for that matter can be used to cruise. My last cruise in the summer was chock filled with people from the NY, NJ, CT & PA area.

We have been spooked here after 9/11. I still fly, but many of friends do not now. They would rather just walk on to a vacation and pay what they ask, especially for the convenience. Not counting Long Island and the surrounding tri-state area, there are millions of people here. Thats alot of prospective cruisers. I for one, never cruised till Carnival opened up shop here.

Im hoping the prices will start to come down. But in the interim, Im still interestred in the new Crown Princess leaving out of NYC. Lets hope the supply over rides the demand. Then we can see some bargains again!!! Keep your fingers crossed.

Starz, is the price you were quoted from Princess for just you and your son, or is it for two adults with your son sharing the same cabin? I would also check into private TA's rather than book with Princess. You will almost always get a better price than the cruiseline will give you.

Also, I don't know if you are interested, but I know of a group that is going August 25. I'm not sure you can wait that late in the summer, but most schools in the Northeast don't return until after labor day. If you can wait, I'd be happy to send you the website address so you can check our their prices. They are pretty good. We can't make that cruise, but we have some friends going on it, and the price seemed pretty reasonable.

Starz- My sentiments, exactly. Let's hope the prices come down when pax no longer willing to pay! Our Voyager sailing still has plenty of cabins available and final payment is due in a few days. The prices are up $500pp for all categories since we booked last Aug. Somehow, they will probably fill those cabins at the higher prices. People are still willing to pay.

Jerseygirl- Is that the group that Sheree is with? We're already corresponding with her. The price she is paying is comparable to the one I got from my TA for the 8/25/06 sailing.

We've booked the inaugural sailing -- June 14, 2006.:D The festivities and send off for this sailing should be wonderful!! I've always dreamed of sailing on a big new ship out of New York harbor. I agree the prices are a bit high, but opportunities to sail on a maiden voyage don't come along very often.

Laura

Jerseygirl...please give me the info on that group cruise..thank you so much.

That price I was quoted was from princess and its for me and my son who is 13. You know that they dont care what age the 2nd person is...its the first two ppl in a room get the big rate and the third person gets the cheaper rate. I prolly will book it with myself, my BF & my son.

I will check out a TA and a couple of online sites. some of the sites dont have the crown princess yet.

I think Princess is smart to send off a new ship out of NY. they are getting the people. I have to tell you, when I called Princess, they told me the July 2 & 20 sailing is booking up already..wow..and with those prices.

How could I forget Maryland..My bf is from MD and he is cruising again with me this coming July out of NYC on Carnival.

Oh,,I noticed we are getting many Canadians that just drive on down to NYC. So thats another one to factor in. Its much easier for them to drive here than to fly down to FL.

Starz...The price I was quoted by Princess for September was almost $500 more than the price I paid through my favorite online TA for DH and me. I had originally booked through Princess to secure the exact cabin I wanted. When I found the lower rate, I faxed Princess a note to release my booking to the other TA.

I had booked an 8 day Eastern w/RCI on the Jewel from FLL. The Crown is $600 cheaper, will add an extra day, the ship will be brand new, there's no airport hassle and Personal Choice dining is another big plus. So, the Crown won hands down for me. ;)

That price I was quoted was from princess and its for me and my son who is 13. You know that they dont care what age the 2nd person is...its the first two ppl in a room get the big rate and the third person gets the cheaper rate. I prolly will book it with myself, my BF & my son.

I will check out a TA and a couple of online sites. some of the sites dont have the crown princess yet.

How could I forget Maryland..My bf is from MD and he is cruising again with me this coming July out of NYC on Carnival. QUOTE]

Hi, all. We have deposits for the 7/11 and 7/20 sailings, as back-to-back sailings are such a treat. Also, we visited NYC for the first time in March and fell in love with the Times Square area and hope to stay a few days before the cruises. We applied our on-board deposits from last year's cruise and the 3 of us are booked in a cat. AB mini-suite. In checking on-line websites, it looks as though prices have dropped a bit recently, so hopefully, we'll still get a reduction in our fare.

We're excited!

For summer months, I wouldn't hesitate to put something on hold. Cabins will sell like hotcakes during the summer.

Our sailing is not until Oct. 9, the kids are back in school and I'm hoping for a drop in price.

I haven't sailed Princess since 2001 but have heard only great things.

We booked September 12 2006, Western route. BB Aft balcony C752 for $1352. pp, not bad considering we will not need airfare. We are looking forward to our first Princess cruise, did Royal Caribbean last year and all others have been on Celebrity.

We booked the 9/30/2005 sailing with a price for an inside of $1140 which I do not think is bad. You don't have the airfare, its 9 days, and a new ship!!!

Mike, as for Bermuda, its a full day, the same as any other island. Have a great time on the cruise you booked!

I have liked sailing from NY in the past, very convenient and you don't have the hassle of airports and flights.

We are excited about this as it will be our first time on Princess. We have friends who sailed the Caribbean Princess and absolutely loved it.

Hi all,

We are booked for the 6/23 eastern cruise on the Crown. The prices were a little steep even with our TA but it gives us a chance to bring our family with us since we don't have to fly. The prices we got were $1,850 pp for a balcony for us and $1,425pp for 2 inside rooms plus $825 for our grandchild who will be 9 months old at the time. The price there is steep for the grandchild (who isn't born yet) because he will not be eating or doing anything else older people do. All Princess cares about is that it is a 3rd person.

I was told that the parking prices at the pier was about $28 per day, is that right? If so it will be a lot cheaper for me to rent a van to get us down and have one waiting for us when we get back.

The price may be high for this cruise but it will be once in a lifetime for us to have the whole family there. The only other problem with this is that I am footing the bill for this. :rolleyes:

Archived