A Grouch Does the Prinsendam – Live

whogo

Whogo. You were missed at the M&G (had a turnout of just over 50%) on the 1st full day so it was surmised you were one of a few who had missed sailing from Rome. Lovely to put all the old people out in the wind and rain for lifeboat with in-charges who had no waterproof paper and couldn't hear for the wind so in the event of stormy seas and rain in a real emergency, there'll be no effective roll call. Every man for himself.

Did note that 8 people who did not appear to be entertainers embark in Alicante and came across one couple from the U.S. who stupidly had arranged their flights with HAL who would not arrange to fly them out of NY ahead of Sandy. They were diverted via Casablanca and boarded in Malage (missed 2 whole days, 3 nights).

As for the average cruiser's age, my partner and I must have been the 2nd or 3rd youngest couple at 50. There was a Swiss(?) couple in their late 20s/very early 30s and one teenager.

Don't try the miso soup for the Japanese breakfast. Insipid. Had it on my first day and never again. The corn beef hash as a strange tomato base added to it.

Sorry I missed the meet and greet, cruising cockroach. I met eight of the group elsewhere. If you are 50, you were about the youngest couple aboard. The 15 year old teenager was the daughter of one of the musicians on board and I heard she did not stay on for the whole cruise. The young couple was half Swiss, I forget where the other was from. No one I spoke to mentioned problems with their flights to Rome.

It was a great cruise. Best ship, best service, best food, best fellow passengers we have had. Loved the size of the Prinsendam, loved our cabin. Although we did not use the balcony much, the big glass doors were a welcome addition.

I realize that I made too much of the minor cruise hiccups, but it is not in my nature to gush over the things that go right. Almost everything went right, not that you can tell it in this thread. I did like cruise director Carlos and I am sure that Holland America is contractually obligated to announce their contractor's specials regularly. Carlos ran a good trivia game and arranged some special entertainment by the ship's performers in the Ocean Bar and Crow's Nest. My hat is off to him. The ship's performers shone in these specials.

Lifestylist Meagan, piano man Daryl, assistant cruise director Marcel, lecturer Jim McParland, and our cabin stewards deserve special praise. Open seating waiters and front desk staff did a fine job. I did not interact with other staff enough to single them out for praise.

This is as gushy as I get. Forgive any exaggeration for comedic effect. With the laundry done, the leaves raked, and a fixed price for internet I can post a few pictures.

October 31, 2012

I am delighted with our cabin. Big walk in closet, big bathroom with tub, plenty of room, and a balcony. The thermostat is holding a uniform 69 degrees and the refrigerator that I do not expect to use is at 50 degrees. Yes, I brought thermometers.

8200876837_c66ae5be59_b.jpg

8200887643_ec857e4d4c_b.jpg

8201979856_45f7cced0b_b.jpg8201980322_e6630c322c_b.jpg

November 1, 2012 To answer you questions, the dessert for sale may have been a drink. I tuned out as soon as I saw the dollar sign. Nothing for sale on tonight's menu, but yes, they did ask again if we wanted to buy their triple filtered water for $2.95. I hope they do not continue the pitch all the way to Ft. Lauderdale.

8200886425_4735303c0c_b.jpg

November 2, 2012

Beautiful weather in Alicante, warm and sunny.

The indoor Central Market amazed us with stall after stall of butcher shops. One gets a better idea of where meat comes from when you see rabbits and lambs displayed with their heads on. Pigs feet, pigs heads, pigs ears, hearts and other organs are on offer. Some slab of meat was folded or rolled like I have never seen. The market continued with fish, fruits and vegetables. I love seeing things that are nothing at all like home.

8201978516_79258af764_b.jpg

8201978980_770c51e93f_b.jpg

November 2, 2012

Our best experiences were unplanned. We stumbled upon a charming little square, well shaded by immense fig trees, and enjoyed a drink from at an outside table. Lovely place.

8201047359_234a92d032_b.jpg

8202140576_18c5263468_b.jpg

The town hall plaza had everything a toddler could want, pigeons, puddles, and little squirting fountains. It was a joy to see the delight on the kids' faces.

8200884831_2a788b8a32_b.jpg

We took the elevator up to Castle Santa Barbara for good views, a little clambering around, and to see a few artifacts in a couple of small museums. A fellow cruiser, 80 years old, walked up. Well done to him.

8202139946_7d72830da7_b.jpg

8201045661_295ebc1dc5_b.jpg

Guide Mauro led us through the streets of Vejer de la Frontera, a hilltop village from the middle ages with old walls and white houses with a strong Moorish influence. I took plenty of pictures of twisty streets, little squares, and courtyards. It would be dazzling with a sunny blue sky. As it was, the sky was the same as the white houses.

8202142056_a49777749a_b.jpg

8201048681_2471de7d96_b.jpg

8201050053_2c261c03d7_b.jpg

Lamb chops again for dinner, I am a happy camper.

8200882081_57fc59e196_b.jpg

Another dessert oddity: My chocolate chip ice cream was vanilla ice cream with four chocolate chips on top. The Prinsendam cast heard my comments about the show and put on a good one tonight. No star gazing again, it is windy and rainy.

8200884393_bbdf240a48_b.jpg

November 5, 2012

Our private excursion for eight featured an excellent guide. The highlight of the tour was Pena Palace in Sintra, the inspiration for the castle that inspired the Disney castle. Built in a mix of architectural styles and set on a hilltop in a forest, the castle was furnished and offered views all the way to the Atlantic.

8201977104_b1258073d1_b.jpg

November 5, 2012 Our excursion continued... to Cascais [where I could barely walk on this sidewalk pattern]

8200883519_551bca2079_b.jpg

November 8, 2012

The island of Faial, Azores, was a delight with lush greenery, small fields, cows, goats and small towns.

8202142852_d845144060_b.jpg

November 8, 2012

We wandered around Capelinhos, the site of a 1957-58 volcanic eruption that added a square mile of land to the island. Beautiful landscape has few plants. We were able to walk down to the ocean. Guide, bus, and driver were good. Others reported good luck using a taxi for less money.

8201050401_29ca5cfb7e_b.jpg

You are only paranoid if you think you are being watched. You are being watched. The cabin steward watches you. The waiters watch you. The Lido servers watch you. The officers watch you. The bartenders watch you. How else could they have your beverage ready before you are seated? More importantly, WE are watching you. I could be the cabin steward, I could be the bartender, I should work harder on your pouched eggs. They watch all of us. You are not alone. They watch ALL of us.

QUOTE=whogo;36123804]8202142852_d845144060_b.jpg

8201050401_29ca5cfb7e_b.jpg

Archived